Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #391 of 688
Shame that there is no parametric EQ planned. Parametric is quite a bit better than a graphic eq could ever hope to be. So, does the MW4 always force some degree of sound shaping on you unless you completely defeat all of the onboard electronics? Hopefully not. DSP should always be fully controllable by the user and in my mind if I want say some ANC, that should not be coupled with an automatic DSP.

I have been using wireless headphones for years now and I never bother with the supplied apps because the companies never bother to do the leg work and develop a proper parametric eq. Frankly, I believe they don't bother because it is more difficult whereas dropping in a graphic eq is just so simple and cheap. I always use the built in parametric eq in Neutron or the FIR equalizer in Onkyo HF Player. I want to make those decisions, I don't want a company making them for me. One reason I never go Apple for anything, they like to also dumb everything down for the user which in effect means they have made many decisions for the user that could easily be left to the user. If we screw the sound up that should be our right, we bought the product so turn over the helm to us I say.

I could be wrong and the MW4 does allow full DSP to be defeated by the user and still have ANC available. I also realize that many people won't care about this so I am not saying you should care. That is a personal choice. For me I know having these decisions made for me by Sennheiser prevented me from investing in the MW3. I hope things have changed this time around as I would love to try the MW4.
As I understand Senn did do it on App for the Senn Ambeo Bar, but then changed it due to complaints

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #392 of 688
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 5, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #393 of 688
AptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with AptX HD.
Yes according to Qualcomm, but then please explain why:
1. AptX HD are not supported in the MM4 Specifications?
2. Why AptX HD does not show up in the App? It does show “Apt X Adaptive” if transmitting from a Apt X Adaptive source device, but shows “No Codec” with Apt X HD.

By the way excellent that you do actually show APT X ADAPTIVE, AAC, SBC in the App. I am referring to the Senn MM4 App.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #394 of 688
@ericpalonen: Any news regarding the channel imbalance between left/right channels? (Like for example measured in the soundguys review: Click) Has this been improved via update or is there an update in the works? Is there a changelog available what has been changed since launch? I would greatly appreciate it.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #395 of 688
@ericpalonen: Any news regarding the channel imbalance between left/right channels? (Like for example measured in the soundguys review: Click) Has this been improved via update or is there an update in the works? Is there a changelog available what has been changed since launch? I would greatly appreciate it.

This is partly a hardware issue that I don't think can be easily solved by a firmware update.
Some - actually most - ANC headphones tend to vary quite a lot with coupling in terms of FR above the range where the feedback mechanism operates. More on what the effect of the feedback mechanism is here : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051

Soundguy's main channel imbalance at 2kHz is aligned rather well with Rtings' consistency results :
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 20.33.25.png
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 20.34.12.png

I've taken the habit of measuring under varying degree of pad compression or pull headphones with in-ear mics, on my own head (cf. link above).
The M4's behaviour under pad compression shows that 2kHz is where it varies the most (same methodology as the link above, solid traces under pad compression, dotted red traces under pull - introducing leakage - blue traces the FR as they naturally sit on my own head, compensated to a flat line) :
Senn M4 anc On (no adaptive) comp norm.jpg

In other words the M4's design is probably susceptible to minutes differences in the 2kHz region (pads being slightly different, coupling with one's anatomy being slightly different on each side, etc.).

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #396 of 688
Thanks for the response! I thought at least some of it could be related to different electronics located in the left/right earcup behind/around the drivers.

Also not sure how much of an issue this is in real-world listening. But I thought it was mentioned in a lot of M4 reviews, whereas I did not read anything similar in most other BT ANC headphone reviews that I remember. I will try to give them a listen at a local store and hear for myself.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #397 of 688
My review has been posted over in the reviews section!

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #399 of 688
Is there an option to completely disable ANC?

It's what kept me away from these when they came out (have no use for it and I'm sensitive to air pressure).

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #401 of 688
Has anyone tried these in the gym? My XM3s have finally died on me and liked to use those in the gym - wasn’t too fussed about getting them sweaty. The QC35 iis were also good for exercise as they were light and comfortable but they’ve been discontinued (and I kinda hate how the QC45 sounds) - thinking maybe the Momentum 4 could fit the bill…?

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #402 of 688
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 3, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #403 of 688
I recently picked up a pair and everything has been going smoothly so far. I love the sound and gesture controls. The only issues I've had were pertaining to build quality. The creaking issue has started for me and I plan to apply lube (will update as a reply once completed). Another "issue" (not sure if it's the right term as it may be by design) is that the left and right cup don't go into/out of the headband as smoothly as one another. Adjusting the left side up and down feels very smooth (almost a little loose); adjusting the right side up and down feels very tight (a little too tight as if something is stuck in there). Any idea on what to do? I am thinking maybe a dab of lube there would work well too. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #404 of 688
I found a solution for the creaking issue. If you use plumbers grease (like $3 at Home Depot) and apply it to the part that creaks the most. It should get rid of the creaking. I tried it a couple days ago and it’s still gone!

I’m having this issue now. Where did you apply the plumbers/silicone grease?

I’m so frustrated. Been buying Sennheiser stuff since the early 2000s and this is the first product of theirs I’ve bought where the quality control is not up to par, by a LONG shot.

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #405 of 688
I’m having this issue now. Where did you apply the plumbers/silicone grease?

I’m so frustrated. Been buying Sennheiser stuff since the early 2000s and this is the first product of theirs I’ve bought where the quality control is not up to par, by a LONG shot.
Hey, terribly sorry for the late response.

For the lube, there are 3 areas on each side. I added a picture and circled them. The main area you want to do are the two areas where the yoke meets the earcup. Make sure to apply with a thin brush and move the cups back and forth as you do so. The creaking will instantly go away. Wipe off any excess (tbh it's best not to put too much excess either way, start with a very very very tiny amount, literally just enough to be on the tip of a thin brush) with a cleaning cloth. If the mark is stubborn (which 99.99% it won't be) just use some water and 70% isopropyl alcohol in a 50/50 diluted solution.

If you want to be extra safe, maybe try doing it around the area it swivels (also circled in the picture). Put some lube, work it in, twist the cups, work in more, twist again, etc. Wipe excess at the end.

There is a 4th area I tried which is the sliding mechanism. I would not recommend this, however, as it does not do anything. I thought it would make the sliding on mine have an equal tightness on both sides. It did not. The only thing that happened was that they felt (and looked) greasier. Same goes for the swivel being loose on right vs left. I tried getting a replacement but that one was worse in every regard. I ended up returning them altogether. I just do not have the time to keep reordering and returning until I get lucky.

Such a shame honestly. These were my first set of headphones (or any wireless audio device for that matter) and I really wanted to keep them. I lucked out with not having any issues like unbalanced driver, faulty wear sensor, etc). I especially loved the convenience features they had like pausing audio on transparency mode, powering on/off with the case, long battery life, etc. Honestly the plastic isn't what turned me off. It was the poor quality control. I would hope that with any product, they would at least make it so that symmetry is maintained (i.e. if the left cup swivels and slides loose, the right side should too, if the left side is tight, the left should be tight too, etc). Things like that are a really big turn off for me and many others. FWIW the plastic and overall build quality is 100000x better than Sony's WH1000XM5.

That said I hope they really pull things together and make it so the next line is better built and free of such defects.

Attachments

• lube areas.png
    lube areas.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back