Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #827 of 3,158
How would you compare this with your AKt81e? The xelento is another one I really have to try out. Gonna grab that for my sister's birthday in May.
Well, there is a question!

So, I've just swapped out the **** cable from the CL2 to the AK T8ie mkII (which has a better treble / upper midrange IMO than the Xelento, which sounds to me a bit metallic), and frankly after two weeks of CL2 only, going back - the AKs sound quite anaemic, with a brighter treble (I'd rather say it is harsher), much thinner mids, and a bass that whilst still good by general standards sounds quite "budget" compared to the CL2 - Listening to Simon and Garfunkel - "Richard Cory", the bass guitar on the right channel just blatantly doesn't sound right... Arguably, the T8ue has a better soundstage, but to me doing a direct comparison to the CL2 is actually caused by the overall thinness of the sound on the AKs

Long story short, for exactly the same price, the holes in the T8ie / Xelento sound really do mean that they are outclassed by the identically priced CL2 (oh, and much more subjective, however - the fit is much better on the CL2, just everything appears more correct to me)...

Listening to the two side by side, the nearest analogy I can give here is that the AK T8ie mkII is to LCD as the CL2 is to OLED.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #828 of 3,158
Well, there is a question!

So, I've just swapped out the **** cable from the CL2 to the AK T8ie mkII (which has a better treble / upper midrange IMO than the Xelento, which sounds to me a bit metallic), and frankly after two weeks of CL2 only, going back - the AKs sound quite anaemic, with a brighter treble (I'd rather say it is harsher), much thinner mids, and a bass that whilst still good by general standards sounds quite "budget" compared to the CL2 - Listening to Simon and Garfunkel - "Richard Cory", the bass guitar on the right channel just blatantly doesn't sound right... Arguably, the T8ue has a better soundstage, but to me doing a direct comparison to the CL2 is actually caused by the overall thinness of the sound on the AKs

Long story short, for exactly the same price, the holes in the T8ie / Xelento sound really do mean that they are outclassed by the identically priced CL2 (oh, and much more subjective, however - the fit is much better on the CL2, just everything appears more correct to me)...

Listening to the two side by side, the nearest analogy I can give here is that the AK T8ie mkII is to LCD as the CL2 is to OLED.
Didn't expect that. But not surprised either, the CL2 is a beast :)
Thanks for the breakdown.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #829 of 3,158
I have been playing pink noise and tone sweeps through the CL2 the last 3 nights. And unless I am completely hallucinating, or suffering from an expectation bias, these have opened up even more, and the sound is simply breathtaking.
Every time I think the sound has fully matured, these take another step upwards.
400 hours in.
To me an easy S class iem. For 900 dollars, a complete steal.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #830 of 3,158
I have been playing pink noise and tone sweeps through the CL2 the last 3 nights. And unless I am completely hallucinating, or suffering from an expectation bias, these have opened up even more, and the sound is simply breathtaking.
Every time I think the sound has fully matured, these take another step upwards.
400 hours in.
To me an easy S class iem. For 900 dollars, a complete steal.
For me, I don’t use pink noise, I just listen a lot louder than I probably should (85 on high gain is my defacto volume - up to 100 depending on the music / album on the Sony 1A)... I agree that they are improving...

I have nowhere near the hours you have, however the highs are definitely opening up, and the mids have calmed down nicely...

Some of the tracks I initially condemned these for are now sounding better than on my T8ie mkII! :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #831 of 3,158
I definitely agree that those require much more burn in than I thought, they do get better indeed!

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #833 of 3,158
Has anyone used a pure silver cable with these?

Nope but based on audition with other IEMs (as it was a 2 pin cable) I imagine Effect Audio Thor II would be magnificent with the CL2... quite a budget though...

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #834 of 3,158
I definitely agree that those require much more burn in than I thought, they do get better indeed!

Indeed. I just got these in and off the bat my ears found them too bright. I was distraught, because I auditioned them at IFA and fell in love. After a bit of burn in they're starting to even out, and I'm starting to hear the excellence.

Did you have a similar experience?

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #835 of 3,158
Indeed. I just got these in and off the bat my ears found them too bright. I was distraught, because I auditioned them at IFA and fell in love. After a bit of burn in they're starting to even out, and I'm starting to hear the excellence.

Did you have a similar experience?
Oh yes. These take a long time to reach peak sound.
I am at 400 hours, and these are still getting better.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #836 of 3,158
Nope but based on audition with other IEMs (as it was a 2 pin cable) I imagine Effect Audio Thor II would be magnificent with the CL2... quite a budget though...
I am thinking of getting an ALO Pure silver cable.
Have to admit , the copper cable is growing on me, gonna give a 40 hour burn, and if it's not a clear cut favorite, gonna trade it in for a pure silver one.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #837 of 3,158
Oh yes. These take a long time to reach peak sound.
I am at 400 hours, and these are still getting better.

Cool, thx for the confirmation. I was worried, lol.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #839 of 3,158
An absolute killer rec for this thread. If you are looking for an IEM to permanently pair with the CL2 Bluetooth dongle, that will completely blow your socks away.
BGVP DM6.
What a perfect combination.
Still have a hard time believing how good this sounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back