Introducing Lawton Audio-- Denon Mods, Re-Cables, Woodies & More.
Dec 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #271 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take the word of one reviewer so literally, or so precisely, or (more importantly) as one that will necessarily match your own preferences. Reviews are one person's opinion, from one person's perspective/reference, & coloured by their own personal preferences. No one's opinion, no matter how respected or prolific, matters more than your own experience.

I've heard the very headphones used in that review, as the current owner is a well-known member of the NY Head-Fi contingency. I, personally, would never use the word "bright" to describe them, either in the absolute sense, nor even relative to other warmer headphones. To me, these modded cans fall into the warm & lush side of the sonic spectrum compared to my neutral reference (Etymotic ER4). They sound very nice out of a properly matched amp, which (again, imo) is a fast, neutral solid-state amp. This only underscores what I stated above, as the previous reviewer typically prefers tube amps.

If you are so interested, do yourself a favor and find a pair of modded pair before passing judgement. Love 'em, or hate 'em. Lust for them, or can't justify the price - no problemo. But nothing is as worthless around here as a vehemently stated opinion that has absolutely no experience to back it up.

Well, that definitely helped reassure me on this.

Sadly, I won't be able to get a hold of an already modded pair to test out (looked around locally), so I'm going to have to go off of opinions, but I'm thinking that I'll side with what seems to be the majority opinion on this one.

The vast majority opinion seems to be that it improves the sound quite drastically, and I've never seen anybody say it sounds worse, at least not on Head-Fi, only that it's better or "better with some songs, worse with some".

Looks like it's time to start putting money away.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #272 of 279
[size=medium]Tasmanian Blackwood LA2000 "Lite"[/size]
Just some pics to give the Tas Blackwood cups a little love, and to focus on our popular LA2000 "Lite" headphones. The Tas Black has a very versatile sound, they are about in the middle of the spectrum of cups we offer. The "Lite" version of the LA2000 is a D2000-based, high-value alternative that comes with a high-performance stock cable from a D7000 replacing the rather poor quality cable that comes standard on the D2000. We can shorten the stock D7000 cable down to any size you like, and we add a high-quality Neutrik jack of any flavor you need: 1/8", 1/4", balanced XLR or 4-pin.

The LA2000 Lite gives you a lot of headphone for a high-value price. You get a D2000 with the full markl Mod, pad enhancement, our superior custom cups with enhanced soundstaging, plus an improved cable with a quality jack.

tasblackhang2cut.jpg

tasblackcarpet3000.jpg

tasblackclose3000.jpg

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #273 of 279
Resurrecting this thread. Online Audio magazine ToneAudio has issued a favourable review of the LA7000 in issue 27.
To quote the closing comment:
"If you want the sound of electrostatics without the bother, these are the phones for you. Highly recommended"

Congratulations on this very positive review though comparison with 'stats comes as a surprise as noone has ever mentioned this before.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #274 of 279
Excited to get my LA7000 Lites, I'll post back here when they arrive with pictures and after a few weeks hopefully some impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

The cups for them should hopefully be arriving this week, so hopefully I'll have them soon.

May 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #277 of 279
So after 4 weeks of waiting for my cups to arrive in the next shipment, my LA7000s were finally shipped out last week on the 13th. They should be here some time next week hopefully, I will post here with pictures after they arrive :)

May 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #278 of 279
They finally arrived today, and initial impressions are... just wow... These are amazing cans from what I hear so far, I'll get more in depth after extensive listening. From first impressions though, they seem to sound just as Mark described they would.

Hopefully should get pictures up soon.

May 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #279 of 279
Congrats, welcome to the la7000 club. I still love mine and havent found a can that is balanced and still as fun as these. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back