Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,442 of 3,158
Been a while since i posted here, interesting reading regarding charts etc. Me - charts are bollocks lol. If people don't like the CL2 and want to hear what a chart has told them then that's fine. We can't like everything. I think Noble are vastly over rated but that's not a view that is well liked on head-fi - each to their own.

I've probably got around 250-300 hours on the CL2 now and they are quite simply stunning. Still using the Symbio W tips, tempted to try the spinfits but when I see a postage time of 3 weeks from Japan it kind of puts me off. The change to the **** cable helped with the fit issue regarding the heavy earhook thingy's and may have made a slight difference to the sound as well.

I spent a few days with my much loved AKG N5005 but fear I will sell them now as well as my Ibasso IT04. Despite still sounding very good they both sound veiled in comparison to the CL2,

As others have pointed out, the Sony/CL2 combo is something quite special.

I got the N5005 and the SE846 (my first high-end IEM, use it most on to go, gym running nowdays etc) since before and really like them. Do you think the CL2 and N5005 can co-exist or are they rather similar?

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,443 of 3,158
I got the N5005 and the SE846 (my first high-end IEM, use it most on to go, gym running nowdays etc) since before and really like them. Do you think the CL2 and N5005 can co-exist or are they rather similar?

For me they co-exist.

Different sound signatures and if I had to choose between them I wouldn’t be able to.

The CL2 is more detailed in all aspects, however the N5005 doesn’t lack in detail but also adds a warmth to the music that the CL2 doesn’t have, almost an anolouge sound compare to the CL2.

The fit is better on the CL2 as well, both sit flush but the CL2 just a little more flush, the Bluetooth performance is also better on the CL2.

I love them both, been using the N5005 a lot the last week or two and it really is an excellent earphone.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,445 of 3,158
Deciding between CL2 and Andromeda to pair with A&K se100. Mainly listen to rock and ambient, 80s stuff like depeche mode and pet shop boys. Sometimes a little bit of jazz and minimal techno too.

Hoping someone could chime in with a couple of sentences on how they would suit my musical taste. Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,446 of 3,158
For me they co-exist.

Different sound signatures and if I had to choose between them I wouldn’t be able to.

The CL2 is more detailed in all aspects, however the N5005 doesn’t lack in detail but also adds a warmth to the music that the CL2 doesn’t have, almost an anolouge sound compare to the CL2.

The fit is better on the CL2 as well, both sit flush but the CL2 just a little more flush, the Bluetooth performance is also better on the CL2.

I love them both, been using the N5005 a lot the last week or two and it really is an excellent earphone.

Thanks for the reply and nice to hear! I Just a bit worried it would be a bit of an overkill to own both N5005 and CL2, also thought about the IE800s (owning those three would totally be an overkill, at least for me, right now..). I think I noticed in another tread that you previously had the IE800s aswell; not sure if I'm hijacking this thread or am a stalker! :D Would you agree that N5005 and CL2 are both better than the IE800s?

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,447 of 3,158
Thanks for the reply and nice to hear! I Just a bit worried it would be a bit of an overkill to own both N5005 and CL2, also thought about the IE800s (owning those three would totally be an overkill, at least for me, right now..). I think I noticed in another tread that you previously had the IE800s aswell; not sure if I'm hijacking this thread or am a stalker! :D Would you agree that N5005 and CL2 are both better than the IE800s?

The IE800s are a very good earphone but after a while I felt they lacked a certain something, I’d definitely pick both the N5005 and CL2 over them.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,448 of 3,158
Deciding between CL2 and Andromeda to pair with A&K se100. Mainly listen to rock and ambient, 80s stuff like depeche mode and pet shop boys. Sometimes a little bit of jazz and minimal techno too.

