Introducing Audio-Technica's ATH-W1000X
Nov 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #61 of 292
I'll try and get into the city on the weekend and see if the local Best Denki has them, as they have a proper listening station with the high-end ATs, Denons and Sony and some serious gear to power them (eg: Luxman P-1u).

If anyone REALLY wants a pair, and is ok with me borrowing them for a couple of weeks first, PM me. I'd love to have an extended listen to a pair, but can't justify buying any more headphones outright at the moment.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #63 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by erixon.lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got back from Japan. I saw these advertised. I just bought my w1000's while I was there. The w1000x were a bit(a lot) out of my price range... They're pretty though...

any chance you got to audition them and give us some SQ review?
btw, congrats on the W1000.
will be heading to Japan after Xmas and thinking getting either W1000 or W1000X (if I don't have the infamous "fit" problem & like the SQ )
if you don't mind me asking, what was the price difference between the two? like you cost will be a significant factor in the decision
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #64 of 292
Looking forward to this. I am so tempted by ATH-W5000 now!!!! Would really like some comparison between W5000,W1000,W1000x,A2000x
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #66 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the W1000Xs on my head for about five minutes today.

They are indeed quite handsome, definitely worthy of the AT woodie line-up in terms of looks. They are fairly light as well and seem to be designed fit-wise a little closer to the new A2000X rather than the old W1000s. Not a good thing in my book. The pads are basically like donuts, similar to the A2000Xs and just do not feel like they get a good seal. Also, it does not take much movement to get them to slide out of position- a little too loose fitting to me. I really liked the fit of the old W1000s, these not too much.

This is a bit disappointing. I was hoping that their new generation of W-series would be tighter clamping. My W5000 is OK and doesn't really bother me, but I was hoping that AT would improve on this. The lacquered look is very nice however, and I like that they have returned to adding wood onto the plug as well.

This being said, now I wonder if/when a W5000x (or L3000x) will come out soon. My wallet probably wouldn't appreciate either though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #67 of 292
has anayone already get this "CAN"

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #68 of 292
Very nice headphones ! I hope I win at the lottery to get them !

Hope there is a review soon, want to see how it compares against other woodies.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #69 of 292
I just came back from a visit from Japan and made a stop at Ishimaru in Akihabara and was in headphone heaven. I listened to the W1000X and they are great sounding headphones and are very light and the fit was good for me. Sound wise they had good bass flavor and the highs were clear and no sibilance notes, they sounded a bit boxed in to me on the mid-range, probably because it was very loud in the store and I am not accustomed to closed cans. The cups are pretty on the 1000X but compared to the older AT woodies, I prefer the latter because of the darker stained wood.

I stayed in the store for over an hour swapping headphones from Denon, Senns, JVC, Beyers and Stax. From this visit a pair of Stax is on my wish list, I heard the O2 MkII with a 717 and they were a dream to listen to and wear. I also listened to the 404 LE with the new limited 600 amp, Stax are so clear sounding that I was dumb struck. The ES10 were also there and I compared them to the 10JPN's, fit and build wise the the 10's beat out the JPN's but I liked the JPN's sound better which were more neutral. If AT can resurrect the JPN's into the new 10 build, I would be sold. I also like the look of the JPN's vs the 10's Ti metal cups.

Sorry I can't be more specific on sound characteristics but I will be on the hunt for a pair of Stax to add to the stable.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #71 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, you've tried Stax. Now you're done for.
wink.gif

LOL. If the US $ was not so weak against the JPN ¥, I would have walked out with an electrostat rig.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #72 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just came back from a visit from Japan and made a stop at Ishimaru in Akihabara and was in headphone heaven. I listened to the W1000X and they are great sounding headphones and are very light and the fit was good for me. Sound wise they had good bass flavor and the highs were clear and no sibilance notes, they sounded a bit boxed in to me on the mid-range, probably because it was very loud in the store and I am not accustomed to closed cans. The cups are pretty on the 1000X but compared to the older AT woodies, I prefer the latter because of the darker stained wood.

