Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #496 of 687
I have them, as far as the volume swipe goes, you can do long swipes instead of one big swipe which gives you more control. My auto on/off works perfectly, i even put em in the case and turned it upside down, threw em on the bed and just tried to get them to turn on but they wouldnt. So it works well for me

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your reply!

With the long slow swipe is it easy to change the volume by one step only? Do you use an Android device?

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #497 of 687
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your reply!

With the long slow swipe is it easy to change the volume by one step only? Do you use an Android device?

Just to report that I also didn't notice auto on/off problems, noting that I charge the headphones every few days so if a problem happened I may have not noticed.

Regarding the swipes, short swipes up/down modify the volume by 1 step while long swipes modify the volume by 3 steps or so. The touch controls are not very precise though so sometimes you'll aim for one of the actions and get the other.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #498 of 687
That doesnt happen to me at all, i even tried hitting my palm, my hand or even my shoulder on the touch oad and though the touch was registered and made a sound, it didnt actually control anything and didnt interrupt my listening
Just to report that I also didn't notice auto on/off problems, noting that I charge the headphones every few days so if a problem happened I may have not noticed.

Regarding the swipes, short swipes up/down modify the volume by 1 step while long swipes modify the volume by 3 steps or so. The touch controls are not very precise though so sometimes you'll aim for one of the actions and get the other.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #499 of 687
I actually have mine turn off a lot while lying down. I think the sensors aren't calibrated that well. At first I thought I must had dozed off and managed to turn off the headphones using the button on the rear. Looking closer, it seems it would be difficult due to the curvature around the button, and last night they turned off while I was wide awake and listening to an audio book. I moved my hand behind the ear and the button was nowhere near the pillow. I guess the sensors somehow concluded the headphones weren't on?

It also takes very small adjustments to have the headphones bleep and bloop at you while listening to whatever you are playing. I've taken to sliding the headphone off the ear to not hear it all time if my wife is saying something to me. I wish there were a mode to ONLY power off when I press the button ONLY stop playback when I stop it. Electronics are surprisingly bad at being smart and I wish companies would realize they aren't as good at it as they think they are (this isn't just a Sennheiser issue).
That doesnt happen to me at all, i even tried hitting my palm, my hand or even my shoulder on the touch oad and though the touch was registered and made a sound, it didnt actually control anything and didnt interrupt my listening

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #500 of 687
I actually have mine turn off a lot while lying down. I think the sensors aren't calibrated that well. At first I thought I must had dozed off and managed to turn off the headphones using the button on the rear. Looking closer, it seems it would be difficult due to the curvature around the button, and last night they turned off while I was wide awake and listening to an audio book. I moved my hand behind the ear and the button was nowhere near the pillow. I guess the sensors somehow concluded the headphones weren't on?

It also takes very small adjustments to have the headphones bleep and bloop at you while listening to whatever you are playing. I've taken to sliding the headphone off the ear to not hear it all time if my wife is saying something to me. I wish there were a mode to ONLY power off when I press the button ONLY stop playback when I stop it. Electronics are surprisingly bad at being smart and I wish companies would realize they aren't as good at it as they think they are (this isn't just a Sennheiser issue).
Have you cleaned the sensor? I have to keep mine clean and make sure not to get it stained with sweat otherwise it does the same stuff as yours.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #501 of 687
I haven't cleaned the sensor yet. I inspected it with a light source and it didn't seem dirty at all, but I'll try to give a go with a bit of microfiber cloth before tonight to see if it makes any difference. I have a feeling it has more to do with how the ears are positioned differently while lying down and the headphones are angled quite differently from when you are standing.
Have you cleaned the sensor? I have to keep mine clean and make sure not to get it stained with sweat otherwise it does the same stuff as yours.

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #503 of 687
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #505 of 687
The momentum 4 sounds very good, but they are useless outside when its windy ( my opinion). Tried them yesterday outside, when it was just a little windy. Called a friend, and the noise from the wind was an pain in the ass, for both me and my friend. I hope they will fix this with an update.

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #510 of 687
I just got these.

Sound
Sound is great. My main pair is a Sennheiser HD 600. The Momentum 4 feel like a closed back version of those with a subbass extention all the way down to 20hz.

Bluetooth and App
So far I didn't have any problem. Neither connecting to my phone, neither connecting to the app. The app also works as it should (android).

ANC and Transparency
ANC is slightly worse compared to my now broken Sony XM3. There is also more of a pressure feeling with the Sennheiser. The transparency mode is strange. Even if I'm inside a building with absolutely no wind (not even AC), the headphones produce some kind of strong wind noise.

Build quality
This I can't really talk about. I own some pairs of Sennheiser headphones which are made out of plastic and are still going strong even after 5+ years. So Sennheiser definitely know how to make solid plastic. With Bluetooth headphones, the plastic is more prone to UV exposure, which deteriorates plastic way faster, and I have no idea which kind of plastic got used with the Momentum 4.
They feel better than Sony XM3 and XM5, but worse than B&W PX7 S2.

Comfort
The headband feels good. The ear cups not so much. I have no idea if they are too small, too shallow, or if the shape just doesn't fit my ears. Both ears touch the inside of the headphones, the right ear is slightly worse. If I fiddle around and find just the right spot, they are ok comfort wise, but just ok. And this is too much hassle for me.
I can't really get behind Sennheiser's reasoning for changing the ear cup design. I have two pairs of Sennheiser open back headphones (HD 598 and HD 600), with which I have no problems comfort wise, I tried the Momentum 3 and had no problems either, but the Momentum 4 don't seem to fit.

I really tried to like them. I love the sound (like it better than the Momentum 3), but every time I think about wearing them, I second guess. This isn't a good sign. The Sony XM3 got somewhat uncomfortable after maybe 4 hours, which is normal. The Momentum 4 are uncomfortable from the get go, if they don't sit just right on my head, and still then, my ears immediately feel irritated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back