Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #571 of 3,158
Not saying there isn't, just saying that with the CL2 balanced cable I don't find balanced to be a great improvement (there was a disclaimer in that initial statement).
I don't think SPC is the way to go with the CL2 as it tends to artificially boost details on lower tier cables.
But of course your mileage may vary and it depends on your taste in sound sig :)
I am not outright disagreeing about the cables. I am Actually looking forward to your review of the cable you are about to get.
I wonder what amanand88keys and mccol are using.
Edit : balanced on the sony is better than the single ended. No doubt about that one, though how much of the difference is to do with the copper or spc is what I wanna find out.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #572 of 3,158
I Can't really do a true copper spc A/B test on the balanced 4.4mm.
Maybe someone out there has both cables ( ideally same company ) on hand to do a quick review.
Edit: too many variables on my end to make any concrete assertions. Other than the balanced sounds quite a bit better to my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #573 of 3,158
I Can't really do a true copper spc A/B test on the balanced 4.4mm.
Maybe someone out there has both cables ( ideally same company ) on hand to do a quick review.
Edit: too many variables on my end to make any concrete assertions. Other than the balanced sounds quite a bit better to my ears.

I'll be able to make the comparison soon, the Hansound Zen will be there on monday

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #574 of 3,158
Campfire audio is selling a 1000 dollar gold cable. Go figure.
I don't even know, what to say :)

That cable better wake up in the morning and cook me breakfast.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #575 of 3,158
Bling-Bling.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #576 of 3,158
Campfire audio is selling a 1000 dollar gold cable. Go figure.
I don't even know, what to say :)
That cable better wake up in the morning and cook me breakfast.

Well, there is even pricier cables, for example I had the chance to listen to @popof94 PW 1960 4 wires and it delivers the goods and then some, now does that mean the 1.7K price tag is justified only you can decide :p

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #577 of 3,158
Ugh, mental note to self, don't go onto Amazon when you're feeling under the weather...

Despite people on this very thread saying that there is good synergy with the Sony ZX300 and the CL2, I've just ordered an WM1A to marry up with the CL2, alongside an iBasso 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter.

Hope I haven't made a cataclysmically wrong choice when compared to the FiiO Q5.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #578 of 3,158
Ugh, mental note to self, don't go onto Amazon when you're feeling under the weather...
Despite people on this very thread saying that there is good synergy with the Sony ZX300 and the CL2, I've just ordered an WM1A to marry up with the CL2, alongside an iBasso 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter.
Hope I haven't made a cataclysmically wrong choice when compared to the FiiO Q5.

Since I have owned the WM1A, I don't think you made a mistake and anyway you can return it :wink:
WM1A is the same Sony house sound with great layering and depth, analogue sounding bass, smooth mids and airy trebles.

The WM1A is more neutral warm than warm as the ZX300 but it's not night and day either from memory. You'll get something more neutral and a bit more transparent.
The iBasso adapter is very good the only disclaimer is to be careful on the go because you get a pretty long "plug" with the adapter.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #580 of 3,158
Well, there is even pricier cables, for example I had the chance to listen to @popof94 PW 1960 4 wires and it delivers the goods and then some, now does that mean the 1.7K price tag is justified only you can decide :p

I'm sure it's me, but I really do not get the whole cable thing. As long as it conducts current it's working. That said I have never tried listening on a high priced cable. I know of one study that used a coat hanger and monster cable in a blind AB test, the coat hanger won.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #581 of 3,158
:L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #582 of 3,158
You absolutely have to go balanced.

Using the zx300 with the SE and EL-8 closed back, no burn in and I'm very impressed. The CL2's are clearly better on the balanced output, but the SE isn't bad at all.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #583 of 3,158
Using the zx300 with the SE and EL-8 closed back, no burn in and I'm very impressed. The CL2's are clearly better on the balanced output, but the SE isn't bad at all.

So I tested again and yes balanced on the ZX300 is clearly better in particular bass and treble extension as well as more expansive soundstage.
But the stock balanced cable definitely does not have the best timbre, the highs are mettalic sounding so I can't wait for the Hansound Zen to arrive!

I'm sure it's me, but I really do not get the whole cable thing. As long as it conducts current it's working. That said I have never tried listening on a high priced cable. I know of one study that used a coat hanger and monster cable in a blind AB test, the coat hanger won.

:laughing:
A coat hanger definitely would be a bit stiffer than the stock cable which I thought would be hard :smiling_imp:

Well I was a non believer in cable at first... also in burn in...
The thing is a cable will bring subtle alteration to the sound signature, it's more fine tuning than radically different sound you'll get. But those improvements are the extra mile to get just what you're looking from so even if it's 10% better it's a great improvement IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #584 of 3,158

Now that hanger is going for $3k

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #585 of 3,158
I'm only using the CL2 stock cables.

I dread the thought of starting to mess with different cables, it would open up a new world of hurt for me!!
The only cables I've ever bought have been a balanced mmcx cable for my Ety ER4sr and the same for my now sold IMR R1.

The CL2 and Sony ZX300 combo continue to amaze me, using an Ibasso 2.5mm to 4.4mm connection. Well built adapter if a little long.

A little off topic because I haven't tried the CL2 in SE mode from the ZX300 but with other earbuds/iem's I find the SE from the ZX300 performs very well, maybe not quite as good as the balanced but good enough.

And a wee bit more off topic - I compared my CL2 to my AKG N5005 yesterday.
My end conclusion was that although I probably marginally prefer the CL2 I will still be keeping the N5005 as they are an excellent earphone. More of an airy sound than the CL2 with a deeper bass but not as detailed or fast in their treble response. Difficult to compare the two in reality due to different drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back