Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Oct 19, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #346 of 690
@ericpalonen - are there any plans to implement High End Sound Tuning feature, similar to the one in M3?
In my opinion this setting makes M3 sound signature almost perfect, and I think M4 need that feature too. Sure I can play with EQ, but it's not the same as HEST IMHO.
Also genuine leather pads as a spare part would be nice. My ears are getting hot fast in M4. I don't remember that in M3, so I'm quite sure that's because of synthetic material used in M4.
We've heard the HEST request a few times here, and send these along to development as feature requests. We do have a 5-band coming soon (M4W, MTW3) and a few sound personalization enhancements for Smart Control. I don't see a change in factory M4W earpads in the future, though they have been selling like crazy so perhaps a 3rd party will find a lane to make some other options.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 21, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #349 of 690
Really interested in these but the reports of creaking are a worry and probably a show-stopper TBH. I had this on Sony XM3s and 4s and had to return them, I often use my headphones while walking so cannot have a knocking or creaking. Tried the M5s but honestly found them a little muddy so returned them.

Starting to think that my QC45s are maybe still the best option out there? Sure they do not have the absolute best sound but can now be EQ'd to sound pretty good, they are super comfortable, properly fold down and have great ANC. Still if I can bothered to purchase some silicon grease with my new headphones maybe I'll like the M4s?

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #350 of 690
Reporting in again. I haven't heard a single creak since lubricating the headphones. Very satisfied with the sound coming from these cans.

I've had a handful of software issues however, even on the latest software. When connecting the headphones to my Android phone, tracks with a lot of bass crackle a lot. The only way to fix this is to disable bluetooth on the phone and re-enable it, letting the headphones reconnect on their own. My WF1000-XM4 earbuds don't suffer from that problem at all, which leads me to believe this is a software issue.

I've had a similar problem occasionally when connecting the 2.5mm plug into the headphones when they're turned in and connected to a device. The sound coming from the headphones will be nothing but noise. Turning the headphones off and then on again fixes the problem.

Both this pair and the pair I sent back with the excessive creaking have had this issue. Is this something I should follow up on with Sennheiser @ericpalonen ?

I did toggle it on and off while trying them and they sounded awful either way.

As @ericpalonen points above though, this is really not Senheisers and the momentum 4's fault, the M4s are compliant, and the PS5 just doesn't handle things properly. I knew that the PS5 wasn't compatible with a lot of audio devices when I plugged them in. I thought there was no harm in giving it a go though.

I wouldn't use them on PS5 anyway since I use the Audeze LCD GX there and the Audeze sound quite a bit better than the momentum 4s, and the mic is a lot better as its designed for that particular purpose. I was just messing around really.
PS5 audio was very poorly thought of. I get the impression Sony wanted users to either use the 3.5mm connector on the controller which sort of sounds awful, or get a pair of wireless gaming headphones that connect to the console through a USB dongle.

3D audio doesn't even work if you connect your headphones to a system connected to the PS5 instead of the PS5 itself. I just stopped bothering with that nonsense and connect my headphones directly into my LG C1.

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #351 of 690
Reporting in again. I haven't heard a single creak since lubricating the headphones. Very satisfied with the sound coming from these cans.

I've had a handful of software issues however, even on the latest software. When connecting the headphones to my Android phone, tracks with a lot of bass crackle a lot. The only way to fix this is to disable bluetooth on the phone and re-enable it, letting the headphones reconnect on their own. My WF1000-XM4 earbuds don't suffer from that problem at all, which leads me to believe this is a software issue.

I've had a similar problem occasionally when connecting the 2.5mm plug into the headphones when they're turned in and connected to a device. The sound coming from the headphones will be nothing but noise. Turning the headphones off and then on again fixes the problem.

Both this pair and the pair I sent back with the excessive creaking have had this issue. Is this something I should follow up on with Sennheiser @ericpalonen ?

PS5 audio was very poorly thought of. I get the impression Sony wanted users to either use the 3.5mm connector on the controller which sort of sounds awful, or get a pair of wireless gaming headphones that connect to the console through a USB dongle.

3D audio doesn't even work if you connect your headphones to a system connected to the PS5 instead of the PS5 itself. I just stopped bothering with that nonsense and connect my headphones directly into my LG C1.
I've not heard of the excessive noise issue. Do you have a way to record it and DM it to me?

Which firmware (M4W) version are you on, and are you on the latest ver. of Smart Control?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 21, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #352 of 690
I've not heard of the excessive noise issue. Do you have a way to record it and DM it to me?

Which firmware (M4W) version are you on, and are you on the latest ver. of Smart Control?
I'm on Firmware version 2.9.12. I'm on the September 6th 2022 version of Smart Control, which is the latest version on the Google Play Store.

Anything with a lot of bass crackles when I turn on the M4s and they connect to my Pixel 4A that they're already synced to. Turning off the bluetooth on the phone and turning it back on completely resolves the issue. Problem is, I need to do it every time I connect the M4s. I sent you an audio file of it that I uploaded to mega, I play Reptile by Periphery off of the M4s, you don't hear the headphones reconnecting because I'm recording off a Shure SM7B.

Let me know if you got the file and if it's properly audible.

As for the other issue, it's harder to reproduce, it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes when connecting the 2.5mm connector into the headphones and the 3.5 end to an audio source, the entire audio is just garbage crackling, turning off and on the headphones fixes that problem.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #354 of 690
Food for thought...
On a properly implemented AAC, apx HD or LDAC in hardware/software, you're not going to hear a big SQ difference. There will be some, but I have Bluetooth headphones of all three types, and there's nothing to get worked up about there.
None bury, destroy, smash, obliterate, blow away or kill the others.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #355 of 690
After a week of using my MW4 I did notice a problem with ANC. I prefer not using "Adaptive", because in my opinion much more noise is cuted out, when this option is off and the slider is on the far left side. But is seems that every time when I power my headphones on, they are coming back to "Adaptive=ON", despite the fact, that in the app this option is still turned off. But more outside noise is coming thru until I go to the app and turn "Adaptive" ON, and OFF again.
It seems like this setting is not stored properly in the headphones.
Anyone noticed that too?
I'm on the latest firmware: 2.9.12, and latest version of the Android app: 4.1.4

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #358 of 690
After a week of using my MW4 I did notice a problem with ANC. I prefer not using "Adaptive", because in my opinion much more noise is cuted out, when this option is off and the slider is on the far left side. But is seems that every time when I power my headphones on, they are coming back to "Adaptive=ON", despite the fact, that in the app this option is still turned off. But more outside noise is coming thru until I go to the app and turn "Adaptive" ON, and OFF again.
It seems like this setting is not stored properly in the headphones.
Anyone noticed that too?
I'm on the latest firmware: 2.9.12, and latest version of the Android app: 4.1.4
That’s terrible implementation from Sennheiser.

So people will think ANC is rubbish on MM4 without realising that ADAPTIVE is ON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back