Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #318 of 422
Great Can Jam and finally got to hear the Sony Z1R. Very impressive but not quite impressive enough for me to pay for them. I brought the Nightowl for reference. VS the Nightowl? I'd have to spend a bit more time comparing, and in a more quiet environment. I wound up buying the Schiit Yggdrasil and Mr. Speakers Aeon. Aeon has a different tuning but it's a nice complement to the Nightowl. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #319 of 422

For those in the USA needing to order earpads

https://shop.audioquest.com/

What about cables without a microphone.  With all the USB ports, DACs, and amplifiers lots of us don't answer the phone with our headphones.

Or as I like to say.

"Phones ?, I don't need no stinkin' phone with my Headphones !!!"

While I'm here, I'd like to give a 'Shout Out" to Magnolia HQ to see if they could please "Get the Lead out" of whatever the Holdup is on getting my NO out to the store (Or at least commit to an ETA) that I ordered them from over a month ago here in N.J (USA)

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #322 of 422
  Has anyone compared both of the new headphones to each other yet? Trying to decide if I should buy the NightOwls or the new NightHawks....

That's a pretty easy call. If you have the ability to use open headphones on a regular basis then get the NH. If you require the isolation then you'll want the NO. Closed headphones by design will always have more challenges than their open back brethren when it comes to overall sound quality. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #323 of 422
  Has anyone compared both of the new headphones to each other yet? Trying to decide if I should buy the NightOwls or the new NightHawks....

-What Matt said. 

They are very similar, but if you directly compare them the Nighthawk sounds more "open". The Nightowl has an extremely impressive soundstage-for a closed headphone, but the Nighthawk's soundstage is noticeably better. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #326 of 422

-What Matt said. 

They are very similar, but if you directly compare them the Nighthawk sounds more "open". The Nightowl has an extremely impressive soundstage-for a closed headphone, but the Nighthawk's soundstage is noticeably better. 

I'm pretty sure I know what open as opposed to closed backed headphones are doing to handle the sound differently specific to how much of the frequency spectrum response is (normally) allowed to resonate in either design.

I look at statements about the SS being created by one design versus the other as being "noticeably better" as being an individually subjective. It may be easier to hear more non specific non localized sound coming from a generalized area location, but for it to be actual SS information you have to be able to hear some specific inner localization of sound for it to be Soundstage information. Soundstages simply don't exist in real life to the semi-infinite degree of openness that a lot of people like to think of as Soundstage (The recording location would have had to been several times larger than it actually was; & that's being conservative).

Noticeably better ? That might just be how it works for someone's definition of what Soundstage should sound like to them. 1 more thing these headphones are anything but simply Open Backed & Closed Backed designs (He,he.he..... Forget about making backhanded compliments about "For a 'such & such' headphone. If they spent as much time developing these headphones that went out the window a long time ago)

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #327 of 422
When I tried to listen to the NightOwls on my iPhone it kept opening Siri every 10 seconds. This has never happened with any of my other headphones. Does anybody else have experience with this issue? It's the original cord but I don't have another to see if that's the problem. It also works fine with my Zune.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #328 of 422
  When I tried to listen to the NightOwls on my iPhone it kept opening Siri every 10 seconds. This has never happened with any of my other headphones. Does anybody else have experience with this issue? It's the original cord but I don't have another to see if that's the problem. It also works fine with my Zune.

Is the play button on the cable stuck and triggering Siri?

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #329 of 422
That's probably it. The button works to pause and play music and then it will randomly pause and play music as well as open up Siri.

Something else weird just started happening. When I listen on my computer the music will get louder and more detailed when I hold the button.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #330 of 422
  That's probably it. The button works to pause and play music and then it will randomly pause and play music as well as open up Siri.

Something else weird just started happening. When I listen on my computer the music will get louder and more detailed when I hold the button.

I don't know ,but it sounds like that mic button isn't that "Discrete"

(I dont know what the Owner's Manual has to say about how many operational clicks it takes to move the switch from 1 mode to another; Sounds to me like this cable with the mic button should have been an optional cable not the supplied primary cable)

Maybe they should have just included this "switch" as an optional "plug in" Adaptor (So instead of using the 1/4" adaptor you'd use "switch" adaptor ; No more worries about how "Discrete"the switch has to be using that configuration)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back