Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #541 of 3,158
The more I listen to them, the more I think that for my tastes, the CL2 needs a warmer source just like my Phantom and VE8 need the air, transparency and detail of the DX200. I'll be able to listen to them with a FiiO X7 II at the meetup on the 21st but I suspect it will be a good pairing. Also think it would pair beautifully with something like the WM1Z.

Anyone runs a X7 II, X5 III or WM1Z with the CL2?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #542 of 3,158
Waoww, what a wonderful revue, thank you so much for all these details. I can only compare the CL2 to the Lcdi4, two planar and find there is a big step between them.
The soundstage on the Lcdi4 is larger, deeper and more realistic. I find the soundstage on CL2 not realy credible in all size.

I prefer too the tuning on the Lcdi4: for example on a quatuor the violin sound like a violin, viola like viola and cello like cello. On the CL2 the violin sound thinner, it is difficult to find the viola between violin and cello and the cello is too small and not deeper enough. Some thing for the piano: I can’t imagine that it’s a concert hall model and can’t imagine it at it real place.
Last thing, I find the treeble a little bit metallic and rude.
The CL2 are of course great Iems but for my tastes difficult to compare to the Lcdi4. The Lcdi4 sounds more like good headphone where the CL2 sounds like good middle range Iems.

PS: i tried with the stock cu cable ( very uncomfortable for me)and Polymojo.
I class this as more of a positive to the CL2 than a negative, considering that the i4 is open and, more importantly, three times the cost of the CL2, so to be even mentioned I'm the same breath is a testament to the CL2s VFM.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #543 of 3,158
Mine is still burning its been 15 hours...
David do you know if there is anyone who reterminate 2.5 to 4.4 in Paris?
thankx:beerchug:

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #544 of 3,158
KSE1200 is pretty much in a category by itself and has qualities that only electrostats can do. Compared to CL2:

Lows - KSE does not have the same beefy impact of CL2, but instead has a little mid bass hump to help with impact and quantity. I would say this is the best quality of the CL2 and worst quality of KSE. Both give outstanding details and extensions though.

Mids - KSE has some of Shure characteristics of forward/lush mids while CL2 is more neutral. I also find the CL2 has a touch of edge in the upper mids whereas KSE does not. Pretty close to each other though.

Highs - KSE extends further and higher than CL2 and also more sharpness and edge versus CL2. I would not say CL2 is rolled off or dark, just that the highs are more diffused and slightly laid back. IMHO, highs are the best quality of KSE and the worse quality of CL2. Again, relatively speaking.

Neither CL2 or KSE are leaders in sound stage but they both do well for IEMs. My JH Laylas are still the sound stage champs IMHO.

Where CL2 or other standard IEM pulls ahead of KSE is portability. One might think the KSE amp is not a big deal, but the more you try to use it as portable, the more you find it's a real PITA. To make things even more confounding, I've found the KSE with Spinfit double flange tips to isolate better than any IEM I've ever owned, something I really want on my frequent plane trips. But that damn KSE amp has me looking for another solution for travel and I will be giving the CL2 a thorough test this weekend on my next flight.

Thanks for this. I have been very interested in the KSE 1200, or the KSE1500 but struggling to justify the cost. Glad I went with the CL2's now

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #545 of 3,158
I use mediums, and medium fit me pretty well. Try it, I think it's much much better. EDIT: The spirals honestly pushed the CL2 to another level for me. Symbio was not even in the same zip code.
Bass is so responsive, its unbelievable. highs and mids just pop.
Spiral dots are perfect with this iem.

I must need a bigger size, tried the Spiral Dots and I do not get the isolation I do with the Klipsch tips. I'll give a few days to grow on me but I don't think I like them.

On a side note got 200 hrs burn in on both the CL2's , and the NW-ZX300 balanced output. Both are a treat to listen to.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #546 of 3,158
A bit of topic but on source synergy... I notice quite a few of you guys have a ZX300, from what I gather it's a warmer organic signature? I loved the ZX2 and WM1A so I could be interested.