I stayed in the store for over an hour swapping headphones from Denon, Senns, JVC, Beyers and Stax. From this visit a pair of Stax is on my wish list, I heard the O2 MkII with a 717 and they were a dream to listen to and wear. I also listened to the 404 LE with the new limited 600 amp, Stax are so clear sounding that I was dumb struck. The ES10 were also there and I compared them to the 10JPN's, fit and build wise the the 10's beat out the JPN's but I liked the JPN's sound better which were more neutral. If AT can resurrect the JPN's into the new 10 build, I would be sold. I also like the look of the JPN's vs the 10's Ti metal cups.

Sorry I can't be more specific on sound characteristics but I will be on the hunt for a pair of Stax to add to the stable.

glad to hear the w1000x sounds nice! really look forward to hearing them and hope they will fit well..
as for 10's in the pictures their headband does look sturdier than the JPNs. at least thats the impression I had looking at the pics. as for the sound, at least they are trying to improve and come up with new phones in their portable HP series. Also I'm sort of glad that the JPNs are better sounding (from a few impressions here on the thread). it gives one piece of mind when shelling out the dough for special edition, knowing that you they are not going to turn around an introduce a better sounding HP within 6months ~ 1 year within the same line of HPs. Seems like with ATs the special edition is not just cosmetic but also with its drivers (SQ).

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #73 of 292
I'll spare the dedicated AT fans wading through my waffle and summarise them thus: Imagine W1000s with more treble, or W5000s with much more bass and a bit more treble, but still with the forward mids that are the AT sound signature. Both were on the table too so I could compare them, but I didn't do so comprehensively, but only enough to get the primary tonal differences.
I finally managed to get a few hours to myself to head into the city, have a relaxing lunch and try out the W1000X in the Best Denki, which has a high-end headphone listening table. When I arrived, they were plugged into the AT-HA2002 and sourced from a Sony SACD player. I didn't note the model as I've become a source snob and consider just about anything sigma-delta to sound harsh and digital. Ignoring the inevitable fact that my the classical tracks on the CD I brought with me were going to annoy me in that regard, as well as a lack of familiarity with AT amps, I concentrated on what I could of the sound.

What AT seem to have done is merge the new X frame and pads with the W1000 cups to produce an interesting hybrid that fixes most of everything that annoys me about the different ATs in sound, while adding the annoying fit of the X range. In short, they are good if you have a big head and will dig in under your ears and not seal if you have a small head, requiring either some brutal and irreversible bending of the arcs, or some careful re-shaping to get a good seal. Unlike the A1000X and A2000X, however, you don't feel a need to push the cups inwards to get enough bass, as, hallelujah, they have BASS, and a serious whack of it at that. Rounding up the design, the cable is the same soft rubber OCCC cable of the other X series, but terminated with the funky wood plug you see on AT's woodies.

Shotgun summary for those familiar with ATs already: Imagine W1000s with more treble, or W5000s with much more (possibly Denon-level, but better quality) bass and a bit more treble, but still with the forward mids and the drop in the upper mids/lower treble that is the AT sound signature. Both were on the table too so I could compare them, but I didn't do so comprehensively, but enough to get the primary tonal differences. I admit I'm probably not that great at quickly determining some of the other abilities, such as speed, with headphones and really need some time with them at home.

What struck me most is that is that because of the very forward mids, they will be somewhat annoying to listen with using poor equipment. For me, I hate mids so forward, as it makes a lot of music sound tinny, as well as making the headstage seem much smaller. However, with the W1000X there is a lot more treble and a lot more bass than what I'm used to hearing from an AT. The A2000X to me, for this reason, sound like they are all over the place, in the wrong places tonally, in a somewhat similar way the HD-650s do to me, excepting that the HD-650s have much more bass. I think the W1000X would rock balanced on my smoother-than-a-baby's bum rig, but I'd still wish for slightly less forward mids and a bit more in the upper-mids -- around 6.3k where people find the HD-800s annoying. The Headroom graph below (for the W5000) shows it well. They are though, for me almost there tonally otherwise. If you don't want all that "LETS PARTY!" bass, but want more treble than the W5000s, there is always the A2000X. Pity about the poor fit though.

graphCompare.php

Here are the notes I made on my iPhone while listening, cleaned up so they make some kind of vague sense:

