Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
May 9, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #3,271 of 4,006
Hi I am a p6pro user and there one question about the p6pro line out, I find out the line out volume a tuneable, I wonder if p6p Lo volume wheel is used to turn down the line level? For example if I choose 4.4 low gain in line out, is that possible I set the line level lower than 3.1Vrms?
Asking because I wanna use p6p with brise tsuranagi and the suggest input is 1.5vrms, but I only have 4.4-4.4 cable. So wanna know if p6p can tune it's line level.

May 9, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #3,272 of 4,006
Hi I am a p6pro user and there one question about the p6pro line out, I find out the line out volume a tuneable, I wonder if p6p Lo volume wheel is used to turn down the line level? For example if I choose 4.4 low gain in line out, is that possible I set the line level lower than 3.1Vrms?
Asking because I wanna use p6p with brise tsuranagi and the suggest input is 1.5vrms, but I only have 4.4-4.4 cable. So wanna know if p6p can tune it's line level.
Yes, after you switch the output mode to line out mode, you’ll be able to use the wheel to change the line out level.

May 9, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #3,273 of 4,006
Yes, after you switch the output mode to line out mode, you’ll be able to use the wheel to change the line out level.
Think you the reply! LP describe is Confuse me, I don’t know the “switchable design” mean you can switch H/L gain or wheel the line out level.
Now it clarify!think A lot

May 15, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #3,275 of 4,006
I have the L&P P6 Pro here for the Australian tour. I'm still demoing it, UI and functionality issues have been detailed out so not going to comment on that until my final thoughts, but soundwise it's magnificent. I've mainly been using Bluetooth to feed it (blasphemy but I like my albums without gaps...) and even with that limitation in the mix it still performs extremely well. I'm doing my comparisons against the Mojo 2, FiiO Q7 and the Tazzy; closest comparison point to me at the moment would be the Tazzy in terms of pure musical performance. I think AAC from my iPhone has something to do with the warmth as when I was playing tracks directly off the device it was probably closer to the FiiO Q7 and if anything lacked a little warmth; I've noticed this with some other devices that can be driven by Bluetooth or direct, AAC seems to add some warmth to the sound, which suits my ears.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I’m mainly driving my FIR Kr5 with this, match made in heaven.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #3,276 of 4,006
The Luxury and Precision P6 Pro. Where to start? I’ll start with the elephant in the room, the software is lacking. I struggled with it on a few fronts, the biggest being no gapless playback. This impacted what I could load up onto it, I did end up just going with full albums (not split into tracks) which worked fine, just not convenient, and then for when I wanted to move between artists and songs I used Bluetooth. Secondly, navigating the tracks loaded onto the device is not a great experience; slow to scroll, no search, no rapid movement between letters. The other main issue for me was the inability to adjust volume without playing anything, should be an easy fix, and not the biggest problem, but if I changed IEM / headphones between sessions, I sometimes had an uncomfortable level on the next set. Easily overcome by turning it down before stopping playback, but again the software should allow you to do it. From a strictly DAP point of view both of my Walkmans (ZX300 - which with custom firmware can provide a very interesting sound signature, and ZX507) kill it in terms of function as a DAP.

IMG_6793.jpg

(FiiO Q7, L&P P6 Pro, Mojo 2)

That aside, this device blew me away sonically. Similar to @o0genesis0o there was no need to wonder which device I was using, the P6 Pro was obvious and subjectively better sounding to my ears. The strangest thing for me, which has me doubting my sanity, is the Bluetooth (AAC) via the P6 Pro, sounds better than USB direct with other portable devices (being my FiiO Q7, Mojo 2 as my main two portables – and it’s not to say that these sound bad at all, they’re just not in the same ballpark). Do you lose some detail over Bluetooth? Yes… but it sounds overall more pleasing to my ears. Is the P6 Pro more technically accurate? I’m really not sure, I think it’s a little way from natural, but it has a special something that makes listening to music so damn enjoyable. It just sounds amazing.

Soundstage and imaging is on a different level once again to the others, it provides pinpoint accurate positioning, but without sounding fake or overdone. Soundstage is what I would say is correct.

