Introducing HIFIMAN Ananda Nano
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #496 of 729
@TheR0v3r ,

Just saw a user on a different website quoting this about the LCD-X;

Though companies that offer to create a custom compensation curve for your model or particular pair of headphones certainly have their place in the market, with all due respect, we find minimal correlation between their test results and our own. More importantly, we've found that some of their "compensations" can actually diminish what's special about our headphones, and that reduces their value as a tool. Our tests and measurements have proven that our own target curve translates best to speakers in the real world, and that's why so many professionals have come to rely on the LCD series, particularly the LCD-X. Professionals tell us they choose the LCD-X not just for the accurate response, but also for how well it translates to speakers. Changing the response with a third party app will likely defeat our headphones’ ability to translate so well."

Might be something to take in consideration and think about when a brand dissociates themselves from industry standards.

So you might want to take a very close listen to phase issues and filtering going on in the tuning of those cans whenever you have a chance to listen to the LCD-X.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #497 of 729
@TheR0v3r ,

Just saw a user on a different website quoting this about the LCD-X;

Though companies that offer to create a custom compensation curve for your model or particular pair of headphones certainly have their place in the market, with all due respect, we find minimal correlation between their test results and our own. More importantly, we've found that some of their "compensations" can actually diminish what's special about our headphones, and that reduces their value as a tool. Our tests and measurements have proven that our own target curve translates best to speakers in the real world, and that's why so many professionals have come to rely on the LCD series, particularly the LCD-X. Professionals tell us they choose the LCD-X not just for the accurate response, but also for how well it translates to speakers. Changing the response with a third party app will likely defeat our headphones’ ability to translate so well."

Might be something to take in consideration and think about when a brand dissociates themselves from industry standards.

So you might want to take a very close listen to phase issues and filtering going on in the tuning of those cans whenever you have a chance to listen to the LCD-X.
Thanks for the heads-up! I’ll be sure to take a close listen when it’s time.

Right now I’m actually very, very content with the Ananda Nano. The areas for improvement lie elsewhere. After the discussions about EQ I consider my hearing, or more correctly, my ability to understand what I hear as the biggest bottleneck in my system. :scream:

It doesn’t make sense to buy more stuff if I can’t dfferentiate different vs better. Before I buy another headphone I need to educate myself. And frankly I’m becoming more and more unsure if ”better” headphones equal more enjoyment… Let’s see where things stand come March :wink:

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #498 of 729

Right now I’m actually very, very content with the Ananda Nano. The areas for improvement lie elsewhere. After the discussions about EQ I consider my hearing, or more correctly, my ability to understand what I hear as the biggest bottleneck in my system. :scream:

It doesn’t make sense to buy more stuff if I can’t dfferentiate different vs better. Before I buy another headphone I need to educate myself. And frankly I’m becoming more and more unsure if ”better” headphones equal more enjoyment… Let’s see where things stand come March :wink:
Could you upload a screenshot or type out the 'finalized' audio EQ from you and martel? I downloaded the files he uploaded and then tried to scavenger around for something that could open those ffp files. Was not successful. So, no real way to open the files and see the configs.

Sounds like you and martel had quite an EQ journey!

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #499 of 729
The problem here is that I used many bands and quite a few very sharp ones but in Pro Q3 , it’s a none issue there’s an option to force linear phase (I’ve set it to maximum which introduce latency). In a IIR EQ setup like Equalizer APO and such basic systemwide EQ application, that will inevitably introduce phase shift which in return render the use of fine EQing obsolete . To be able to use the EQ setting we made, you would need to find an EQ that can do linear-phase as a systemwide application. I know there’s some application that will let you “host” professional audio plugin (which some of them have linear-phase options implemented) and act as a “plugin loader” under your OS but I don’t know of any systemwide EQ that has that option by itself other then Sonarwork (very limited user customization) or DIRAC .

The issue is that by using non linear phase EQ, the phase shift happening to neighbouring EQ’s frequency point will inevitably render some frequency cancelations which negate the use of fine EQing as you wouldn’t want to lose frequencies.

I would advise only doing 4 to 5 broad EQ point and use them as is so you don’t introduce phase cancelation while attempting to get a “flatter “ frequency response.

Also, linear phase EQ introduce a lot of latency.

For example, I believe the one we created in Pro Q 3 introduce about 750ms of latency. Not a big deal in a strictly listening application but it can be a serious issue in live monitoring situations. Example, recording audio while listening.

