Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #1,187 of 3,158
Look, I don't think anyone needs to make excuses or defend the CL2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For those who have purchased the CL2 or those thinking about it, what I think is clear from this conversation is:
1) the CL2 is not an iem you can buy, pull out of the box, and expect to have a full sense of it's capanilities or overall sound. Like a baseball glove definitely requires some breaking in.
2) Their sound also changes quite a lot with different tips and insertion depth. You probably will need to play around with it until you find what works for you. Even if it seems like a tip gives you good seal, another tip may sound better to your ears
3) it is very resolving, which can be a very good thing, but also will reveal all the faults in poorly recorded/mastered/produced music
4) particularly before it is fully burnt in, it can be harsh in the upper mids with the stick cable. Many folks (myself included) have found that all copper cables, which tend to be warmer, reduce this significantly, potentially completely (did for me). They don't need to be expensive cables.
5) if you are willing to put in the time to get to know them, they have the potential to provide true totl sound quality with very dynamic, resolving, and transparent sound, and an excellent performance for their price.
6) not everyone is going to like them

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,188 of 3,158
I’m quite upset @Kitechaser that your deal was a lot better than mine lol - that is a good price!

Still, would be happy to pay more than I did for what you get, it’s just a bit of a shame that there will be a lot of negatitivity launched at them for the amount of effort you have to go to to get them to sing.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,189 of 3,158
Look, I don't think anyone needs to make excuses or defend the CL2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For those who have purchased the CL2 or those thinking about it, what I think is clear from this conversation is:
1) the CL2 is not an iem you can buy, pull out of the box, and expect to have a full sense of it's capanilities or overall sound. Like a baseball glove definitely requires some breaking in.
2) Their sound also changes quite a lot with different tips and insertion depth. You probably will need to play around with it until you find what works for you. Even if it seems like a too gives you a good deal, another tip may sound better to your ears
3) it is very resolving, which can be a very good thing, but also will reveal all the faults in poorly recorded/mastered/produced music
4) particularly before it is fully burnt in, it can be harsh in the upper mids with the stick cable. Many folks (myself included) have found that all copper cables, which tend to be warmer, reduce this significantly, potentially completely (did for me). They don't need to be expensive cables.
5) if you are willing to put in the time to get to know them, they have the potential to provide true totl sound quality with very dynamic, resolving, and transparent sound, and an excellent performance for their price.

Absolutely agree :) Maybe RHA should write this on the back of the CL2 box ahah
@SciOC Let us know if you ear differences in sound after the burn in :)

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,190 of 3,158
I’m quite upset @Kitechaser that your deal was a lot better than mine lol - that is a good price!

Still, would be happy to pay more than I did for what you get, it’s just a bit of a shame that there will be a lot of negatitivity launched at them for the amount of effort you have to go to to get them to sing.
Hey I paid $300 dollars for cables, and $50 for tips, so you are still ahead of me :)
Yeah, it's gonna be a constant barrage.
RHA should not have done the review thing, word of mouth would have been enough.
The negativity is really intense when egos get involved.
"Professional reviewers" against us poor plebs. They have to bring the light to us attitude is tiresome.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,191 of 3,158
Hey I paid $300 dollars for cables, and $50 for tips, so you are still ahead of me :)
RHA should not have done the review thing, word of mouth would have been enough.
"Professional reviewers" against us poor plebs. They have to bring the light to us attitude is tiresome.
I’ll raise you with the £900 I paid for the DAP and the £65 I paid for my cable (okay, you win that part!) - the tips though, already had those lol.

No-one has truly golden ears, whether a professional reviewer or someone who has lived in a cave their whole life - we only have an approximation of what sounds good - sometimes that falls into line for a large demographic, other times it is much smaller... there is rarely ever total consensus - no-one, whether a liker or a hater should feel burned by what people are saying on the other side of the fence.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,192 of 3,158

I learned to only trust my ears. Especially with iems there are too many variables. I respect the reviewers and I usually appreciate the time they spend to test new iems but reading something like 'hearing the cl2 is like hearing through a blanket' or 'hd650 are an example of neutral headphones' make me question them a bit..:) Also, when a reviewer come and instead of respecting other people opinions accuse them to be paid by rha..well..

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,193 of 3,158
2) Their sound also changes quite a lot with different tips and insertion depth. You probably will need to play around with it until you find what works for you. Even if it seems like a too gives you a good deal, another tip may sound better to your ears
Cane we have this pinned on this thread?
Highlighted comment.
@RHA Team should really consider adding this to their manual in neon highlights. :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,194 of 3,158
I learned to only trust my ears. Especially with iems there are too many variables. I respect the reviewers and I usually appreciate the time they spend to test new iems but reading something like 'hearing the cl2 is like hearing through a blanket' or 'hd650 are an example of neutral headphones' make me question them a bit..:) Also, when a reviewer come and instead of respecting other people opinions accuse them to be paid by rha..well..
That blanket quote got me too. And then he gave it 3.5 stars.
If an iem sounded like it had vocals covered by a blanket. I would give it zero stars. And Instead of mailing them to the next victim, I would flush them down the toilet :)
Who in their right mind would pay 900 dollars for an iem which had muffled vocals?
And the irony is, these are some of the best vocals i have ever heard on any iem.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,195 of 3,158
Jesus, I am away for two days and the thread hits puberty... The last few pages are not so nice to read. Guys - I am not calling out individual people - relax and keep the conversation decent. There's no need to go half paranoid and make big assumptions about what member x or member so-and-so thinks and why he or she did this and that. It ammounts to nothing except creating a tense atmosphere.

And NO, I won't even post my order confirmation. I am confident enough to not let the discussion go in such directions. If someone suspects me of whatever without proof, I accept that and move on. Let it be, let it be...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,196 of 3,158
I don't think this is a conversation that should be private.
@Spandy87 is accusing me, and everyone else on here of being a mass shill.
Our impressions seem fishy, and to him it seems like we all might be on RHA's payroll.
This conversation should be had in this open forum, not in private messages.
People's hard earned money is at stake.

Okay now you're just outright lying. I specifically said I wasn't accusing you of that, just that it looked suspicious. I'm sorry I'm not involving myself in this thread anymore. There's too much of this kind of stuff going on in here. Good luck with the IEMs, enjoy.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,197 of 3,158
Okay now you're just outright lying. I specifically said I wasn't accusing you of that, just that it looked suspicious. I'm sorry I'm not involving myself in this thread anymore. There's too much of this kind of stuff going on in here. Good luck with the IEMs, enjoy.
I posted your messages.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,198 of 3,158
I posted your messages.

Didn't post this one:

twwOCQ5.jpg

Again, it's this kind of behavior that just makes me question your motives. I said one thing I didn't like about the CL2 and it seems like you're ready to go to the ends of the earth to discredit me. You should have posted all of it, rather than cherry pick a few that you liked.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,200 of 3,158
@Spandy87
So let me get this straight.
You make a video, where you are more than implying that something fishy is going on with this thread. (Everyone can watch it)
You use words like "dubious" to describe several people's impressions of this iem on this thread.
Then you send me a PM saying to you it looks like I am shilling. I offer other people's posts as evidence to counter that claim, and point to very recent impressions, and you tell me mass shilling is very common.
Then you say you will withhold judgement, and are not accusing me.
Did I miss something?
If you think I, or other people with favorable opinions on the CL2 are shilling.
Say it.
Don't say it, and then backtrack.
That is a conversation worth having, not this high school he said she said.
This is boring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back