It performed well, and improved, everything that I threw at it. I went from cheap IEMs (Kiwi Ears Cadenza being my low point) to my FIR Audio Kr5, along with many different full size cans (I particularly liked the Focal Radiance with this) and you can easily hear the improvement.

What is that improvement? It has a beautiful, clean, smooth sound with plenty of detail but it’s not all in your face like with some devices. Is it how the recording should sound? Maybe not? But it’s certainly a wonderful way to experience music. The Kr5 to me produce something that sounds close to real life (why I bought them), paired with this I get to a musical bliss where I really don’t think there is much room to improve, but I thought the same about the Kr5 by themselves from a decent source so clearly a foolish statement.

I have quite a few notes on albums that I listened to, the standout for me was probably The Doors - The Soft Parade (50th anniversary). I think they did a wonderful job with these editions from a starting point, but the P6 Pro delivers the album in a way that I've never quite experienced. It's probably my least favourite The Doors album but it elevated the sound to something that I believe they were maybe originally going for, the sound is extremely organic, lifelike, and with a wonderful space that the music is played in. Switching back to the FiiO Q7 for this one it is still nice, but the organic, lifelike quality is gone and it just sounds good. This is a similar tale for most of the albums I played.

I mainly used 4.4mm, I’m not sure on the circuitry but 3.5mm did not sound as good when I tried the same IEM on both (volume matched as close as my ears could). It's nitpicking though, it did sound wonderful out of both.

The closest I get from my equipment is probably my Sony TA-ZH1ES, it has some very similar qualities, but the L&P P6P exceeds to my ears particularly on the low end (and I get some noise on IEM's so really can't be used the same).

Where does it leave me recommendation wise? Would I recommend it as a DAP? No, the software just isn’t where it needs to be. Would I recommend it as a portable DAC/AMP with Bluetooth? Absolutely. It’s worth the money sound wise, I really cannot do justice to the sound that comes out of this device.

The DAP went to the next stop on the tour today, I'm back to my standard setup and miss what this delivered. I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to test it out (thank you Luxury and Precision and @Damz87 for organising), and hope one day to add this (or it's successor with better software....) to my collection. If you have the chance to listen to this go in cautiously as you won't really want to go back.

May 25, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,278 of 4,006
Just received this beauty as part of Australian tour. Love the unboxing experience and this dap classic look.
C9FB1CF3-811A-4C7D-A372-52DF651B2DC1.jpeg

First thing, I inserted my sd card contains my flacs and it failed to read them. @tombrisbane kindly informed me that I need to format it inside the dap first before i can put musics in it.

Cant remember the last time I had to format sd card before being able to use it in dap.

Anyway, first sound impression - it has unmistaken R2R DAC sound signature: smooth and laid back.
More impression to follow later

May 26, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #3,279 of 4,006
Just received this beauty as part of Australian tour. Love the unboxing experience and this dap classic look.
C9FB1CF3-811A-4C7D-A372-52DF651B2DC1.jpeg

First thing, I inserted my sd card contains my flacs and it failed to read them. @tombrisbane kindly informed me that I need to format it inside the dap first before i can put musics in it.

Cant remember the last time I had to format sd card before being able to use it in dap.

Anyway, first sound impression - it has unmistaken R2R DAC sound signature: smooth and laid back.
More impression to follow later
Basically, it only takes fat32 format. You can format it with a macbook and choose fat32. :)

May 30, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #3,280 of 4,006
The Luxury and Precision P6 Pro. Where to start? I’ll start with the elephant in the room, the software is lacking. I struggled with it on a few fronts, the biggest being no gapless playback. This impacted what I could load up onto it, I did end up just going with full albums (not split into tracks) which worked fine, just not convenient, and then for when I wanted to move between artists and songs I used Bluetooth. Secondly, navigating the tracks loaded onto the device is not a great experience; slow to scroll, no search, no rapid movement between letters. The other main issue for me was the inability to adjust volume without playing anything, should be an easy fix, and not the biggest problem, but if I changed IEM / headphones between sessions, I sometimes had an uncomfortable level on the next set. Easily overcome by turning it down before stopping playback, but again the software should allow you to do it. From a strictly DAP point of view both of my Walkmans (ZX300 - which with custom firmware can provide a very interesting sound signature, and ZX507) kill it in terms of function as a DAP.

