Internet Dating?
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I see a growing trend of this. For example, on Yahoo personals, I noticed this thing where I type my zip code and all of the sudden, there all these attractive girls in my area looking for guys and I see their pics as well.

I have to admit, it seems tempting for me to contact some of these girls. Not sure if they like headphones though but do you think that more and more people are looking for dates on the internet?

Some of these young girls (18-25) have babies already that they disclose in their profile but I assume because of there situation, they can't go out as often to look for guys. I don't mind making friends with girls who already have a baby. I may not want to marry a single mom though.

I don't know what kind of opinion I should have on this internet dating thing. What are your thoughts?

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 101
Don't date girls with children unless you are planning on getting married. It's cruel to to the children to casually date their mom. Being one in the stream of men in and out of their lives that they are trying to connect to is terrible to their emotional development.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 101
Internet dating is okay. I'm a busy person and really don't have time to traditionally date. It's a great way to screen out the wackos and people who you have zero connection with. Plus there isn't a huge gay scene around me so it's hard for me to meet women who like other women in my area. So yea internet dating is great. I met my current lover on the net and it's hands down the best realtionship I ever had... I think this one may be for the long haul.

And yea don't casually date a single mom. The kids will hate it.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Internet dating is okay. I'm a busy person and really don't have time to traditionally date. It's a great way to screen out the wackos and people who you have zero connection with. Plus there isn't a huge gay scene around me so it's hard for me to meet women who like other women in my area. So yea internet dating is great. I met my current lover on the net and it's hands down the best realtionship I ever had... I think this one may be for the long haul.

That's good to hear. I've, like most, have entertained the idea but have been too skeptical to actually try it. It's hard for me to find women who don't want to have children in my circle. Perhaps I should give it a try... But probably not.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 101
FWIW, one of my best friends as well as both my brother and sister met their spouses online. My friend and sister used a site specifically to meet other people while my brother and his wife met in a random chat room.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
Don't date girls with children unless you are planning on getting married. It's cruel to to the children to casually date their mom. Being one in the stream of men in and out of their lives that they are trying to connect to is terrible to their emotional development.

On the other hand, if you continue the idea, no1 is dating those moms, and surely no1 can tell if they want to marry the girl unless they have dated and know her better...

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, if you continue the idea, no1 is dating those moms, and surely no1 can tell if they want to marry the girl unless they have dated and know her better...

Of course you don't know if you're going to merry somebody before you get to know them. However we have an idea if we're ready to get married or not before we get into a relationship. If you plan on doing some dating before, then don't do it with a single mom.

A single stable mom is capable of raising a emotionally healthy child. However the odds are against it, if you have a series of abandoning men in that childs early development.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 101
I met my husband on Yahoo nine years ago and we've been married for seven. He's the perfect person to put up with all my craziness and we're compatible in almost every way.
Online dating is great because you can interview your prospects like it's a job interview, doing the same in person would be a little rude.
wink.gif

For example, I'd ask things like:

What is the purpose of your inquiry? check all that apply __friendship__marriage__casual sex___pen pals___

Height___ weight____ race/ethnicity___

Time since last relationship? ____

Marital Status: single___ married___ divorced___ too ugly to date___

Do you have Children?___how many?___ages___Child support monthly amount?___

Favorite music/bands___

Movies____

Do you play video games?____ how often?___

List any additional hobbies____

Describe your relationship with your mother____ distance from her house (in miles)____ insert picture of your mother here _____

Do you smoke?____what?___

Drink?___ how often?___liquor budget___

Do you work out?___how often?___gym memberships?___

Work/employment history____ (use aditional paper if necessary)

Your zipcode(s) for last 5 years:____

Vehicles: Own___ (specify make/year)___Lease___ borrow____ bicycle___ bus___walk___

Well, I think you get the idea....
eggosmile.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EWWW internet dating... 50 year old men posing as 19 year old girls.

I think you'll get more of that in World of Warcraft or MySpace.
biggrin.gif

But in all seriousness online dating is a pretty viable option for a lot of busy people nowadays. Plus if you live near or in a big city it's kinda hard to meet decent prospects especially in the paranoid age we live in.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 101
Not quite internet dating, but i met my wife on IRC when she lived in Denver, and I lived in England. That was in 2000. It's our 5th Anniversary in July. I know of at least one of my wifes friends that met her currtent BF using an online dating site. They seem happy. I think it's a great idea if you're busy or new to an area.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 101
My father met the woman he's still dating about 4 years ago on match.com. She's a really great person and they're wonderful together.

My sister just got engaged to someone she met on match.com as well. They've been together for about 3 years.

Now those are the good stories... there are plenty of horrendous people they both met as well. One of my sisters stories is strange enough that it would be inappropriate for this board. There are some strange people out there and they can definitely be on dating sites.

Just be careful. There are good people using those services.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 101
*shrugs* The internet is simply another medium, so I see nothing wrong whatsoever with meeting/dating people over the internet.

In fact, it may even be better than meeting them in, say, a bar; rather than be attracted by how they look, you really get to know the person.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 101
I been dating online since 01.. Probally got over 50 numbers.. None really lead anywhere.. The few serious ones ended up badly.. Most the woman I dated had kids..No biggie.. One wanted me to be his father!! I really liked him & wouldn't have minded, but his mother was a ****, so it didn't go far..
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back