Introducing Lawton Audio-- Denon Mods, Re-Cables, Woodies & More.
Jan 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #76 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wham City /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, it sounds like the 7000 might have some minor differences, since both the D7000 and D5000 have similar wood and people say they can detect subtle differences between the two that seem to be more than the placebo effect.

The Cup volumes are different also. If you look at the headroom graphs, there is a difference in the two. The best Deal seems to be D2000, then Woods Cups, Mods and Cable. If you can DIY, it gets the price way down.

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #77 of 279
The pics above of the LA2000 w/Jarrah wood are mine. Got them yesterday and am burning them in. I've also got the D5000s (stock) in house, here are some pics showing them side by side:

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #80 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a slightly better comparison would be LA2000 vs MD5000 if you plan on doing that to the D5000
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not 100% on the Mod yet. Maybe some of it, none of it, all of it. My phones don't seem boomy at all. A little better Mid range definition wouldn't hurt though.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #82 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not 100% on the Mod yet. Maybe some of it, none of it, all of it. My phones don't seem boomy at all. A little better Mid range definition wouldn't hurt though.

That's what I did, partial LA2000 with APS cable and no dynamat on the frame, but the wood cups and stuffed earpads help the mids A LOT.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #83 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I did, partial LA2000 with APS cable and no dynamat on the frame, but the wood cups and stuffed earpads help the mids A LOT.

You know the other thing is, I have to do something with the cable. It is tangled right out of the box, very strange! I either have to desolder and resolder, or desolder and change. I have a bunch of Jena 22ga for it, but after receiving the canz thought, this is not a bad cable. But I just can't live with the twists. Anybody else had this problem?

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #85 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by godbreath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, what is the difference between the d2000, d5000, d7000 stock cable?

Thanks

I could be wrong, but that should have been discussed somewhere in the following thread, but not the first page: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #86 of 279
The LA2000 and D5000 can't be compared, they sound like completely different headphones. The D5000 is bass heavy and euphonic/beautiful. The LA2000 is more spacious, with tighter (and lighter) bass, more detailed mids, and overall a bit brighter (based on my non-broken-in pair). I'll report back in another 2 weeks after I've gotten the LA2000's broken in.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #87 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LA2000 and D5000 can't be compared, they sound like completely different headphones. The D5000 is bass heavy and euphonic/beautiful. The LA2000 is more spacious, with tighter (and lighter) bass, more detailed mids, and overall a bit brighter (based on my non-broken-in pair). I'll report back in another 2 weeks after I've gotten the LA2000's broken in.

You'd have to account for the specific wood material choice on the LA2000's as well, as this reportedly affects the sound in different ways.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #88 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by godbreath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, what is the difference between the d2000, d5000, d7000 stock cable?

Thanks

Compared to the D2000, D5000 cable is less prone to tangling (although still pretty stiff) and has a better internal consruction (probably better sound quality as well). The D7000 has the same construction as the D5000 but with a better sleeving (more flexible) and it is terminated with a 1/4 jack instead of a 1/8 + 1/4 adapter.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #89 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd have to account for the specific wood material choice on the LA2000's as well, as this reportedly affects the sound in different ways.

Yes, for instance my mahogany cups with Dynamat inside the cup is supposed to be more spacious sounding. Per Mark Lawton in a private email last November when I ordered mine:

Quote:

The stock D5000 cups are also mahogany and of low density. I personally use our mahogany cups on my own phone; it's the sound I like FWIW. Our mahogany cups are thicker than stock cups so there's a bit of extra damping there just from the extra amount of mahogany we use.

The medium-density bubinga we have are sold, I need to update the site. The other choice right now is jarra which are quite heavy and dense. They will be a very different sound than what you are used to from the stock cups of the MD5000 DE. Frequency extremes are a trifle rolled, bass is more controlled, sound is drier and a bit more warm. It's a mellower sound overall. Easier to relax with, good for people who listen to mellower music at moderate volumes.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #90 of 279
Quote:

The D2000 cable is quite poor, sadly, typical tinsel-wire stock headphone cable. The D5000 cable is a big improvement and quite nice for a stock cable. The D7000 cable's wire is identical to that of the D5000, but the D7000 cable uses a slightly different outer sheath/mesh fabric so is slightly softer and more supple, and comes terminated in a pretty decent 1/4" jack in stead of the 1/8" jack of D2000/D5000.

We are totally sold out of stock D5000 and D7000 cables right now and have a waiting list started. It's going to be another month before we are likely to have more, it all depends on how many re-cable orders we get for D5000s and D7000s.

Quote:

Yup, wood choice matters. We recommend choosing wood based on their sound rather than their looks. The chief factor affecting sound is the overall density of the wood. This is another plus as we can further tailor the sound of the phone to your tastes and listening preferences. We'll work with you to determine which wood will work best for you.

That said, differences in wood are significant but don't create a totally different headphone. If you are even moderately sensitive to things like cable swaps, you will absolutely hear the differences in wood types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back