INTRO to Electrostats -- Placed my first STAX order!!!!! *PICS*
Jul 14, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 70
I've been waiting to post until I've listened for at least three days and a number of hours and all I can say is that I am humbled by the Stax.  I listened to the Stax 404 w/the amp mentioned and I don't want to go off the deep end here but let me say....I haven't heard HIFI until now...I'm humbled by the detail, isolation, separation and sonic reproduction.  Let me just say that I am picking out where the instruments are coming from in thin air....these things are unreal....I am not foolin' when I tell you....they're on another level than any dynamic I've heard....gotta get back to listening....these Earspeakers are my drug of choice!!

Good Lord above!!!

Can I say that the head-fi community is doing a huge disservice by not noting the fact that the Stax are killers!!!  I don't read much about them and it makes me pause and wonder why the *&(^)*^& I don't??

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #17 of 70

Quote:
Can I say that the head-fi community is doing a huge disservice by not noting the fact that the Stax are killers!!!  I don't read much about them and it makes me pause and wonder why the *&(^)*^& I don't??

Same thought I had when I got my Stax rig!

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 70
Great starter rig. Congratulations! :lambda:

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 70
Amen Brothers!!....Just for kicks and after the three days of only listening to the Stax, I put on my HD800s.....well....yuck!!....I think I'm ruined!! ... or ... spoiled....I just am confused!!  I've stated so many accolades to the HD800s and well....I'm dumbfounded by the level of reproduction by the Stax.....I'm in friggin' awe and, as stated before, humbled....these things bring tears to my eyes....tell me....please tell me....it doesn't get better than this!!!

What they do is this...I'm hearing each instrument broken out holographically and left to right / back to front separations....the drum is dead center, cymbals l and r, etc....magical!

So many shows in which I've heard reviews....so many opinions on head-fi I've read...how, please tell me, how could I be the only one to hear this?....It's as if I'm in the studio with the recording artists?....it's friggin' religious!!

WAV files(lossless) via cds on ipod -> wadia -> Blue Jean SPDIF cable -> Benchmark DAC1 USB -> Blue Jean XLR out/IN -> Stax 006TII -> Stax 404 = MAGIC!!!

I'm in tears and I'm outta here and I'm humbled with head hung low and heart full of the thrill of, for the first time, really hearing the artists....good Lord, life is good and thanks to all from that gigantic Stax thread...I feel like Moses coming down from the mountain after speaking to the burning bush....

....and.....

....if not for head-fi.....I would not know the satisfaction of this experience.

Thank You

disclaimer: lousy recording = really lousy reproduction

FYI: Gomez, Bring It On, Pick a song = friggin' religious experience akin to hallucinogenics!!(not that I'd know what that's like but I can imagine.)

Adjectives to explain my experience: Clarity, separation, imaging, depth, transparency, lack of bass--> NO!!  , faithful reproduction -> absolutely , effortless as stated by the masters of head-fi, bliss, and satisfaction!!

krmathis, thanks for all of your wisdom.  hifidk, you're a straight shooter.  Perhaps my experience will be explained away as a fanboyism or as such but to those who have taken the time to read this....do yourselves a favor and, if it is faithful "Hifi" reproduction you seek...perhaps you owe it to yourself to try a STAX!!

The level of sophistication is so evident...though it should be known that it takes me at least 30 minutes of energizing before I reach the levels of sound that are magical.

Now, I gotta listen to more of my material...every album sounds new!

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #20 of 70
sure it gets better than this. next try 404LE then go to SR007 or Omega or HE60 then He90. SR007 driven by a capable amp (at least KGSS)  can be considered as one pinnacle of head-fi, one of the way to end the headfi journey

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 70
Time to upgrade
smile_phones.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #23 of 70
I will resist the upgraditis and have a long term relationship now with my current inventory....after all, I've just begun to realize what these headphones can do, I've got so much more critical listening to do....I'm really having fun going back over my catalogue and listening over again...gotta pick up some pink floyd...dark side of the moon, etc.

hifidk, that some stax system I see in your sig....717 -> sr-007 omega II....wow...I can only imagine....we have some things in common(benchmark dac1)....also, you have the Apache...WOW!

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #24 of 70

Quote:
I will resist the upgraditis and have a long term relationship now with my current inventory....after all, I've just begun to realize what these headphones can do, I've got so much more critical listening to do....I'm really having fun going back over my catalogue and listening over again...gotta pick up some pink floyd...dark side of the moon, etc.

hifidk, that some stax system I see in your sig....717 -> sr-007 omega II....wow...I can only imagine....we have some things in common(benchmark dac1)....also, you have the Apache...WOW!

I am pretty happy about O2 and 717. I have heard O2 deserves better amp so I don't know if what I am hearing is the best O2 can do. Just like you, I am trying to resist the upgraditis. Apache is getting sold although I will probably keep HD800.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 70
Congrats on your Stax!  

I just recently joined the Stax mafia earlier when I decided to pass go and go straight to the SR007's.  Right now I'm slowly building a system that's worthy of it!  I'm currently using an adapter modded by Spritzer that prince of Stax off a receiver.  Looking to build up the rest of my chain.  It's a little frustrating knowing how under-served these cans are.  But seeing the sticker price on the gear needed to run these properly has made me worker harder, so hey, good things do happen from this hobby 
o2smile.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #29 of 70

Quote:
Look for some vintage stax or the SRS-2050 system - fantastic value =D

what sorta damage am I looking at? lol

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 70

Quote:
what sorta damage am I looking at? lol

Quote:
forbigger said:

mochan, bite your bullet. Once a while Koss ESP950 system appear used at around 400-ish, this is a fine system. At the moment there's a 404 sig with srm300 amp goes on sale for 650, this is mid tier stats (at least for the headphone) or you could easily get a vintage stats set (usually lambda with driver, not amp) for around 200-300ish.

This sounds just about right.

A new SRS-2050 system (SR-202 headphones + SRM-252 amp) will cost you about 500USD shipped to Australia. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back