Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Mar 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #376 of 4,765
I bought my through Amazon, It shipped from Korea and Extreme Audio USA is where it will go for repairs if needed. Took 3 days to ship to New York.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #377 of 4,765
Is that a snake type cover for Lotoo?
Where did you get it?
Looks nice.

I got my case from aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A6-EASECASE-Custom-Made-Genuine-Leather-case-for-LOTOO-Paw-Gold/2022184685.html
Although not exactly snake skin, they have many versions and the product is of a very good quality.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #378 of 4,765
The leather case might overheat the unit. It looks good and feels good in hand but just be mindful of it.

Not sure what is the operation temperature ot lotoo is.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #379 of 4,765
I doubt it. The heat is likely coming from the LME49600 running with some higher than common DAP voltages and perhaps from the process of regulating those voltages but the case is doing it's job. It's effectively a large sink. It should be able to get more than uncomfortably hot before there's any concern about the unit.

I think the Dignis case looks quite nice.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #380 of 4,765
Yes, it's a handsome case. But thanks for calling it out Audionewbi.

Today was a bit hectic but I still managed to get some listening done with the AKR02. Very nice indeed. The sig is different from the FIBASS in that it's tuned fuller. :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #381 of 4,765
Took the PAW out on a trip. 4 hour flight plus time waiting and listening while the plane is still boarding. 4 hours plus back. Here are photos of the battery meter at the end of each leg.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #382 of 4,765

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #384 of 4,765
Does this device play all supported formats gaplessly? The battery is non-replaceable according to the company and has a lifespan of "at least 5 years". Is this normal for similar highend devices like Astell & Kern etc? I am interested in this or similar products as a viable alternative to a stationary set-up, but 5 years seems rather a short life for such an expensive product, however fantastically it performs. The company did say "at least 5 years", and my 5th generation iPod is still working. However, longevity of this and similar products is definitely an issue for me.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #385 of 4,765
Lotoo has a a great battery life,shorter then Tera player but still impressive for a Native DSD player :)

I have to agree with that. I am impressed! :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #386 of 4,765
Does this device play all supported formats gaplessly? The battery is non-replaceable according to the company and has a lifespan of "at least 5 years". Is this normal for similar highend devices like Astell & Kern etc? I am interested in this or similar products as a viable alternative to a stationary set-up, but 5 years seems rather a short life for such an expensive product, however fantastically it performs. The company did say "at least 5 years", and my 5th generation iPod is still working. However, longevity of this and similar products is definitely an issue for me.

The batteries are replaceable, they can simply be unplugged and new one plugged back in. However it is something perhaps they want to do rather than the user Since the battery need to be secured to the back plate.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #388 of 4,765
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #389 of 4,765
I've got a sample here. Had it now for almost 2 days. It's getting rather impressive. The sound has moved a lot from new so be sure to read this entire description as I'm sure it will still improve. I'll ad more sonic impressions when I feel the unit has settled in terms of quality and sig.

It's sounding really good after somewhat less than 2 days and a couple run cycles. 1st listen out of the box, it started a bit lean. Just tonally and not bright/ringy but tape hiss was emphasized and sounded tilted up. That completely disappeared in 24 hours and it sounded properly balanced or even warm but lost some openness. Another 24 hours later and it sounds more extended, insightful and open, with the bass again well defined. It's now competitive with anything I've heard and still getting better 
smile.gif
. I have heard almost all of the top screened players. My comments aren't about me getting used to it's sound (brain burn in) as I only listen to parts of a couple tunes at a time and at about 1/2 day intervals, with plenty of other listening between. I've been using low gain which has enough output to drive anything up to Grado full size phones to dangerous levels. High gain should drive about anything. Welcome the 12v supply and likely higher rail voltages along with the LME49600. 

I would suggest to anyone that comments on the sound of these, wait a few days to allow new units to settle in. I feel my comments are already premature but I thought I'd give them with proper context. I can see why some new owners start unsure and then become lovers of the device. Any comments on leanness would be in regards to a new unit's initial impressions and not representative of it's true nature once run in.

I often find that good things are informative enough to hear these sorts of changes and generally take some days to normalize with improvements becoming increasingly subtle for some time. 

The size is quite pocketable and it falls easily in hand to control. It's a bit weighty but something about it's dimensions and beveled edges makes it less of an issue than expected. It's not uncomfortable nor feels like it will stress a pocket. It's a bit of a compromise but I'm sure it's weight is needed to do as it does. I'll see how much once it's fully run in and observe which DAP I reach for when I walk the dog. I'm becoming increasingly aware that it's likely to become the Lotoo, and if you know me, I like smaller DAPs. Of course performance trumps all...as long as it's manageable and for me, it seems so.
smile.gif

In terms of features....I personally don't care 
tongue_smile.gif
 as long as I can find my music and it has enough storage. I'm a folder play guy that never uses EQ etc. That said, easy navigation, logical controls and a few second startup time is extremely welcomed. I've navigated around and it's easy to do what one wants to, with the functions working well as intended but I won't use them. For others it will help when bad files need help, you want to tailor to a phone or need to compensate for outside noise. It has some unique setup capabilities with a memory for multiple user defined settings. If you're a pro, do lots of plane travel/live sound work, mastering that needs a certain sig or use multiple phones that you may want to EQ a bit, this is a fabulous feature to accommodate multiple custom eq profiles. It also has easy to access controls for the normal DAP features and then some. If you like EQ, the quick access and capability to adjust the response is, by far, the most comprehensive and versatile I've encountered in a DAP. 

I'm accustomed to some pro kit and what comes to mind is that this is like the Nagra of DAPs. I couldn't think of a stronger compliment.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back