Internet Dating?
Mar 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #31 of 101
Hey Im not talking about you guys personally. It works for some people. But I guess Imilhan has hit the nail on the head better than I did. It is close to half of ALL marriages that fail. I guess people nowadays just arent respecting the sacredness of the vows. Till DEATH DO US PART. But thats kind of scary because then if they are really devoted you find yourself the target of assasination.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #32 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woman are people? Could have fooled me?

LOL joking (puts on flame suit).

Anyways.. Ill bet half of these internet marriages end up in divorce in less than 10 years.

Don't most marriages end in divorce in 10 years anyway?

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #34 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
marriage is overrated

Love em and leave em, that's what I say

[size=xx-small](joke)[/size]

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #35 of 101
Quote:

Hey Im not talking about you guys personally. It works for some people. But I guess Imilhan has hit the nail on the head better than I did. It is close to half of ALL marriages that fail. I guess people nowadays just arent respecting the sacredness of the vows. Till DEATH DO US PART. But thats kind of scary because then if they are really devoted you find yourself the target of assasination.

In some places like L.A. it 3/4 of marriages end in divorce. When I see stuff like that I must accept that I'm on the divorce side of that equation. I probably shouldn't get married.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Woman are people? Could have fooled me?

LOL joking (puts on flame suit).

Anyways.. Ill bet half of these internet marriages end up in divorce in less than 10 years.

You can say that about most marriages.. The divorce rate is sky high..People are people.. How can you say people who meet online & ger married are more likly to get a divorce? Is there a study on this?

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #37 of 101
The internet dating is very stupid thing for me....
You never know your partner truly unless you actually meet him/her.

my 2 cents.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather offensive, jeez. How do you possibly know, or have the right to judge someone's story, or what mistakes they've made? Are you perfect? And yet, for as many men who brag about the notches in their bedposts, they must all be sleeping with the same girl, right? The minute you see a woman as a person like yourself is when you're ready to be in a real relationship. How unlucky for you if she turns out to have a kid. What will you do? Deny something wonderful, and be alone with your standards?

I think playing the field with single moms is a bad idea because she has to provide a stable home for her child. If you're not prepared to explore that idea, then stay the fark away and don't string her and the child along.

But as for your reasoning, two thumbs down.

When should you 'judge' someone.. My Friends GF's son been in & out of jail, has 5 kids from 5 different women, beats his GF's & pimps them out.. Should I jut wipe his slate clean & ingore his checkered past cause I shouldn't judge him..? My friend did that & he threatened to cut off a kittens head with a knife.. Had knife & cat in hand.. Sorry for the thread 'jacking'.. I just know the previous poster likes to throw the word judging around..

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internet dating is very stupid thing for me....
You never know your partner truly unless you actually meet him/her.

my 2 cents.

That is shallow thinking, but the point is well taken.. You just meet online & if you click you meet inperson.. Don't know why that would be stupid for you..People are people no matter where you meet them..Store..Street..On the phone..Bar..Church.. etc.. But because it's online it's all of a sudden weird.. & only weird & crazy people do that sort of thing..
orphsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #40 of 101
Quote:

2/3 of my marriages ended up in divorce in less than 10 years. I have never done any online dating.
I've been considering doing the online dating thing. I don't like bars, and my work schedule is so erratic that I hesitate to find some social group to join. Plus, I live in a small town and there isn't that much going on here.

I don't have any problems dating a lady with kids, and I have no plans of marrying. All the ladies in my age group have kids. I just look for one whose kids are the same age as my own. ...................... late 20's
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 101
online dating is so awesome. Nothing like spending 45-60 dollars a month to meet a wacked out really weird girl if your lucky. You get a good look at thier picture, think they are so awesome, yet when you meet them in person, your lucky enough to find out they have a snaggle tooth, or maybe, just maybe she might have a panic attack in front of you? Happy times. Atleast you got to spend a week of time on the phone with her first, and so lucky enough to buy a $100 dollar dinner. Alll good stuff to do with a stranger.

Women are horrible beasts No one really wants a girlfriend when they do online dating. It's an act of desperation. Women who do online dating meanwhile are just try to indulge their vanity by finding these hopeless fools who send them dozen of messages just and pick and chose the ones who are good enough to stroke their ego before the indecisive lady decides that internet dating is just really, too weird for her also.

(just a joke... maybe)

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 101
A good friend of mine is a research economist who studies the labor market. It turns out that the factors governing a person's satisfaction in a job are similar to the factors that govern a person's satisfaction in a relationship. Simply put--a rational person would leave a job when the costs are greater than the rewards. People do this all the time. Likewise, a rational person should search for a relationship that will have more rewards than costs.

Following this logic, there are a few consequences:
0) one can't assume people are always rational
1) there is a cost to switching relationships, so it pays to get it right as soon as possible
2) you are unlikely to enter a relationship with someone you have never met...therefore in order to find the best relationship, you should meet as many people as possible, or be lucky
3) if rewards >> costs, maybe it is worth having a job/relationship for a longer time, versus holding out for somethign that is slightly more optimal

I came across this website (below) when I was Googling for interesting info. It will calculate, from a statistical distribution based on census data, how many people you should meet to ensure you find ONE person who simultaneously satisfies all your criteria, in your geographical area (at least in the USA) [I have no affiliation with the site, just found it interesting]

http://www.solvedating.com/soulmatecalculator.asp

(Note, most of these distributions are normalized about the mean, so picking 10% is equivalent to picking 90%)

Haha...also...it should go without saying that just because you might be able to meet a million people and FIND your soulmate...that doesn't ensure you're able to attract them and close the deal :wink:

The easiest way to maximize your search space is to give internet dating a try. Everyone I know who has given it an honest go has learned something important about themselves and what/who they want; five have met a husband/wife, several are still dating, and one even met a cool gal who later set me up with her best friend...

