Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #586 of 3,158
I'm only using the CL2 stock cables.

I dread the thought of starting to mess with different cables, it would open up a new world of hurt for me!!
The only cables I've ever bought have been a balanced mmcx cable for my Ety ER4sr and the same for my now sold IMR R1.

The CL2 and Sony ZX300 combo continue to amaze me, using an Ibasso 2.5mm to 4.4mm connection. Well built adapter if a little long.

A little off topic because I haven't tried the CL2 in SE mode from the ZX300 but with other earbuds/iem's I find the SE from the ZX300 performs very well, maybe not quite as good as the balanced but good enough.

And a wee bit more off topic - I compared my CL2 to my AKG N5005 yesterday.
My end conclusion was that although I probably marginally prefer the CL2 I will still be keeping the N5005 as they are an excellent earphone. More of an airy sound than the CL2 with a deeper bass but not as detailed or fast in their treble response. Difficult to compare the two in reality due to different drivers.
I only bought a cable because I didn't wanna deal with a clunky adapter.
I really like the ergonomics of the alo litz cable, it's really soft and doesnt tangle at all.
I am gonna get a bgvp dm6 for myself and might invest in a copper litz cable if the China generic doesn't pan out.
But a 100, and maybe 150 for a good litz cable is the max I will ever spend.
Edit: dont really see myself wanting to upgrad after the NW-ZX300, this thing is a powerhouse, and portable to boot.
Between the CL2 and DM6 I'll be good for a long long time.
Cable is the last money I will spend on my setup. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #587 of 3,158
Has anybody tried to listen them in Bluetooth?

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #588 of 3,158
I only bought a cable because I didn't wanna deal with a clunky adapter.
I really like the ergonomics of the alo litz cable, it's really soft and doesnt tangle at all.
I am gonna get a bgvp dm6 for myself and might invest in a copper litz cable if the China generic doesn't pan out.
But a 100, and maybe 150 for a good litz cable is the max I will ever spend.

You say that now! Upgraditis will take effect!!

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #589 of 3,158
You say that now! Upgraditis will take effect!!
I have other things in my life that need an upgrade. :)
Hopefully I don't turn into a 3000 dollar cable buyer. Chasing that high forever.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #590 of 3,158
I have other things in my life that need an upgrade. :)
Hopefully I don't turn into a 3000 dollar cable buyer. Chasing that high forever.

You're in luck, I'm selling my cable for 2999 today only! You won't believe your ears!
11001.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #591 of 3,158
Has anybody tried to listen them in Bluetooth?

A few of us talked about it earlier in the thread. Both davidmolliere and I think it sounds very good through the Bluetooth headband. I think despite the lack of AptX-HD or LDAC it's a very nice pairing, and was clearly designed to perform synergistically with the CL2s.

The only reason I don't the Bluetooth band more is that I use the CL2s with my desktop, laptop, and digital piano as well as my phone. It's simpler to just connect it to the Radsone ES100 when I need Bluetooth and then use wired for everything else.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #592 of 3,158
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #594 of 3,158
A few of us talked about it earlier in the thread. Both davidmolliere and I think it sounds very good through the Bluetooth headband. I think despite the lack of AptX-HD or LDAC it's a very nice pairing, and was clearly designed to perform synergistically with the CL2s.

The only reason I don't the Bluetooth band more is that I use the CL2s with my desktop, laptop, and digital piano as well as my phone. It's simpler to just connect it to the Radsone ES100 when I need Bluetooth and then use wired for everything else.
I tried the Bluetooth today and founded it realy good with a simple iPhone. Very smooth and addictive on Bluetooth . Usually I don’t use Bluetooth as my first experiences were not realy good. But with these one I am charmed and maybe I will keep them only for bluetooth listening on the go, on plane or tube. I don’t like the ear hooks on the 2 stocks and prefer these one. I will wait David return with the redcore Zen to know if it change something.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #595 of 3,158

Yeah I think the tuning is very smart and the form factor is higly convenient!

I tried the Bluetooth today and founded it realy good with a simple iPhone. Very smooth and addictive on Bluetooth . Usually I don’t use Bluetooth as my first experiences were not realy good. But with these one I am charmed and maybe I will keep them only for bluetooth listening on the go, on plane or tube. I don’t like the ear hooks on the 2 stocks and prefer these one. I will wait David return with the redcore Zen to know if it change something.

Actually it's the Hansound Zen, but they also build the Redcore

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #596 of 3,158
Hey guys I found the perfect diy cable for you at work just now. It's 24 gauge 50 pair turned into 1 conductor due to a power hit, should tame the highs while shorting out favorite in ears! Let me know who wants some, I'll sell it for 50 bucks a foot, I believe I have about 100 feet right now.
20181013_113439.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #597 of 3,158
Yeah I think the tuning is very smart and the form factor is higly convenient!

Actually it's the Hansound Zen, but they also build the Redcore
:L3000:

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #598 of 3,158
Hey guys I found the perfect diy cable for you at work just now. It's 24 gauge 50 pair turned into 1 conductor due to a power hit, should tame the highs while shorting out favorite in ears! Let me know who wants some, I'll sell it for 50 bucks a foot, I believe I have about 100 feet right now.
I am gonna have to pair them with a portable generator to power my CL2, 5000 WATTS and the highs have unlimited extension.
Best sound you will ever hear...before you get fried. .

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #599 of 3,158
:laughing:
A coat hanger definitely would be a bit stiffer than the stock cable which I thought would be hard :smiling_imp:

Well I was a non believer in cable at first... also in burn in...
The thing is a cable will bring subtle alteration to the sound signature, it's more fine tuning than radically different sound you'll get. But those improvements are the extra mile to get just what you're looking from so even if it's 10% better it's a great improvement IMHO.

As far as burn in goes I view it a bit like buying a new pair of shoes. Until you work the leather a bit, and conform them to your feet you may get a blister or two. As far as cables go, well my ears are not that good, and I'm happy about that. If you can hear the difference in the way a wire conducts electrons by all means buy what you enjoy. I just find it a bit to far to go. The only reason I see to buy a cable is aesthetics, or comfort.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #600 of 3,158
As far as burn in goes I view it a bit like buying a new pair of shoes. Until you work the leather a bit, and conform them to your feet you may get a blister or two. As far as cables go, well my ears are not that good, and I'm happy about that. If you can hear the difference in the way a wire conducts electrons by all means buy what you enjoy. I just find it a bit to far to go. The only reason I see to buy a cable is aesthetics, or comfort.
That is where I am at with it.
Looking to probably buy an alo copper litz cable, it is black in color and will go well with the CL2.
Will use the silver litz with the DM6.
Anything else, I don't know. Even if my ears can tell a difference, its not worth it for me to see whatever % improvement i will get. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back