Introducing NEO iDSD2! The world's first lossless Bluetooth DAC/Amp...
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #123 of 258
I've been reading the e-manual downloaded from their site, and i don't understand if the unit can work also as a Pre-Amp for active speakers, and how i can select different outputs (headphone or speakers).
Does anybody know?
I tried it with speakers, there is a setting to use variable on the neo to control its output volume

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #126 of 258
I just started using Neo iDSD2 and have noticed that the "XBass" effect on it is way less pronounced than on my iFi Zan DAC V2...even with the low bass and presence parts are activated. Is my unit defective, or is the Xbass just more subtle on the Neo iDSD 2?

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #127 of 258
It's been asked before but not answered, does the analogue input stay analogue and just pass through the analogue volume control - or does it pass through and ADC stage then the DAC to convert it back to analogue (unfortunately too many all-in-one devices do this).

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #128 of 258
I've had my iDSD2 for two weeks. For a $900 AIO, I can't find a major fault with it. The build quality has improved from the 1st gen model. The buttons and knob have a solid feel to them. The screen and menu settings are a breeze to navigate.

General Use-
The remote came with a battery! It has great range and works from wide angles. It feels well built and is a great upgrade from the gen 1 model.

The NEXIS app is good for OTA firmware updates, and thats all I would ever use it for. Connecting to the unit using the iOS app is a tedious process that I wouldn't want to do regularly. If you want to control the unit from a distance, use the IR remote.

I don't use MQA, DSD files, or IEMs, so I can't comment one how it works with them.

DAC-
I use mine mainly as a DAC, with a Bluesound Node X using coax and USB connections. I haven't experienced any dropouts using the coax out on the Node X. Older Bluesound Nodes suffer from high jitter, and high bitrate files can stutter using coax out. I've used the iDSD2 wth Schiit Lyr+ and Feliks Elise MK2. It has a very wide and tall soundstage. I've had RME ADI2, and iDSD2 sounds more expansive than the RME. I quickly settled on the MIN filter with the iDSD2. GTO seems to make the music feel a tad rushed, mainly when using the USB connection.

The subtle audible differences with the filters on iDSD2 are more noticeable than the ones on Gustard X26Pro. X26 has a bit more slam, but also strikes me as a DAC that simply throws out a big, warmish wall of sound. I prefer the relaxed presentation of iDSD2. It pulls out just as many details as the X26 and notes have more air to them than on X26. iDSD2 is not a slow DAC, its very lively, but not to the point of being fatiguing or artificial sounding.

Amp-
Using Meze 109Pro and Arya Stealth on medium gain (the flame), I don't find the treble on either of them to be offensive at all. Great bass on both cans, and plenty of current to let the Arya do some punching. When I tried the highest gain setting with 109, there was audible hiss, but they're also 40ohm 112db. Using Meze 99Classic I had to listen closely in medium gain to hear a slight background hiss. Focal Elegia on medium gain are silent.

I briefly tried Senn HD 660s2 and ZMF Atrium with the NEO. Medium gain gave them enough power with silent backgrounds, but the soundstage was closed in. I really wasn't expecting good results with high impedance cans. The 1/4" output on the Node X with the Atrium impressed me more than the NEO, bringing out an impressive amount of slam and greater soundstage. I haven't been able to find any output impedance specs for either unit to see how they compare.

Final Thought-
I sold my X26. The iDSD2 might be the DAC I've been chasing. It's a great example of a mid-fi component that can compete with higher priced units.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #132 of 258
I read that you tried it with the Atrium.
Open or closed? Was it enough to drive them or not?
Do you suggest to use this DAC/AMP only with low impedance Headphones?
They were Atrium Open. Yes, it has enough power to drive them to listenable levels, but you won't hear their true potential. If someone only has high impedance cans, the iDSD2 might not be a good choice.

Meze 109 and iDSD2 are a phenomenal pairing. That combo sounds about the same as Feliks Echo and Atrium Open.

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #133 of 258
How to you go about hooking up an external DAC to this thing?

edit -

Also, using fixed RCA out to a stereo amp, do I need to unplug headphones to receive audio signal via RCA output?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #134 of 258
Just had confirmation from someone at iFi that the analogue input stays analogue, and is not converted to digital, then back to analogue.

This is great news to those who want an all-in-one device that can work as a DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #135 of 258
Just had confirmation from someone at iFi that the analogue input stays analogue, and is not converted to digital, then back to analogue.

This is great news to those who want an all-in-one device that can work as a DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

Does that mean it can be used as a single ended DAC input then? (Mojo 2)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back