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2/3 of my marriages ended up in divorce in less than 10 years. I have never done any online dating.
I've been considering doing the online dating thing. I don't like bars, and my work schedule is so erratic that I hesitate to find some social group to join. Plus, I live in a small town and there isn't that much going on here.

I don't have any problems dating a lady with kids, and I have no plans of marrying. All the ladies in my age group have kids. I just look for one whose kids are the same age as my own. ...................... late 20's
tongue.gif

Yea! now that's the spirit, go out there, meet some ladies and report to us how it went. Us married folk have to entertain ourselves somehow.
wink.gif

My only recommendation is not to expect much from any date, just look at it like a way to kill a boring evening. Meeting someone new is better than sitting at home doing nothing. Don't expect to have a connection made in heaven but don't discard the possibility that it may happen. You never know what could happen until you try... have fun and good luck!
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
online dating is so awesome. Nothing like spending 45-60 dollars a month to meet a wacked out really weird girl if your lucky. You get a good look at thier picture, think they are so awesome, yet when you meet them in person, your lucky enough to find out they have a snaggle tooth, or maybe, just maybe she might have a panic attack in front of you? Happy times. Atleast you got to spend a week of time on the phone with her first, and so lucky enough to buy a $100 dollar dinner. Alll good stuff to do with a stranger.

Women are horrible beasts No one really wants a girlfriend when they do online dating. It's an act of desperation. Women who do online dating meanwhile are just try to indulge their vanity by finding these hopeless fools who send them dozen of messages just and pick and chose the ones who are good enough to stroke their ego before the indecisive lady decides that internet dating is just really, too weird for her also.

(just a joke... maybe)

Are you joking, are you serious? doesn't matter. I still want to point out that your grim outlook is erroneous. Online dating is not for desperate people.
I had an active social life in my early 20's and I still met people online just for fun. I met lots of guys at school, work, parties, concerts, clubs and even at church. I lived at the beach and knew lots of attractive guys, many of them my friends but I found no love until I met my husband online.

The other point I want to make is that you shouldn't be spending $100 on a stranger, no matter where you meet... (sucker, lol)
After exchanging a few emails with pics, you meet the girl for coffee. Do you have $5 to spend on your social life? maybe you prefer to sit here reading headfi, making your butt take the same shape as your chair. rofl
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea! now that's the spirit, go out there, meet some ladies and report to us how it went. Us married folk have to entertain ourselves somehow.
wink.gif

My only recommendation is not to expect much from any date, just look at it like a way to kill a boring evening. Meeting someone new is better than sitting at home doing nothing. Don't expect to have a connection made in heaven but don't discard the possibility that it may happen. You never know what could happen until you try... have fun and good luck!
cool.gif

Are you joking, are you serious? doesn't matter. I still want to point out that your grim outlook is erroneous. Online dating is not for desperate people.
I had an active social life in my early 20's and I still met people online just for fun. I met lots of guys at school, work, parties, concerts, clubs and even at church. I lived at the beach and knew lots of attractive guys, many of them my friends but I found no love until I met my husband online.

The other point I want to make is that you shouldn't be spending $100 on a stranger, no matter where you meet... (sucker, lol)
After exchanging a few emails with pics, you meet the girl for coffee. Do you have $5 to spend on your social life? maybe you prefer to sit here reading headfi, making your butt take the same shape as your chair. rofl
tongue.gif

your so mean, gosh!er

Some of what i say is true, some of what i say is funny,i'll let u be the judge and figure that one out. None the less, dating is awful, and the art of the chase is usually less fun to most then the achivement of the goal. Online dating has its grim side, and yes I have seen it.

Being a bachelor is fun if you are looking to get laid and are succesful at it... Yet nice guys finish last. If you feel otherwise, we can argue a bout it, but that's the consensus.

I know people who have met their spouses online, very few of them. The generalization I'm making is a bit nasty, but look, i've gone on a ton of dates from girls I met online. It's a much smaller pond to swim in then people actually think. The anti-social nature of the internet compounds that as well... If you need to go online to meet people, then you are limited by the quality (and quantitiy) of people there. The scope is far narrower then reality..

P.S Though i make a guest appearance on here now and then, My ass in no way resembles the contour of my chair. I resemble that remark!! ; )

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 101
I tried online dating after getting a freebie trial from my dinner club. I took the time to write up a really clever but accurate profile and met some really interesting women. Some were, in fact, very nice and most were at least as good looking as the posted photos. I really wasn't having trouble meeting women at all but it seems I was connecting with the wrong ones. After I screened all the nutjobs, married women and gold diggers I found at least three ( out of maybe 75) whom I would not mind at all having a serious relationship with.

One of those was a dentist who had never been married, had no kids and was very nice looking. We weren't compatible in some very, very personal ways but she was really sweet and she'd make someone an outstanding wife.

I think online dating can and does work but like anything else, requires effort. If you simply expect to "order' someone to your specifications, you will indeed be let down. If you have realistic and specific expectations and you clearly state those in your profile( and post very good pictures of yourself) I think you might do well and find someone worth spending time with.

BTW, some of my co-workers found my profile and had a stinking ball ribbing me. I get flack from that to this day. Also, my ex-wife saw it and attempted to make an issue of it in a child custody hearing. Beware and good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back