Hoping someone could chime in with a couple of sentences on how they would suit my musical taste. Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
I think @SciOC can answer that better than anyone else on this thread :)

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,449 of 3,158
How the SQ driving CL2 straight out of the phone? These days prefers Spotify/Tidal streaming instead of carrying a dedicated DAP
@AManAnd88Keys wrote a few days back that the quality out of an iPhone was surprisingly good.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #1,450 of 3,158
@AManAnd88Keys wrote a few days back that the quality out of an iPhone was surprisingly good.
ehhh, I think it depends what you're used to. When I listen to these out of my Cayin n3 they don't sound nearly as good as my hiby r6. I can imagine an iPhone would be even worse than that.

It's like the audeze isine20. To this day I still wonder what the lightning cable proponents are smoking. It sounds much better EQd on a capable DAP than with the lighting cable on iPhone.... The soundstage and imagine on a good DAP are oodles better than a phone or cheap DAC.

I think @SciOC can answer that better than anyone else on this thread :)

The andromeda will offer the wider soundstage (not more accurate, just wider) and will smooth over poorly recorded material much better, but past that, the CL2 is better everywhere, especially bass wise. Imaging might be a push.

The CL2 has a sense of realism that the Andromeda can't match. Attack and decay is a level up, leading to a extremely realistic timbre. To be honest, these are what I was hoping the Andromeda would be.... Hard to believe the separation and imaging from a single driver is as good as the Andromeda, but it is.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #1,451 of 3,158
ehhh, I think it depends what you're used to. When I listen to these out of my Cayin n3 they don't sound nearly as good as my hiby r6. I can imagine an iPhone wouldn't be even worse than that.

It's like the audeze isine20. To this day I still wonder what the lightning cable proponents are smoking. It sounds much better EQd on a capable DAP than with the lighting cable on iPhone.... The soundstage and imagine on a good DAP are oodles better than a phone or cheap DAC.

The andromeda will offer the wider soundstage (not more accurate, just wider) and will smooth over poorly recorded material much better, but past that, the CL2 is better everywhere, especially bass wise. Imaging might be a push.

The CL2 has a sense of realism that the Andromeda can't match. Attack and decay is a level up, leading to a extremely realistic timbre. To be honest, these are what I was hoping the Andromeda would be.... Hard to believe the separation and imaging from a single driver is as good as the Andromeda, but it is.
Agree with everything you just said. I just gave my DM6 attached to the CL2 Bluetooth band to my sister, and to her its the best thing since sliced bread. Me personally, I can't listen to it without comparing it out of a balanced cable from of my sony dap, so its a non starter for me.
It's hard to go backwards, but to a person that only listens out of a bluetooth connection, or an iphone, that is what they are used to.
The CL2 will scale up with a 3000 dollar dap, so yeah :) you won't get the full effect out of an iPhone, but as amanand88keys puts it "it's not a dumpster fire".

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #1,452 of 3,158
ehhh, I think it depends what you're used to. When I listen to these out of my Cayin n3 they don't sound nearly as good as my hiby r6. I can imagine an iPhone would be even worse than that.

Thanks. In that case, I will need to reconsider the option else won't do justice to the CL2. As expected, planar need some juice to drive it. I tried iSine 10/20 with Cipher but already liking it except for the poor isolation.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,453 of 3,158
Surprisingly good in the sense that the performance wasn't unbearable to my ears. If you are serious about music, the CL2 is way too much for any iPod or iPhone and should be paired with a dedicated player, and not a cheap one either.
But yes, as you quoted correctly, it's not a dumpster fire and if you are planning to get a better source anyway, a phone could do it for the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,455 of 3,158
Agree with everything you just said. I just gave my DM6 attached to the CL2 Bluetooth band to my sister, and to her its the best thing since sliced bread. Me personally, I can't listen to it without comparing it out of a balanced cable from of my sony dap, so its a non starter for me.
It's hard to go backwards, but to a person that only listens out of a bluetooth connection, or an iphone, that is what they are used to.
The CL2 will scale up with a 3000 dollar dap, so yeah :) you won't get the full effect out of an iPhone, but as amanand88keys puts it "it's not a dumpster fire".
This is the kind of comments that makes manufacturers raise their price that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back