Here’s an article that goes in depth about phase cancellation in EQ.

https://www.sageaudio.com/articles/how-eq-changes-phase-1-free-mastering-secret-you-need-to-know

IIR vs FIR ;

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/fir-vs-iir-filtering

Hope that help.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #500 of 729

The most important thing with headphones i find is they shouldn't be complicated just enjoyed. Your ears will know what's good price or brand shouldn't matter.
Over analysing something that should be simple takes the enjoyment out of it & creates headaches.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #502 of 729
The problem here is that I used many bands and quite a few very sharp ones but in Pro Q3 , it’s a none issue there’s an option to force linear phase (I’ve set it to maximum which introduce latency). In a IIR EQ setup like Equalizer APO and such basic systemwide EQ application, that will inevitably introduce phase shift which in return render the use of fine EQing obsolete . To be able to use the EQ setting we made, you would need to find an EQ that can do linear-phase as a systemwide application. I know there’s some application that will let you “host” professional audio plugin (which some of them have linear-phase options implemented) and act as a “plugin loader” under your OS but I don’t know of any systemwide EQ that has that option by itself other then Sonarwork (very limited user customization) or DIRAC .

The issue is that by using non linear phase EQ, the phase shift happening to neighbouring EQ’s frequency point will inevitably render some frequency cancelations which negate the use of fine EQing as you wouldn’t want to lose frequencies.

I would advise only doing 4 to 5 broad EQ point and use them as is so you don’t introduce phase cancelation while attempting to get a “flatter “ frequency response.

Also, linear phase EQ introduce a lot of latency.

For example, I believe the one we created in Pro Q 3 introduce about 750ms of latency. Not a big deal in a strictly listening application but it can be a serious issue in live monitoring situations. Example, recording audio while listening.

Here’s an article that goes in depth about phase cancellation in EQ.

https://www.sageaudio.com/articles/how-eq-changes-phase-1-free-mastering-secret-you-need-to-know

IIR vs FIR ;

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/fir-vs-iir-filtering

Hope that help.
From what I read, Pro Q3 is an audio plugin? What does it plug in to? I read that @TheR0v3r said he was using Pro Q3, but there was no base software listed to load it into. Are both of you using sonarworks?

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #503 of 729
A cordial greeting to everyone ...

I also use Fabfilter Pro Q3 .... I started using it from version number 1 quite a long time ago .... I have tried many equalizers and I always return to Pro Q3, for sound, usability and features.

So I join to friend, and I would like to know the equalization data of those who were successful in equalizing the Nano to apply it to mine and test , if it were possible of course.

One file preset of Pro Q3 would be great.

Thank you and I wish you a happy new year !!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #504 of 729
FirewFrom what I read, Pro Q3 is an audio plugin? What does it plug in to? I read that @TheR0v3r said he was using Pro Q3, but there was no base software listed to load it into. Are both of you using sonarworks?
Using Audirvana Studio w/ FabFilter Pro-Q 3, Goodhertz CanOpener and Mid-Side.

Happy New Year!:fireworks:

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #505 of 729
From what I read, Pro Q3 is an audio plugin? What does it plug in to? I read that @TheR0v3r said he was using Pro Q3, but there was no base software listed to load it into. Are both of you using sonarworks?
Fabfilter Pro Q3 is an audio plugin. Audio plugins can be used most notoriously in D.A.W. (Digital audio workstation). To put it in simple words, Pro Q3 is a small software that integrate in a bigger software (DAW) and that is used mostly by audio engineers to apply corrective EQ.

The good news is that there is an alternative for systemwide integration for VST plugins (ie Fabfilter Pro Q3) without the use of a DAW.

One that work easily is made by a company called DDMF.
https://ddmf.eu/virtual-audio-stream/

There’s another one called pedalboard 2.

I’m sure there’s a few others.

The bad news is that Fabfilter Pro Q3 is not cheap. (169$ USD)

https://www.fabfilter.com/shop/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

Hope that help.

Edit: audirvana is one that come up quite often. Thanks to Rover for that.

https://audirvana.com/price/

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #506 of 729
A cordial greeting to everyone ...

I also use Fabfilter Pro Q3 .... I started using it from version number 1 quite a long time ago .... I have tried many equalizers and I always return to Pro Q3, for sound, usability and features.

So I join to friend, and I would like to know the equalization data of those who were successful in equalizing the Nano to apply it to mine and test , if it were possible of course.

One file preset of Pro Q3 would be great.

Thank you and I wish you a happy new year !!
You can find the zip file containing the last revision we Made in some of the earlier post.

Happy new year 🥳

Edit; here it is in this post here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-hifiman-ananda-nano.968220/post-17878230

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #510 of 729
Ugh, this is terribly annoying. I feel like Equalizer/Peace APO is so popular because it's effective, free, easy to use and widespread . No way I'm spending money on software that a free option replicates exactly what I would use it for.

Pedalboard seems to fail as, even after renaming the .ffp to .fxp, the preset won't load into the software. The idea I had for 'let's make an EQ setup that is generally good for musical enjoyment' seems to require professional software now :frowning2:.

In accordance with what you said earlier, @martel80 , there's no good way to translate those FFQ3 settings into something that everyone can use? I still think it's a good idea that an EQ can be made for everyone to use - not just for those that have $170 audio software for these headphones, which will be about <1% of the users of these headphones, I'd guess.. If you can write down some EQ filters, I can set them up in Peace and upload the file here so that you and others can listen and tweak it later.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back