Introducing CL2 Planar
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #31 of 133
I am really excited because I've bought the CL1 last year after the High End in Munich together with my Dacamp. Since then they've been the best combo I've heard in this price range.
After one year I was catched by the Beyerdynamic Xelentos (again at the High End - visiting is obviously risky at least for me :D) but maybe these boys will get me back to RHA :)

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #33 of 133
This seems really exciting. I love my full sized planars and was tempted by the isines but I believe IEMs are more practical when closed. I'd really love to try these CL2 if possible.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #34 of 133
I thought I read something about the term "planar" being used for dynamic(not really dynamic, but planar-dynamic?) drivers. I guess if we think about it, you can call the driver planar as long as it is configure a certain way. That doesn't necessarily mean it's really like the full-sized planar headphone driver. The scale changes things.

I ask RHA to demonstrate or show us the internals in why they are calling their drivers planar.

Massdrop currently has a drop of x MEE audio Planamic In-Ear Monitors and they show the internals (I'd like to see RHA do the same).

s7XDSSCNTeaCHaePYs3O_new_planar_dynamic_driver.jpg

Here, CEE TEE is explaining how the driver functions. That's the kind of stuff we like to see.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...k/2170397?utm_source=linkshare&referer=49EK2C

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 133
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #36 of 133
Pleased as I am that these are out, they are way out of my budget (sadly).

More interestingly for me is to know if the mmcx bluetooth cable will be sold separately? I have the MA750 wireless, which is my go to IEM now, but I'd love to use the same neckband on some of my less loved mmcx IEMs.

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #37 of 133
Morning all!
Thanks for all the response; some answers and clarifications below:

Look great.
Thanks!
When we are going to see mmcx in other models?
Can't speak to future releases right now! Stay tuned (sorry).

I know right?
Is there a vent opening on this thing? Is it well sound isolated?
No vent - one of the cosmetic/mechanical changes from CL1 - the air contained within the sound chamber is enough to work with the driver's surface area. The sound isolation is :ok_hand: in my own experience; comes with 7 different ear tip styles/sizes/materials; 11 pairs overall; to assist with that.

2.5 balanced plug...means I can no longer use my DACAMP L1's mini 4-pin balanced output...
Not without an adapter - sorry. When we started developing the Dacamp, then the CL1 alongside it, the standard amongst balanced connections was still a contested issue. However, when time came to make a decision on CL2's connections, 2.5mm was generally considered to have come out on top.
On the subject - though the CL2 does sound great through an amplifier, it has an impedance of 15Ω (compared to the CL1's 150Ω (piezo drivers are v. hungry)), so can be driven without.

I thought I read something about the term "planar" being used for dynamic(not really dynamic, but planar-dynamic?) drivers. I guess if we think about it, you can call the driver planar as long as it is configure a certain way. That doesn't necessarily mean it's really like the full-sized planar headphone driver. The scale changes things.
Agreed. The principle of establishing a magnetic plane, and using it to move the planar coil - in this case kind of helix-shaped - as a whole, rather than the single ring, is the method we settled on.
I ask RHA to demonstrate or show us the internals in why they are calling their drivers planar.
I'll try to dig out and upload a diagram but in the meantime this that you've posted:

Here, CEE TEE is explaining how the driver functions.
Looks pretty close: concentric, opposing magnet array at the back that creates the magnetic plane above (this is one of the hardest parts to get right; set them a micrometre out and the field - and the sound - is way out); a helix-shaped coil balancing atop that field; diaphragm at the front.

More interestingly for me is to know if the mmcx bluetooth cable will be sold separately?
No immediate plans, but if it makes sense for us to make separately - or modify and make separately - never say never...

Cheers,
Colum

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #38 of 133
No vent - one of the cosmetic/mechanical changes from CL1 - the air contained within the sound chamber is enough to work with the driver's surface area. The sound isolation is :ok_hand: in my own experience; comes with 7 different ear tip styles/sizes/materials; 11 pairs overall;
Cheers,
Colum
Hi. About the tips, the size is the same of other headphones? 400 if i'm right?
Thank you

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #40 of 133
Would love to test on a tour (based in the UK). Subbed.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #42 of 133
Me too
I want to compare them with my CL1 and Xelento IEM

Aug 24, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #43 of 133
@RHA Team
So does the CL2 replace the CL1??
Yes and no? The CL Series is basically our ongoing series of quasi-experimental audio tech using quite specific manufacturing and material processes; on that basis, each production may be quite limited. We sold all the CL1s we made (archive and warranty stock aside), and the product team were interested in trying something else, not just sitting on top of one tech or design - the CL2 was already in development when the CL1 was launched.
So they look similar; we use the same ceramic material, the same moulding process and describe roughly the same housing shape (CL2 loses a grille; gains a different contour leading into the MMCX socket) as the CL1; but they sound pretty different. The project started with the aim to get 'planar sound' in an IEM, so it was always going to sound different from the piezo/dynamic hybrid in the CL1!
Hope that answers your question!

Cheers,
Colum

*edited for clarity

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #44 of 133
The CL Series is basically our ongoing series of quasi-experimental audio tech; on that basis, each model may be quite a limited run.

Does that mean that the CL2 will be a limited run?

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #45 of 133
Does that mean that the CL2 will be a limited run?
Not necessarily; though we don't expect everything we make to be available forever. Like everything, we'll gauge response and demand; and where it sits with our future plans - and reassess one production at a time.
That said, the initial production of the CL2 is currently making its way across the globe ahead of the 12th! I don't expect it will be the last.
I'll clarify that in the original post! Obviously due to the nature of the CL2, the production is limited compared to, say, the MA390.
Cheers,
Colum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back