IMG_6793.jpg
(FiiO Q7, L&P P6 Pro, Mojo 2)

That aside, this device blew me away sonically. Similar to @o0genesis0o there was no need to wonder which device I was using, the P6 Pro was obvious and subjectively better sounding to my ears. The strangest thing for me, which has me doubting my sanity, is the Bluetooth (AAC) via the P6 Pro, sounds better than USB direct with other portable devices (being my FiiO Q7, Mojo 2 as my main two portables – and it’s not to say that these sound bad at all, they’re just not in the same ballpark). Do you lose some detail over Bluetooth? Yes… but it sounds overall more pleasing to my ears. Is the P6 Pro more technically accurate? I’m really not sure, I think it’s a little way from natural, but it has a special something that makes listening to music so damn enjoyable. It just sounds amazing.

Soundstage and imaging is on a different level once again to the others, it provides pinpoint accurate positioning, but without sounding fake or overdone. Soundstage is what I would say is correct.

It performed well, and improved, everything that I threw at it. I went from cheap IEMs (Kiwi Ears Cadenza being my low point) to my FIR Audio Kr5, along with many different full size cans (I particularly liked the Focal Radiance with this) and you can easily hear the improvement.

What is that improvement? It has a beautiful, clean, smooth sound with plenty of detail but it’s not all in your face like with some devices. Is it how the recording should sound? Maybe not? But it’s certainly a wonderful way to experience music. The Kr5 to me produce something that sounds close to real life (why I bought them), paired with this I get to a musical bliss where I really don’t think there is much room to improve, but I thought the same about the Kr5 by themselves from a decent source so clearly a foolish statement.

I have quite a few notes on albums that I listened to, the standout for me was probably The Doors - The Soft Parade (50th anniversary). I think they did a wonderful job with these editions from a starting point, but the P6 Pro delivers the album in a way that I've never quite experienced. It's probably my least favourite The Doors album but it elevated the sound to something that I believe they were maybe originally going for, the sound is extremely organic, lifelike, and with a wonderful space that the music is played in. Switching back to the FiiO Q7 for this one it is still nice, but the organic, lifelike quality is gone and it just sounds good. This is a similar tale for most of the albums I played.

I mainly used 4.4mm, I’m not sure on the circuitry but 3.5mm did not sound as good when I tried the same IEM on both (volume matched as close as my ears could). It's nitpicking though, it did sound wonderful out of both.

The closest I get from my equipment is probably my Sony TA-ZH1ES, it has some very similar qualities, but the L&P P6P exceeds to my ears particularly on the low end (and I get some noise on IEM's so really can't be used the same).

Where does it leave me recommendation wise? Would I recommend it as a DAP? No, the software just isn’t where it needs to be. Would I recommend it as a portable DAC/AMP with Bluetooth? Absolutely. It’s worth the money sound wise, I really cannot do justice to the sound that comes out of this device.

The DAP went to the next stop on the tour today, I'm back to my standard setup and miss what this delivered. I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to test it out (thank you Luxury and Precision and @Damz87 for organising), and hope one day to add this (or it's successor with better software....) to my collection. If you have the chance to listen to this go in cautiously as you won't really want to go back.
What a great write up! I've been living with P6Pro for about 6 months now, and coming from a very functional AK Kann Max which I immediately sold, there is something incredibly special in this little player.

Yes, I hate that I can't stream, no Gapless, NO EQ of worth, no search, etc., I agree with you but that said, it's my primary listening source.

And just today I solved one problem!
20230530_190608.jpg

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #3,281 of 4,006
Luxury & Precision P6 Pro

Luxury & Precision P6 Pro is a $3899 R2R DAP, purely designed for music (ie no Android, no wifi).

