Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #376 of 687
Having now used the Momentum 4s for about 200 hours i have to say that overall i am very happy with the purchase. Sound quality is much better than i expected and ANC and call functionality have served me well. Based on my recommendation two of my friends have bought the Momentum 4s and have been very pleased with the product.
I have experienced one lock up that has required a factory reset to resolve, and there has been a couple of glitches with multipoint dropping the connection. It also seems that Smart Control is unable to connect to the headphones when multipoint is in use.
Yesterday i noticed the stitching on the other earpad had started to open, which i find a bit disappointing. As i’ve been quite careful in handling the headphones i wonder is this issue covered by the warranty? As a long time Sennheiser user i haven’t experienced this before.
DDF1510D-8827-40C2-BDCB-FA84B26E0862.jpeg

I hope Sennheiser will actively develop Smart Control and the firmware to improve the power on feature and add the high end sound tuning option, as i feel there should be a shortcut to a neutral sound profile without experimenting with the equalizer. I would also like to be able to disable the touchpad for the gym.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #377 of 687
Maximum ANC is achieved with the bar setup to the most left, OR with adaptive ON given you are in an environment with constant noise. Because otherwise the ANC level will be decreased or increased depending on the noise.

Adaptive is NOT better than manual ANC to the left if you want to achieve max active noise cancellation.
That’s not what i meant. In the NOISIEST ENVIRONMENTS according to SO NOVA who created this headphone they were sure that ADAPTIVE ON will be more effective then manual ANC TO LEFT.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #380 of 687
Having now used the Momentum 4s for about 200 hours i have to say that overall i am very happy with the purchase. Sound quality is much better than i expected and ANC and call functionality have served me well. Based on my recommendation two of my friends have bought the Momentum 4s and have been very pleased with the product.
I have experienced one lock up that has required a factory reset to resolve, and there has been a couple of glitches with multipoint dropping the connection. It also seems that Smart Control is unable to connect to the headphones when multipoint is in use.
Yesterday i noticed the stitching on the other earpad had started to open, which i find a bit disappointing. As i’ve been quite careful in handling the headphones i wonder is this issue covered by the warranty? As a long time Sennheiser user i haven’t experienced this before.
I hope Sennheiser will actively develop Smart Control and the firmware to improve the power on feature and add the high end sound tuning option, as i feel there should be a shortcut to a neutral sound profile without experimenting with the equalizer. I would also like to be able to disable the touchpad for the gym.
Get it replaced under Warranty as it will become worse very quickly

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #381 of 687
i wonder is this issue covered by the warranty? As a long time Sennheiser user i haven’t experienced this before.

I hope Sennheiser will actively develop Smart Control and the firmware to improve the power on feature and add the high end sound tuning option, as i feel there should be a shortcut to a neutral sound profile without experimenting with the equalizer.
Yes, covered under warranty @Tuomas L . Many, many more features to come, especially with regards to tuning.
Will we be able to control the centre frequency and perhaps even the Q factor or am I being too greedy :D ?
No parametric EQ. 5-band graphic is on the way. But the other tuning options will be fun to experiment with, @MayaTlab
SO NOVA which is Sennheiser
MOMENTUM 4 Wireless is a Sennheiser product. Yes the ultimate organization for consumer audio products such as M4W is Sonova, but "Sonova is Sennheiser" is an inaccurate oversimplification. A ton of great folks with Sennheiser in their resumes developed it with the autonomy to "be Sennheiser". I know you are highly critical of this product and we appreciate the feedback. It gives us an opportunity to strengthen it get a greater understanding of the issues.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #382 of 687
I find that the ANC is good on the M4W because it doesn't feel like it's adversely affecting sound quality or adding hiss. However, at times (this is true of other ANC headphones too) I'd like to be able to crank up the ANC to an extreme level, perhaps at a detriment to sound quality, to block out noise. For example listening to dialogue rather than music on a train or plane or just to block out a screaming child better. I wonder if this is possible? If so it's probably avoided because most users won't play with settings.

Of course there's always going to be leakage of sound in through the headphones or via your body into the inner ear. They can't perform magic without a full coverage helmet and vibration dampening. Some sort of isolation chamber perhaps but that's going to annoy other passengers.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #383 of 687
Yes, covered under warranty @Tuomas L . Many, many more features to come, especially with regards to tuning.

No parametric EQ. 5-band graphic is on the way. But the other tuning options will be fun to experiment with, @MayaTlab

MOMENTUM 4 Wireless is a Sennheiser product. Yes the ultimate organization for consumer audio products such as M4W is Sonova, but "Sonova is Sennheiser" is an inaccurate oversimplification. A ton of great folks with Sennheiser in their resumes developed it with the autonomy to "be Sennheiser". I know you are highly critical of this product and we appreciate the feedback. It gives us an opportunity to strengthen it get a greater understanding of the issues.
I am using it with Nvidia Shield device. On the device it shows Bluetooth transmission as AptX HD. However there is no CODEC information on the Sennheiser App with the Nvidia Shield audio transmission.

In this case what Codec is being processed?

I understand it doesn’t support AptX HD however Qualcomm state Apt X Adaptive is backwards compatible with Apt X HD.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #385 of 687
I am using it with Nvidia Shield device. On the device it shows Bluetooth transmission as AptX HD. However there is no CODEC information on the Sennheiser App with the Nvidia Shield audio transmission.

In this case what Codec is being processed?

I understand it doesn’t support AptX HD however Qualcomm state Apt X Adaptive is backwards compatible with Apt X HD.
It does support Aptx HD.

https://www.aptx.com/products/sennheiser-momentum-4

The app is just kind of crappy.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #387 of 687

SO NOVA are not available. I called 2 days in a row and the automatic message is everyone is sick.

I used to be able to speak with Sennheiser in UK, but SO NOVA are not great.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #389 of 687
Shame that there is no parametric EQ planned. Parametric is quite a bit better than a graphic eq could ever hope to be. So, does the MW4 always force some degree of sound shaping on you unless you completely defeat all of the onboard electronics? Hopefully not. DSP should always be fully controllable by the user and in my mind if I want say some ANC, that should not be coupled with an automatic DSP.

I have been using wireless headphones for years now and I never bother with the supplied apps because the companies never bother to do the leg work and develop a proper parametric eq. Frankly, I believe they don't bother because it is more difficult whereas dropping in a graphic eq is just so simple and cheap. I always use the built in parametric eq in Neutron or the FIR equalizer in Onkyo HF Player. I want to make those decisions, I don't want a company making them for me. One reason I never go Apple for anything, they like to also dumb everything down for the user which in effect means they have made many decisions for the user that could easily be left to the user. If we screw the sound up that should be our right, we bought the product so turn over the helm to us I say.

I could be wrong and the MW4 does allow full DSP to be defeated by the user and still have ANC available. I also realize that many people won't care about this so I am not saying you should care. That is a personal choice. For me I know having these decisions made for me by Sennheiser prevented me from investing in the MW3. I hope things have changed this time around as I would love to try the MW4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back