Introducing CL2 Planar
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #91 of 133
Just preordered the CL2, pretty interested in how planar IEMs may sound:)
Found another review : https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.soundguys.com/rha-cl2-planar-19217/amp/

‘Right earbud falling out from ear”, “underemphasized bass”, “high peak in treble”. Even though I didn’t hear the CL2, from the review and my experience with IEMs I have the feeling that the reviewer didn’t spend any time in trying to find a good seal:)
This review would not lead me to buy. And since many reviews advocated the first one had peaky highs, maybe it is part of the house sound...

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #92 of 133
I have never heard planar bass. Can you please try to describe it ( I know that is going to be hard), And what exactly did you mean when you said you feel it in your throat.
Hard to describe but I'll try (apols in advance). Maybe a bit of a dramatic metaphor, but when I'm listen to something with the kick that - say this (Spotify link) introduces at 2:59 - there's that extra level of sensation beyond just what you can hear. The CL2 excels at this (imho) because it can provide this without the losing anything else. A bit reductive, but one track I use quite often is Burn the Witch (Spotify link); has those urgent, eery violins at the same time as this momentous, energetic bass riff. CL2 nails doing both of those at once. Again, you'd need to hear it to really see what I mean (again, sorry - are you at RMAF?) but I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Can you kindly tell me what is the detailed spec about the sensitivity? Is it dB/mW, db/mV, db/0.1V?
We use dB/mW to measure; I'll clarify that on the web page (thanks).

This is something that I believe happens a LOT more than people realize.
Preach! Makes an enormous difference when you get the fit right. I have a medium right ear, large left so it took me a while to get a proper fit with in-ears all those years ago, but the difference was instant.

Cheers,
Colum

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #93 of 133
And since many reviews advocated the first one had peaky highs, maybe it is part of the house sound...
I'd encourage everyone to have a listen to the CL2 if they get the chance (and not just because it's my job!). I would say there's a tangible difference between the CL1 and CL2: each was built to showcase a driver tech; the piezo in the CL1 excelled at high frequency reproduction, whereas the CL2 is a single-driver headphone built to showcase planar's capabilities, so they're markedly different.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #94 of 133
This review would not lead me to buy. And since many reviews advocated the first one had peaky highs, maybe it is part of the house sound...
I generally refrain from commenting on other people's reviews, but the sound-part of this review is pretty much nonexistent. Not much use if you are trying to get a good sense of the signature. Let's be honest, this is a lot more informative...
Hard to describe but I'll try (apols in advance). Maybe a bit of a dramatic metaphor, but when I'm listen to something with the kick that - say this (Spotify link) introduces at 2:59 - there's that extra level of sensation beyond just what you can hear. The CL2 excels at this (imho) because it can provide this without the losing anything else. A bit reductive, but one track I use quite often is Burn the Witch (Spotify link); has those urgent, eery violins at the same time as this momentous, energetic bass riff. CL2 nails doing both of those at once. Again, you'd need to hear it to really see what I mean (again, sorry - are you at RMAF?) but I hope that makes some kind of sense.
...but I'd still have to demo to test if I hear it the same as the writer (unless happen to know the writer really well). "Eery violins" might come across to some as peaky treble, but I know from messing around with my Phantom that if the accent on the treble is right "eery violins" can be like a drug I inject straight into my ears as I bask in delicious dopamine. :D

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #95 of 133
Not many people heard the CL2 so at the moment not many people really know how the CL2 sound. For sure, an ‘earpiece falling out the ear’ and ‘bright hights’ - “weak bass” make me think the seal was not there for the reviewer despite the sound signature :). I preordered the CL2 myself and looking for info to know what to expect.If some of you are interested in an unboxing I found this

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #96 of 133
Thanks to whoever mentioned these were available via Amazon pre-order. That extra 5% back (hooray Amazon Prime!) and the fairly liberal Amazon return policies (just in case I don’t care for the sound) made the purchase a go for me.

Is the RHA bluetooth cable just a passthrough, or is it programmable? I have to admit that my Audeze planars didn’t work so well for me until I started EQing them, and I know the Beyerdynamic bluetooth cable has some pretty impressive audio enhancement capabilities.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #97 of 133

We use dB/mW to measure; I'll clarify that on the web page (thanks).

Preach! Makes an enormous difference when you get the fit right. I have a medium right ear, large left so it took me a while to get a proper fit with in-ears all those years ago, but the difference was instant.

Cheers,
Colum
Thanks, yeah that makes sense. I am in Los Angeles, so no I am not going to be at the RMAF.
I cant wait to listen to these in person.
Will be 9rdering it probably in a few weeks.
Thanks for taking the time to describe the sound. .

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #98 of 133
Thanks, yeah that makes sense. I am in Los Angeles, so no I am not going to be at the RMAF.
I cant wait to listen to these in person.
Will be 9rdering it probably in a few weeks.
Thanks for taking the time to describe the sound. .

‘Chaser, where are ya in LA? I’m in Anaheim but work up at JPL, so there’s a fair chance I pass by you on my commute.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #100 of 133
Quite a price difference across the globe :wink: Funny that home country of CL2 gets them most expensive? :D
Amazon.com 590 USD / Amazon.de 800 EUR / Amazon.co.uk 800 GBP

CL2 eu.png CL2 uk.png CL2 us.png

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #102 of 133
Do you guys know this one: „The World's First Magneto-Static In Ear Headphones“ auf Indiegogo an http://igg.me/at/HPSDE70/shre/5971844

Is it comparable?

If I'm parsing the marketing materials there correctly, it sounds like an electret hybrid. Apparently Sonion has an electret version of a balanced armature now, dunno if that's related. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...hones-and-iems.820747/page-1176#post-14457311)

It's not directly relevant/comparable to the CL2, it's a different type of driver.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #103 of 133
I'm mad that I pre ordered this from amazon at such a high price for it to drop to 590.58 and now be out of stock. I may ask customer service for the lower price or return it if I'm not the utmost satisfied. It should arrive Sept 14.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #104 of 133
Amazon.com 590 USD / Amazon.de 800 EUR / Amazon.co.uk 800 GBP

I'm mad that I pre ordered this from amazon at such a high price for it to drop to 590.58 and now be out of stock. I may ask customer service for the lower price or return it if I'm not the utmost satisfied. It should arrive Sept 14.

The USD Amazon price came as a bit of a surprise here, too. We're investigating what happened here. They do not have stock of the CL2.
MSRP for USA is $899.95. Apologies for the confusion. Will update when we know more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back