I didn't know it had a bluetooth receiver feature since 2.00 firmware, does that work well to enjoy streaming on the ZX300?
I read if you have an android phone you can even enjoy LDAC?

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #548 of 3,158
Yes, and Yes. :)

Ok great, now I have one, it was on sale -10% right next door :p

Oh my I had missed that signature I loved with the ZX2, and to a lesser extent the more neutral WM1A... and bluetooth receiver makes quality streaming possible oh yeah :D

Just a few minutes listening but it's a perfect match for the CL2 now I do have exactly what I was looking for... what's the consensus on burn-in for the ZX300? Even out of the box I just love that analog organic warm signature... yum!

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #549 of 3,158
Ok my bad i had my zx300 on equlizer mode for my other iem
I had elevated bass and turn down terrible,that's why high were muted and bass was like Atlas
Now i switched back to direct mode, and finally All is well ...
After 15 hours burn my short impressions
These iem are highly detailed transparent on highs, Medium is forward ,sounds good with vocal which is well present. Women voice sound sweeter then male vocal,
Bass is fast and deep but has not that wight as atlas bass.
May be im used to atlas dd bass.
These iem suits well with Instrumental music, Jazz, vocal

I tried all the tips came with but large silicon tips fits good
But im tempted to try tennmaak and spiral dots,

Overall very impressed with these little gems

I'm sure they will sound even better with balanced cable,

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #551 of 3,158
Sony say 200 hours, on a screen on the device itself, apparently the capacitors need angry pixie electrons running through them for that long to get the best sound.

Ok so basically same as ZX2 and WM1A, those capacitors need to heat up :)
Thanks!

Edit : Hmmm, I just checked WM1Z does have the BT receiver feature as well with firmware upgrade... oh my...

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #552 of 3,158

Oh my I had missed that signature I loved with the ZX2, and to a lesser extent the more neutral WM1A... and bluetooth receiver makes quality streaming possible oh yeah :D

Just a few minutes listening but it's a perfect match for the CL2 now I do have exactly what I was looking for... what's the consensus on burn-in for the ZX300? Even out of the box I just love that analog organic warm signature... yum!

It's weird, but the zx300 does change over time. When I bought mine used, the single ended had over 200 hrs, the balanced had 0. At first, I didn't think the balanced was a massive improvement, but, I'm over 200 now, and it's changed quite a bit. It was still better than single even at 0 hours, but it's gotten better. More air, seperation, highs seem more detailed without being harsh or overly anylytical. And this is on an ex1000, t50rp build, 1more triple and magaosi k3p, all of them I've noticed the changes. I'm not one who believes in burn in, much at all, but for whatever reason it's true on the zx300. That's also what I find odd about people claiming the cl2 changes, I have never ever heard of a planar changing from burn in, but maybe since this is a very small driver, it's possible. Enough of you have said it changes that I believe it though, especially after experiencING the zx300 change so much. Also, the zx300 is a very analog sound to me, very detailed but not bright, great low end, and just an overall warm tone. They definitely pair well with the ex1000, so if the cl2 has a sharp or sometimes peaky treble it will pair well as others have already confirmed. The other thing about the zx300/1a/1z is the EQ and sound presets work incredibly well, it's fun to tinker even though I leave it all off 90% of the time just to save battery life.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #553 of 3,158

Yes it changes. Pretty noticable in 50 hour increments.
I am only using balanced.

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #554 of 3,158
I must need a bigger size, tried the Spiral Dots and I do not get the isolation I do with the Klipsch tips. I'll give a few days to grow on me but I don't think I like them.

On a side note got 200 hrs burn in on both the CL2's , and the NW-ZX300 balanced output. Both are a treat to listen to.
Sorry to hear that. Try a bigger size, (ML) maybe you can sell the mediums to someone on head fi.

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #555 of 3,158

After an afternoon with ZX300 + CL2 yes there is clearly a very high synergy between the two, it's actually much better than with the DX200/AMP8 and also better than Mojo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back