Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Apr 13, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #2,072 of 4,765
Is anyone using the pelican case 1015 for transport? I'm thinking it might be a good fit... internal dimension of the mentioned case is 6mm which is the same width for the LPG... I wonder if it will fit?

If its good for transport then I might not require the Dignis case as this is meant to be my office companion. Just exploring options before my LPG arrives....

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,075 of 4,765
  Is anyone using the pelican case 1015 for transport? I'm thinking it might be a good fit... internal dimension of the mentioned case is 6mm which is the same width for the LPG... I wonder if it will fit?

If its good for transport then I might not require the Dignis case as this is meant to be my office companion. Just exploring options before my LPG arrives....

I don't have a 1015,but the 1010 fits perfectly!

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,076 of 4,765
i m using my noble k10u hard case for transport for my lpg and it fits exactly i am sure noble made it for the gold. fantastic peice of mind that this amazing tomb is protecting my little treasure. i think it looks so cool and no one knows whats inside it. go for it alvinmate

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,077 of 4,765
i m using my noble k10u hard case for transport for my lpg and it fits exactly i am sure noble made it for the gold. fantastic peice of mind that this amazing tomb is protecting my little treasure. i think it looks so cool and no one knows whats inside it. go for it alvinmate

Those hard cases are OtterBox 1000 weather cases.  Actually, there is a company named S3 that sells their version of those cases for under $10, since I'm not sure if Otter discontinued the original one.  But for sure, they fit LPG like a glove, almost like that hard case was designed specifically for LPG.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,080 of 4,765

I am seriously considering the Paw Gold.  Has a comparison been done against the QP1R?  I love the look of the Paw Gold.  Is the amp as good as the QP1R.  THANKS

From http://www.head-fi.org/t/714374/dap-off-astell-kern-ak240-hifiman-hm-901-sony-zx-1-fiio-x5-x5ii-chord-hugo-mojo-calyx-m-aurender-flow-lotoo-paw-gold-paw-5000-soundaware-m1/1605

Quote:
  I've A/B'ed the QP1R, AK380AMP and Lotoo Paw Gold recently and here's what I've found:

Bass: Lotoo Paw Gold > AK380AMP > QP1R;
Mids: AK380AMP > Lotoo Paw Gold = QP1R;
Highs: Lotoo Paw Gold > QP1R > AK380AMP;
Soundstage: Lotoo Paw Gold = AK380AMP > QP1R.

FYI headphones used were UM Mentor and AKT1P

I also had the chance to compare HM901 minibox and Calyx M side-by-side with LPG. 
Long story short: the two have zero advantage over the Lotoo, while the Lotoo has better bass than Calyx M and better highs than the HM901.

Still haven't had the chance to audition HM901S and the Tera. Will report back when I do. 

Bottom line: both QP1R and LPG got that "desktop" sound, while LPG has noticeably better bass texture and extension.

AK380AMP sounds too "soft" to be "desktop". I would say the overall sound sig is mid-centric and modern-music-friendly. Not enough bass impact and highs sparkle. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,081 of 4,765
Hearing all these positive comments about LPG against some good DAPs makes me feel special in some ways.....lol..... but yeah good to know its a very special device that produces music that is magical!

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2,082 of 4,765
Thanks for the comments on sound quality - QP1R vs LPG. Now how about value for money - QP1R vs LPG? Is the LPG really worth more than twice as much as the QP1R? (In the UK the QP1R costs £700 and the LPG costs £1500.) If so why? The more detail the better!

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,083 of 4,765
Thanks for the comments on sound quality - QP1R vs LPG. Now how about value for money - QP1R vs LPG? Is the LPG really worth more than twice as much as the QP1R? (In the UK the QP1R costs £700 and the LPG costs £1500.) If so why? The more detail the better!

One thing you will learn in this hobby is that value for money is an elastic concept and is very much dependent on an individual's perception of value. My advice is to just go and listen for yourself and see whether you think the differential in price is worth it. No substitute for that.

I have extensively auditioned the QP1R. And I own the LPG and quite a few other DAPs and quasi-portables like the Aurender Flow and the Chord Hugo. For me, while the QP1R is undoubtedly one of the better DAPs around SQ wise, it is rendered unusable by the scroll wheel that should have been fixed at prototype stage.

Because of that, unless it SQ is top of the class, which it is not by quite a bit, I would not touch the QP1R with a barge pole when it is practically unusable by virtue of its scroll wheel. We should get joy when we pay good money, not frustration.

Just my point of view. But bottom line: help yourself and go have a try. Then all will be revealed. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2,085 of 4,765
Hahah! Stop calling me old, Michael! :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back