Busted (dZihan & Kamien): Good bass punch. AT vague upper mids show here.
Monsoon (Jack Johnson): The deeper bass comes through clearly along with some mid bass.
2nd choice (Marti Jones) sounds rather tinny because of the forward mids.
Tin Pan Alley (Stevie Ray Vaughan) bass comes through strongly and sounds glorious because the mids are mostly all guitar and Steve doesn't sing so close to the mic.
Serves Me Right to Suffer (John Lee Hooker) sounds rather boomy.
Chopin's Berceuse in Des-Dur, op. 57 (Vladimir Ashkenazy): Badly recorded Chopin that has glare (?) is irritating, emphasizing the effect of the mic being possibly too close to the piano and digititis in the source. Ditto classical and jazz.
The Body Acoustic (David Chesky) fares better with more space around the instruments.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #74 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I finally managed to get a few hours to myself to head into the city, have a relaxing lunch and try out the W1000X in the Best Denki, which has a high-end headphone listening table. When I arrived, they were plugged into the AT-HA2002 and sourced from a Sony SACD player. I didn't note the model as I've become a source snob and consider just about anything sigma-delta to sound harsh and digital. Ignoring the inevitable fact that my the classical tracks on the CD I brought with me were going to annoy me in that regard, as well as a lack of familiarity with AT amps, I concentrated on what I could of the sound.

What AT seem to have done is merge the new X frame and pads with the W1000 cups to produce an interesting hybrid that fixes most of everything that annoys me about the different ATs in sound, while adding the annoying fit of the X range. In short, they are good if you have a big head and will dig in under your ears and not seal if you have a small head, requiring either some brutal and irreversible bending of the arcs, or some careful re-shaping to get a good seal. Unlike the A1000X and A2000X, however, you don't feel a need to push the cups inwards to get enough bass, as, hallelujah, they have BASS, and a serious whack of it at that.

I'll spare the dedicated AT fans wading through my waffle and summarise them thus: Imagine W1000s with more treble, or W5000s with much more bass and a bit more treble, but still with the forward mids that are the AT sound signature. Both were on the table too so I could compare them, but I didn't do so comprehensively, but only enough to get the primary tonal differences.

For me, I hate mids so forward, as it makes a lot of music sound tinny, as well as making the headstage seem much smaller. However, with the W1000X there is a lot more treble and a lot more bass than what I'm used to hearing from an AT. Imagine AT made a Denon D5000 and you get the idea. Unlike the D5000, I'd say it's not quite so boomy and certainly doesn't reverberate the headphones at my listening levels.

While I was listening, I took some notes on my iPhone:

Busted (dZihan & Kamien): Good bass punch. AT vague upper mids show here.
Monsoon (Jack Johnson): deep bass with some mid bass.
2nd choice (Marti Jones) sounds rather tinny because of the forward mids.
Tin Pan Alley (Stevie Ray Vaughan) bass comes through strongly and sounds glorious because the mids are mostly all guitar and Steve doesn't sing so close to the mic.
Serves Me Right to Suffer (John Lee Hooker) sounds rather boomy.
Chopin's Berceuse in Des-Dur, op. 57 (Vladimir Ashkenazy): Badly recorded Chopin that has glare is irritating, emphasizing close-mic recordings and digititis in the source. Ditto classical and jazz.
The Body Acoustic (David Chesky) fares better with more space around the instruments.

What struck me really at the end of all that is that because of the very forward mids, they will be somewhat annoying to listen with using poor equipment. I think they'd rock balanced on my smoother-than-a-baby's bum rig, but I'd still wish for slightly less forward mids and a bit more in the upper-mids -- around 6.3k where people find the HD-800s annoying. They are though, for me almost there tonally. If you don't want all that LETS PARTY bass, but want more treble than the W5000s, there is always the A2000X. Pity about the poor fit.

I'm being dragged off the computer by HF-2 baby (see profile) so I'll tweak this post some more later.

Interesting. I missed the only day i could audition the W1000x here, i suppose its balanced sounding, like Shure SRH840? Not saying they're in the same league tho.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #75 of 292
I wouldn't call it balanced sounding at all, not with so much bass and, to me, mutant mids. By the way, I completely re-formatted and fixed up my very first-draft post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back