Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #361 of 690
That's the point... If you check in the app, this option is OFF. But I can definitely hear, that it's ON, despite of what app sais.
Are you sure? I said adaptive.

There's two ways of setting ANC: Using adaptive, and the cans will decide how strong is the ANC being used, or setting it by yourself to a certain level.

If you mean completely disabling ANC and the mics, the only way to do something like that is setting it right in the middle. No option to disable it otherwise.

If you mean using them passive without any digital EQ (why'd you want to do that with these cans?) only way is turning them off and using a 3.5 cable.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #362 of 690
Thank you. How is the connection reliability and what device are you using it with?
I didn't have any connection problems with standard aptx on my ASUS motherboard with external WiFI/Bluetooth antenna. But my apartment is small. So no difference here.
But the difference with sound quality (and latency of course) is huge IMHO.
I'm using my MW4 mostly with PC, so the difference beetweeen standard aptx and USB cable is noticable to me. The sound on USB is more powerfull, more open, better controlled etc. I can hear more details too. Much better sound quality via USB - that's my impression.
And I can tell, that the sound quality via BT-W4 is comparable to USB connection, if not the same.
One more thing - when I'm using standard aptx with motherboard bluetooth, I have to set volume level to about 40-45%. When using USB - 13-15%. With the BT-W4 dongle - 13-15% too.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #363 of 690

There's two ways of setting ANC: Using adaptive, and the cans will decide how strong is the ANC being used, or setting it by yourself to a certain level.

If you mean completely disabling ANC and the mics, the only way to do something like that is setting it right in the middle. No option to disable it otherwise.

If you mean using them passive without any digital EQ (why'd you want to do that with these cans?) only way is turning them off and using a 3.5 cable.
Yes. I'm sure. I'm talking about adaptive too. But, as I wrote above - it seems like the MW4 will not remember this setting. Every time when I power them on I can hear that the adaptive is ON, even if the app claims it's OFF. In other words - headphones are ignoring this setting on each power off and on.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #364 of 690
Yes. I'm sure. I'm talking about adaptive too. But, as I wrote above - it seems like the MW4 will not remember this setting. Every time when I power them on I can hear that the adaptive is ON, even if the app claims it's OFF. In other words - headphones are ignoring this setting on each power off and on.

I don't have that problem. Maybe try resetting them and resetting the app, then re-pairing?

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #365 of 690
I don't have that problem. Maybe try resetting them and resetting the app, then re-pairing?
I did try that. Still the same. Maybe you could do a quick test. In quite noisy environment put your headphones to the carry case to turn them off. Next take them out and put them on you ears. Now go to the app, enable adaptive mode. Wait 5 seconds and disable adaptive mode. Do you hear any difference in the noise cancellation?

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #367 of 690

What do you mean in the middle?
You have to scroll all the way to the left for full ANC.

Nobody will intuitively know that setting in middle is highest ANC setting. That makes no logical design sense

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #368 of 690
The manual states you can deactivate the touch pad via App, but i think this feature has not been implemented in the App.

Page 34 of Manual:
“Deactivating the touch pad function
To avoid unintentional entries via the touch pad of the headphones, e.g. when you have put the headphones on while lying down, you can deactivate the touch pad function. To do this, use the Smart Control app”

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #369 of 690
What do you mean in the middle?
You have to scroll all the way to the left for full ANC.

Nobody will intuitively know that setting in middle is highest ANC setting. That makes no logical design sense

I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe its all just a misunderstanding due to using "adaptive" as an option. I'll try to explain:

ANC -> Active Noise Cancellation.
Transparency -> Use the mics to hear the outside sound through the headphones
Adaptive -> This will adjust the ANC-Transparency level depending on the outside sound.

First two options are manually adjustable with the bar. Full left, max noise cancellation, full right no cancellation at all and all the outside sound amplified and audible through the headphones. If you set the bar to the middle (see pic) you won't have either ANC or Transparency. No noise cancellation will be used (besides the passive of having the cans over your ears) and no noise from the outside will be feed through the cans. I never said setting the bar to the middle will give you full ANC, I said it will disable ANC.

test m4.jpg

Adaptive, toggled by a checkbox, will disable the ANC / Transparency bar (at least in the latest versions of the app, good, Sennheiser) as its intender to automatically adjust depending on the environment. If you are in a quiet place you won't have a lot of ANC as it wont be needed. If you are outside, you will most likely get full ANC as there will be a lot of noise.

PS I think the adjustable bar its pretty intuitive, specially with the pic with the noise level in the background. The Adaptive option is also intuitive given it has a description, "ANC automatically adapts to the environment".

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #370 of 690
I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe its all just a misunderstanding due to using "adaptive" as an option. I'll try to explain:

Adaptive -> This will adjust the ANC-Transparency level depending on the outside sound.

First two options are manually adjustable with the bar. Full left, max noise cancellation, full right no cancellation at all and all the outside sound amplified and audible through the headphones. If you set the bar to the middle (see pic) you won't have either ANC or Transparency. No noise cancellation will be used (besides the passive of having the cans over your ears) and no noise from the outside will be feed through the cans. I never said setting the bar to the middle will give you full ANC, I said it will disable ANC.

Adaptive, toggled by a checkbox, will disable the ANC / Transparency bar (at least in the latest versions of the app, good, Sennheiser) as its intender to automatically adjust depending on the environment. If you are in a quiet place you won't have a lot of ANC as it wont be needed. If you are outside, you will most likely get full ANC as there will be a lot of noise.

PS I think the adjustable bar its pretty intuitive, specially with the pic with the noise level in the background. The Adaptive option is also intuitive given it has a description, "ANC automatically adapts to the environment".
@Soundizer A few thread pages back we discussed this option as well:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-momentum-4-wireless.964459/post-17194866

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #372 of 690

test m4.jpg

Yes I understand and probably misunderstanding on my part.

Interesting though I just called So Nova who told me that MAXIMUM ANC is only achieved with Adaptive ON.
So in NOISIEST ENVIRONMENTS Adaptive is better then Manual ANC to left.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #373 of 690
Yes I understand and probably misunderstanding on my part.

Interesting though I just called So Nova who told me that MAXIMUM ANC is only achieved with Adaptive ON.
So in NOISIEST ENVIRONMENTS Adaptive is better then Manual ANC to left.
Maximum ANC is achieved with the bar setup to the most left, OR with adaptive ON given you are in an environment with constant noise. Because otherwise the ANC level will be decreased or increased depending on the noise.

Adaptive is NOT better than manual ANC to the left if you want to achieve max active noise cancellation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back