Interview with Noel Lee, "Head Monster" of Monster Products - Head-Fi TV
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

You get a small container of polish and a polishing cloth with the Diamond Tears. Nice added touch. And DT is possibly the most balanced headphone in it's price range.

Hrm, so maybe they've planned for that contingency (but do they stick you for replacement polish/cloths? I mean this *is* still Monster). And at $300 there's quite a few good options - you'd really say it's more balanced than the 701, ESW9, K550, A900X, etc? I'm honestly curious btw, not trying to fuss.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #34 of 82
I wonder when this was recorded.  It coincides with the recent gizmodo article http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world
Didn't Monster unveil Diamond Tears and Inspiration almost a whole year ago in CES 2012, and their break-up with Beats was around that time too?

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #36 of 82
Quote:
The tilt-shift effect on Jude's intro makes it almost impossible for me to take this video seriously, or at least sit through it without laughing...

The appearance in the intro is not from the use of a tilt-shift lens, but simply a 35mm lens set at f/2.0 on a DSLR with a full-frame sensor. The use of a large aperture combined with a large sensor result in a thin depth of focus. We're going to try any number of different things as we make more videos, so I'm sure we'll give you plenty of reasons to be disparaging again in the future.

I wonder when this was recorded.  It coincides with the recent gizmodo article http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world
Didn't Monster unveil Diamond Tears and Inspiration almost a whole year ago in CES 2012, and their break-up with Beats was around that time too?

Quote:
I thought I read this was recorded around CES 2012...can't find it in the OP though. 
redface.gif

The interview was recorded some time during the summer (I can't remember exactly when without consulting my calendar). Though the Diamond Tears and Inspiration were indeed introduced a year ago at CES 2012, some of the newer models (like the Diamond Tears) were not really widely available until around the time of the interview.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

You get a small container of polish and a polishing cloth with the Diamond Tears. Nice added touch. And DT is possibly the most balanced headphone in it's price range.

xD nice... but don't think the DT are the most balanced headphone in the $300 price range lol... I mean yes to each sound is subjective but :3 monster won't b making a truely "balanced"  can for a while... because I really doubt the people buying Monster Products are looking for "balanced" sounds... I've demo'd a number of thier products.

Still, maybe the future will look ahead for monster! But those are nice looking cans... a litttle to goady though xD

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #40 of 82
Quote:
Hrm, so maybe they've planned for that contingency (but do they stick you for replacement polish/cloths? I mean this *is* still Monster). And at $300 there's quite a few good options - you'd really say it's more balanced than the 701, ESW9, K550, A900X, etc? I'm honestly curious btw, not trying to fuss.

It may not sound as good overall as some of the others to some people, but when you listen to the DT you don't hear any distracting balance problems (i.e. lack of bass, too much bass, midbass hump, brightness, rolled off treble, sunken mids). We also have to keep in mind that the DT does this in a small compact soundstage area compared to the larger 'phones. But if a headphone can give you a convincing sense of balance and reasonable clarity, I am willing to give up some of the hi-fi thrills.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #41 of 82
It may not sound as good overall as some of the others to some people, but when you listen to the DT you don't hear any distracting balance problems (i.e. lack of bass, too much bass, midbass hump, brightness, rolled off treble, sunken mids). We also have to keep in mind that the DT does this in a small compact soundstage area compared to the larger 'phones. But if a headphone can give you a convincing sense of balance and reasonable clarity, I am willing to give up some of the hi-fi thrills.

See, this makes me interested in them - in spite of their looks. Have you heard the ESW9 by chance?

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #42 of 82
Quote:
Try this story, then:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123869022704882969.html

Lawl, I wish I had read that sooner. Good work Monster, now another person has ANOTHER reason not to like your company! 
Quote:

maybe, but it's the little details that make the jump from low fi to mid fi worth it! There are some sub $100 cans that are very Balanced! Heck I happen to REALLY like teh koss Dj Pro 200 [$120 or so] It's VERY balanced. Really nice sounding! That being said there are DT 770 250 ohms that sound balanced as well.

So for $300 balanced isn't much of anything really. More of a joke really to even mention balance as a strong point, unless it has balance + the thrills of a mid fi can! Like my Sub $300 dt 880 pro 250 ohm. Great bass, nice airy highs, mids are warm [needs a tube for sexy mids] not to mention comfy and beautiful! I doubt the DT is as balanced as the dt 880 OR has even half the perks it has... seriously... Monster sells GOOD LOOK cans, sound is second [hopefully] to looks. Which is fine with me because there is a market for BAD sounding good looking cans I guess ;3. 

While we r on the subject of sound stage and size, the DT 1350 [$300] is also very balanced... more so than the Diamond Tears I'm sure [haha both r DT xD] still... I wish monster the best and I hope they imporve thier sound quality

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #43 of 82
Quote:
See, this makes me interested in them - in spite of their looks. Have you heard the ESW9 by chance?

This one? No I haven't. Do you recommend it? I was curious about it for the last year or so but never pulled the trigger on them. I assume it has a nice tonal and FR balance?
41EnBp1vYeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #44 of 82
Quote:
This one? No I haven't. Do you recommend it? I was curious about it for the last year or so but never pulled the trigger on them. I assume it has a nice tonal and FR balance?
41EnBp1vYeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no but those proably sound better [and I really think the look better] than the Dimond Tears as well

but I meant Byer dt 1350 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back