Introducing Lawton Audio-- Denon Mods, Re-Cables, Woodies & More.
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #121 of 279
Quote:

A shame that fantastic Mahogany is reserved for LA7000, I would have loved it for the LA2000 you will be building for me

Jan, you did indeed get the last pair of these made for D2000, here they are on the left:

dscn7480hg6.jpg

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #122 of 279
Quote:

Well.. except that page covers the D5000 but I got the Sheaok cups for my D2000 .. and the D2000 cup isn't just a simple matter of unscrewing those 'little round screws'. Because I did that but the cups and the driver assembly seem fused together

They come off the exact same way. Did you remove the screws in the holes or the ones on the surface? The screws that release the cups are underneath the surface of the driver face.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #123 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jan, you did indeed get the last pair of these made for D2000, here they are on the left:

dscn7480hg6.jpg

That's fantastic. Thanks a lot

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #125 of 279
I just want to state here how utterly beautiful these cups are.. though the sibilance and harshness is still present and still painfull, when you find a song that doesn't exhibit these problems, the sound is phenomenal.. still, need to tame that harshness but just wanted to say.. great work on the cups !

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #126 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to state here how utterly beautiful these cups are.. though the sibilance and harshness is still present and still painfull, when you find a song that doesn't exhibit these problems, the sound is phenomenal.. still, need to tame that harshness but just wanted to say.. great work on the cups !

Possibly, the harshness is from your source, DAC, or amp. What are you using to feed these?

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #127 of 279
The essence STX sound card with the build in HP amp. The sibilance was present on the Corda 3MOVE DAC+AMP but its less here on the STX.

It does seem like I have a mismatch that these phones don't react nice to
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #128 of 279
Quote:

The essence STX sound card with the build in HP amp. The sibilance was present on the Corda 3MOVE DAC+AMP but its less here on the STX.

It does seem like I have a mismatch that these phones don't react nice to
frown.gif

My woodied APS V2 cabled D2000 have no sibilance with the 3MOVE DAC/amp. Wierd. My hearing works from 16Hz - 16Khz (46 years).

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #129 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My woodied APS V2 cabled D2000 have no sibilance with the 3MOVE DAC/amp. Wierd. My hearing works from 16Hz - 16Khz (46 years).

That could be the effect of the APS cable. I had some sibilance on the stock ESW9 (and other issues) that completely went away after the APS recable.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #130 of 279
Well I know some people also returned their D2000's simply because of sibilance.. some people are just too sensitive to it and it seems, I may be one too .. shame
frown.gif

HPAddict, yours are balanced though. But I'm 27 also so maybe thats why?

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #131 of 279
Quote:

Well I know some people also returned their D2000's simply because of sibilance.. some people are just too sensitive to it and it seems, I may be one too .. shame
frown.gif

HPAddict, yours are balanced though. But I'm 27 also so maybe thats why?

I have a 4-pin XLR plug but also have a single ended adapter to listen to it, and I use it all time time with my portable DAC amps on the Macbook and with the Woo WA6.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #132 of 279
Quote:

frown.gif

I don't recall hearing sibilance with my D2000s, although they're now recabled and have Lawton's African Sepele Mahogany cups. Maybe the stock cable is a factor. Also, I burned in my D2000s for more than 200 hours before I did any seriously listening on them.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #133 of 279
Without discussing any one particular cable (as I don't believe I am allowed to), IME there is a reason silver cables have a stereotype as being thin, grainy, etched and yes, sibilant. Silver cables are not my first choice for most applications, but most especially not for the Denons. Read the average rave review of a silver cable and it almost always starts with the reviewer swearing that *this* silver cable does not sound like a silver cable. Well, if the best silver cable is the one that doesn't sound like silver.... Copper is not as bling-bling as silver, but perhaps conductivity or sound of a metal is unrelated to its scarcity on planet earth.

If you like the sound of silver, more power to you, it's all about you and what works for your ears. Enjoy! Cheers.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #135 of 279
OK, some more pics for some customers.

Here is the latest pair of the Tasmanian Blackwood V4 cups for the D2000. This pair is sold, but we can and will be making more. The magical thing about the blackwood is the way this stuff just lights up and takes on a golden glow when angled a certain way. To show how dramatic the color shifts are, check out these two photos of the same pair:

tasblackwoodv4.jpg

tasblacwoodshine.jpg

Here we have the latest LA2000 to ship with V4 Jarrah cups. This pair of D2000s has been fitted with a D7000 cable that has been shortened and a quality Neutrik jack put on for termination. I think these are the prettiest Jarrahs so far:

jarrahv4la2000.jpg

jarrahla2000cable.jpg

Finally, let's take a look at the latest shipment of D2000 Sheoak cups. First my Quality Control expert sniffs out any anomalies before giving two paws up. With his approval, we then take a closer look inside the box.

dscn7539s.jpg

sheoakbox.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back