Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #92 of 3,158
I was planning on getting the CL2 planar and then this Massdrop x Zeus XIV comes up. Now I am up in the air.
Isn't the Zeus really treble focused?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #93 of 3,158
I'd love to hear your comparison between this and the phantom when you get it.

Will do, I doubt the CL2 will be as full sounding, but then almost nothing is all full sounding, the even the VE8 sounds "thin" compared the the fullness of the Phantom.
I think they have different signature but sure.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #94 of 3,158
Will do, I doubt the CL2 will be as full sounding, but then almost nothing is all full sounding, the even the VE8 sounds "thin" compared the the fullness of the Phantom.
I think they have different signature but sure.
I was really considering the phantom and vantage. Both have a really thick signature. Or so I am led to believe.
But the phantom is described as very organic, and the cl2 with the planar driver I would think sounds organic too.
Anyways, I don't know if the comparison is apples to apples, but would really like to get your input on it.
Also the LCDi4. :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #95 of 3,158
ghxbkjty.jpg

Hi Head-Fi!

We're very excited to announce the next installment in the CL Series; the CL2 Planar.

It's a closed-back in-ear headphone that features a planar magnetic driver at its core.

mj5wnsr3.jpg

The housings are moulded from zirconium dioxide, a ceramic compound; they're detachable and use MMCX connections.

7y8geijc.jpg
bjt0ywjt.jpg
heob1exr.jpg

We've made it - and shipped it - with a range of cables, including a Bluetooth wireless neckband, and balanced 2.5mm cable.

xut4q5yl.jpg

MSRP: £799.95 / $899.95

More info here; ask away below! We'll be arranging a listening tour shortly.​
Any chance you guys release LDAC support for the bluetooth?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #97 of 3,158
The IT04 is not as refined or subtle as the CL2. Don't get me wrong the IT04 is an excellent earphone for the price but for me I prefer the overall presentation of the CL2.

I know people will want a more in-depth opinion but that kind of sums it up for me.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #99 of 3,158
So we have the baseline of deep impactful and well controlled bass, clean smooth mids and extended highs with lots of detail but I am still curious about the presentation : is thick or thin? mids forward or recessed? I gather the soundstage is good, how is the shape? how is depth and height compared to width? One last thing, how fast is it? I suspect it's just as fast as any BA given my experience with the i4 but let's confirm this :)

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #100 of 3,158
So we have the baseline of deep impactful and well controlled bass, clean smooth mids and extended highs with lots of detail but I am still curious about the presentation : is thick or thin? mids forward or recessed? I gather the soundstage is good, how is the shape? how is depth and height compared to width? One last thing, how fast is it? I suspect it's just as fast as any BA given my experience with the i4 but let's confirm this :)

I'm not always the best at describing what I hear but in terms of pace or how fast these are - I think they are quick, I said initially about the accuracy and sharpness to guitars, I stand by this. Snare drums and certain kinds of guitar riffs have a real snap to them, remind me of the kind of accurate quick snap you get from the Etymotic ER4 range.

The depth of the CL2 is also very good, probably one of the best I've heard, there are details within tracks that I've heard before but now I can really hear them, not pushed forward or out of place but just more prominent (if that makes sense).
Presentation wise I would say the CL2 sits pretty much in the middle, they are certainly not thin sounding like a Ety but they also don't have the thick sound that I think the IT04 or Noble K10 have.

The mids are are very similar, they sit nicely in the mix if I had to say one way or another then I would say they are ever so slightly forward but I'm pushing it to say that as they are certainly not recessed.

Again though this is only to my ears with my source, I've heard other earphones a lot differently to others at times. I'm also not sure my single source is giving a rounded enough impression. Just bought a Sony NW-ZX300 whichshould be here Tuesday so should be interesting to see how they sound with that.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #101 of 3,158
I'm not always the best at describing what I hear but in terms of pace or how fast these are - I think they are quick, I said initially about the accuracy and sharpness to guitars, I stand by this. Snare drums and certain kinds of guitar riffs have a real snap to them, remind me of the kind of accurate quick snap you get from the Etymotic ER4 range.

The depth of the CL2 is also very good, probably one of the best I've heard, there are details within tracks that I've heard before but now I can really hear them, not pushed forward or out of place but just more prominent (if that makes sense).
Presentation wise I would say the CL2 sits pretty much in the middle, they are certainly not thin sounding like a Ety but they also don't have the thick sound that I think the IT04 or Noble K10 have.

The mids are are very similar, they sit nicely in the mix if I had to say one way or another then I would say they are ever so slightly forward but I'm pushing it to say that as they are certainly not recessed.

Again though this is only to my ears with my source, I've heard other earphones a lot differently to others at times. I'm also not sure my single source is giving a rounded enough impression. Just bought a Sony NW-ZX300 whichshould be here Tuesday so should be interesting to see how they sound with that.
Try the 4.4mm Pentacon. .that is where the sony takes off.
Maybe I am not understanding this right, but I am picturing a 3d sound effect.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #103 of 3,158
Sep 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #104 of 3,158
Sep 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #105 of 3,158
The reason I mention this is because the RHA press release on RMAF states:

RHA Introduces the World’s First Planar Magnetic Bluetooth Headphone: The CL2 Planar

I believe the Audeze Mobius would be the first BT planar headphone. The CL2 might be the first BT planar IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back