Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Mar 31, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #3,241 of 3,978
At the end of the day, LP DAPs are not for the faint hearted. But it will appeal to those who are in pursuit of sonic bliss. And, yes, the easily pocketable form factor of the P6P cannot be beat. In respect of the UI issues, fingers crossed that the new OS will resolve them. :)
I had to chuckle at this with my recent experience with Cayin N7 and SP3K. My LP6 boots faster than both, and I can get to my music in folder view (scroll/select/play) quicker than both. N7 was choppy despite the latest Android/CPU. With SP3k you have to wait for the dreaded boot up disk scan. In fairness for SP3k, it is fine once it passes the scan. So what's wrong with LP UI? 🤷‍♂️ 🤭

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,242 of 3,978
...still no gapless playback, still not 24/192 dac support. . No matter what, this is the biggest draw back of all LP dap.
I don't care about UI, but lack of gapless playback is completely unacceptable.

LP also promised that future FW to enable high res USB dac. There is no point defending flaws. Better to provide constructive criticism than provide praise for obvious flaws, specially in such higher prices.

Screenshot_20230401_133512.jpg

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #3,243 of 3,978
I had to chuckle at this with my recent experience with Cayin N7 and SP3K. My LP6 boots faster than both, and I can get to my music in folder view (scroll/select/play) quicker than both. N7 was choppy despite the latest Android/CPU. With SP3k you have to wait for the dreaded boot up disk scan. In fairness for SP3k, it is fine once it passes the scan. So what's wrong with LP UI? 🤷‍♂️ 🤭
Not quite sure if you’re being serious or not, but one annoyance on the P6 Pro is that you cannot adjust volume unless a track is playing, and you are on the Now Playing screen. So if you are switching from an IEM that needs more juice to a more sensitive one and don’t want to damage your hearing, you have to navigate to the menu that lets you start playing a tack, without the IEMs plugged in to the player, then adjust the volume, and then put the IEMs in your ears, and then re-navigate to the start of your music. It can be easy to forget to do this if you’ve just switched on the device after leaving it for a while, and it is very unnatural to me after 40+ years of using various types of media players with analog or digital volume controls that I can adjust at any time.

And then there is the layout of said Now Playing screen. I have no idea why the bit rate and sample rate are displayed with such a huge font, while the album art is miniscule.

Oh, and the gapless thing as well. That’s been a solved problem for decades, but not implemented on the P6 Pro OS.

Just a lot of, uh, ‘quirky’ design choices. Yes it boots up fast and sounds pretty great, but the overall experience is diminished by these things imho.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #3,244 of 3,978
The only reason that I sold my P6 Pro was the lack of gapless playback.

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #3,245 of 3,978
Not quite sure if you’re being serious or not, but one annoyance on the P6 Pro is that you cannot adjust volume unless a track is playing, and you are on the Now Playing screen. So if you are switching from an IEM that needs more juice to a more sensitive one and don’t want to damage your hearing, you have to navigate to the menu that lets you start playing a tack, without the IEMs plugged in to the player, then adjust the volume, and then put the IEMs in your ears, and then re-navigate to the start of your music. It can be easy to forget to do this if you’ve just switched on the device after leaving it for a while, and it is very unnatural to me after 40+ years of using various types of media players with analog or digital volume controls that I can adjust at any time.

And then there is the layout of said Now Playing screen. I have no idea why the bit rate and sample rate are displayed with such a huge font, while the album art is miniscule.

Oh, and the gapless thing as well. That’s been a solved problem for decades, but not implemented on the P6 Pro OS.

Just a lot of, uh, ‘quirky’ design choices. Yes it boots up fast and sounds pretty great, but the overall experience is diminished by these things imho.
Hmm it’s been a while since I had P6Pro but I don’t recall volume adjustment being a problem for me. Perhaps because I was always on IEM and volume was set very low to begin with. I remember it was a pain dialing that for HPs and back.

In my comment above, I’m looking at my LP6. It has an analog volume pot so no issue there. Lack of gapless can be annoying but that’s few and in between and I am happy with the sound. I believe Mr. Wan has heard the request but I don’t expect it to change for the current DAPs. This is similar to other DAP vendors. They are too busy developing the next and current gen is pretty much what it is. I just prefer to enjoy what sounds best for me.

On another note, I have been very impressed with SP3k sound and it has respectable feature completeness. It’s worth a look if gapless etc is critical for you. Currently, it’s the only DAP that I feel rubs shoulder with LP6.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,248 of 3,978
That’s a P6 Pro board though, if I’m not mistaken. Might be April fool’s?

5DA65D35-A784-4403-8211-C93C711923D2.jpeg

Historically I thought the LP(6) line is chip based R-2R and the P(6) line is discrete (pictured).

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #3,250 of 3,978
Sure thing, but that’s not what I was talking about. The user above posted an announcement to a P7, which had attached a photo of the P6 board. That’s why I suggested it might be an April Fool’s.
Ha, coffee hadn't kick in. It made sense at the time. Now, not so much. April fools is not a victimless crime.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #3,253 of 3,978
Um....did no one notice it said it was going to be released 31th of the month? April 31th?
so, P7 is going to be P6/P6 Pro successor, right? not that of LP6?

1.png

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #3,255 of 3,978
Hmm it’s been a while since I had P6Pro but I don’t recall volume adjustment being a problem for me. Perhaps because I was always on IEM and volume was set very low to begin with. I remember it was a pain dialing that for HPs and back.

In my comment above, I’m looking at my LP6. It has an analog volume pot so no issue there. Lack of gapless can be annoying but that’s few and in between and I am happy with the sound. I believe Mr. Wan has heard the request but I don’t expect it to change for the current DAPs. This is similar to other DAP vendors. They are too busy developing the next and current gen is pretty much what it is. I just prefer to enjoy what sounds best for me.

On another note, I have been very impressed with SP3k sound and it has respectable feature completeness. It’s worth a look if gapless etc is critical for you. Currently, it’s the only DAP that I feel rubs shoulder with LP6.
Save for the driving power of the SP3K vs the LP DAPs ? :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back