Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Apr 7, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #2,042 of 4,765
Sorry i meant 49 but have to adjust accordingly as discussed eg certain tracks. Are mastered tracks always louder?

All tracks are mastered. The thing is, pop tracks are mastered very poorly, with high loudness and very compressed dynamics, so tend to sound horrible compared to properly mastered tracks. Google loudness war for some info on this.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,044 of 4,765
WAV is actually the regular CD format, FLAC is a compressed format, so you could convert a WAV file to FLAC without loosing quality and saving space. Some say FLAC sounds worse than WAV, I don't hear a difference in my own conversions.
The quality part is dependant on bit depth and bit rate, e.g. 16bit 44.1khz for CD audio. Encoding a CD quality file in a higher bit depth/rate will not give you higher quality. Once a file is converted to a lesser format (a 24/192 file to 16/44.1 or a 16/44.1 file into MP3) the data is lost forever and cannot be regained. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #2,045 of 4,765
Thanks idulty, Can i just ask a question. There is a french company called qobuz and i have used them quite a bit i have downloaded hi res albums like bob dylan etc. Some i downloaded in 24bit and 16bit and could not really tell the difference they all sounded nice with great clarity. When i transfer my own cds to this format with j river am i just doing what qobuz does, my transfered tracks sound great also. What i am asking is qobuz doing what most can do at home and are we being conned as their albums are very expensive and i am recycling mine to a better format. Where then is the best place to get good mastered tracks as i want the best for my paw gold. Thanks

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,046 of 4,765
Sorry i meant 49 but have to adjust accordingly as discussed eg certain tracks. Are mastered tracks always louder?

Beside personal listening preference and also the mastering level of the song (a lot of the latest EDM and Pop productions are over compressed to reduce dynamics/peeks so you can raise the overall volume higher), the other main reasons for volume setting will be impedance, sensitivity level, type of drivers, etc, relative to your pair of headphones.  The only way to have a true comparison of listening volume level is if you use exactly the same pair of headphones and play exactly the same track.  Otherwise, 40 or 49 is just a number
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,048 of 4,765
Thanks idulty, Can i just ask a question. There is a french company called qobuz and i have used them quite a bit i have downloaded hi res albums like bob dylan etc. Some i downloaded in 24bit and 16bit and could not really tell the difference they all sounded nice with great clarity. When i transfer my own cds to this format with j river am i just doing what qobuz does, my transfered tracks sound great also. What i am asking is qobuz doing what most can do at home and are we being conned as their albums are very expensive and i am recycling mine to a better format. Where then is the best place to get good mastered tracks as i want the best for my paw gold. Thanks

A good high res file should be encoded from the original master, some of the newer ones like blue coast recordings actually being recorded and mastered in DSD format. This would be the highest possible quality and actually 'lossless'. 
After high quality and trustworthy download sources (Naim, 2L, Bluecoast etc.) I would think the most trustworthy source is your own conversions. Do keep in mind some albums will sound like crap no matter where you get them, Adele was given as an example, my favourite band of 2015 is London Grammar and their album actually has distortion artifacts!! That is the unfortunate world we live in today. 

The bottom line is, if it sounds good to you, then it is good enough. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #2,051 of 4,765
Hi Guys,

I'm joining the LPG bandwagon as well and I'm really excited about it.

Old question where can I get the leather case.... The dignis one looked awesome but seems like its out of stock everywhere or its not manufactured anymore.....???

Any similar ones or when we can expect the new stock for these cases?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #2,052 of 4,765
  Hi Guys,

Old question where can I get the leather case.... The dignis one looked awesome but seems like its out of stock everywhere or its not manufactured anymore.....???

Thanks

Congratulations on your new LPG. Seems there are no more new Dignis cases for the LPG to be found.  There was one in the Sale or Trade forum recently, so maybe you'll find some luck there.  Other than that, I've seen some with the Brand name Easecase on Ebay.  You might want to check that out, too.

Hope your LPG arrives soon.

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,053 of 4,765

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Congratulations on your new LPG. Seems there are no more new Dignis cases for the LPG to be found.  There was one in the Sale or Trade forum recently, so maybe you'll find some luck there.  Other than that, I've seen some with the Brand name Easecase on Ebay.  You might want to check that out, too.

Hope your LPG arrives soon.

thanks for the info... I will have a look....

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,055 of 4,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back