8F0E11AE-F593-4264-85F8-F9AD70A2A250.jpeg

I love the classy timeless aesthetic of P6 Pro with wood back panel and engraved with the brand name. At 230gr, its definitely the lightest among TOTL daps.
BBEEEFE3-2163-41A1-A2E6-04B48182C436.jpeg

The User Interface (UI) is simple and plain without capability for customisation. There are few quirks that I found with the DAP:

-USB setting automatically reset to MSC (storage) everytime unit is turned on - even if previously USB DAC was selected. I often connect P6 Pro to my laptop - so I can listen to Qobuz streaming. I would need to change the setting everytime. No big deal just small nuisance.

-Volume cannot be adjusted if no music is playing. I have a habit to dial down the volume before start playing to avoid blasting my eardrum since I have multiple iems with different sensitivity. This unfortunately isn’t possible with P6 Pro.

-SD card needs to be in old FAT32 format. That means my sd card that has already 300GB musics would need to be reformatted first.

-Screen isn’t that bright even at max setting. This makes it more difficult to see during the day

3A4D6CC7-23AA-47AE-A284-1A0F1BDE7CEE.jpeg

Next is the sound impression. It is done on default filter setting: NOS.

P6 Pro is a neutral-warm-ish dap. The bass has just enough punch and well controlled. The vocal sounds natural, relaxed with hint of warmth.
Treble for me is too recessed. It lacks of sparkle and energy.

1F0110A2-75DA-4C83-9621-A8E7DF99BD68.jpeg
The soundstage is huge - its what I enjoy the most in LP6 Pro.
Attacking edge unfortunately is just too blunt/ over-smooth. The dynamics is just too sluggish.

There is lack of notes richness in P6 Pro. It struggles to reproduce complex layering in music - everything seems to mashed together.

I tried different filter setting: Fast attenuation. It sounds snappier which improves dynamics, instrument separation slightly improves at the expense of less wide soundstage.

Comparison with Shanling M9+
18D047D3-44CF-48BA-A767-A78C92EED22C.jpeg

P6 Pro is more neutral while M9+ is V shape with emphasis on subbass.

P6 Pro has more spacious soundstage while M9+ is more intimate.
In term of imaging, P6 Pro is less precise and hazier.

P6 Pro esp in Fast attenuation filter has very good detail retrieval. However, it is still outclassed by the newer M9+

To sum up, P6 Pro is not a dap for me. My main complain is the sound is too smooth and lack of energy. However, I can see this dap would be perfect for those who want offline music player with laidback sound and very good details.

Big thanks to L&P and @Damz87 for organising this tour.
5301B1A8-8D65-47E8-A987-C88037B91441.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #3,282 of 4,006
Volume cannot be adjusted if no music is playing. I have a habit to dial down the volume before start playing to avoid blasting my eardrum since I have multiple iems with different sensitivity. This unfortunately isn’t possible with P6 Pro.
Great write up @lycos !

The volume control bugged me as well, but iirc I found a setting that changed the function of the scroll wheel to volume control, so you could adjust in any screen. I think the wheel defaults to scroll menus instead of volume as a legacy from when LP players didn’t have a touch screen.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,283 of 4,006
Luxury & Precision P6 Pro

Luxury & Precision P6 Pro is a $3899 R2R DAP, purely designed for music (ie no Android, no wifi).

8F0E11AE-F593-4264-85F8-F9AD70A2A250.jpeg

I love the classy timeless aesthetic of P6 Pro with wood back panel and engraved with the brand name. At 230gr, its definitely the lightest among TOTL daps.
BBEEEFE3-2163-41A1-A2E6-04B48182C436.jpeg

The User Interface (UI) is simple and plain without capability for customisation. There are few quirks that I found with the DAP:

-USB setting automatically reset to MSC (storage) everytime unit is turned on - even if previously USB DAC was selected. I often connect P6 Pro to my laptop - so I can listen to Qobuz streaming. I would need to change the setting everytime. No big deal just small nuisance.

-Volume cannot be adjusted if no music is playing. I have a habit to dial down the volume before start playing to avoid blasting my eardrum since I have multiple iems with different sensitivity. This unfortunately isn’t possible with P6 Pro.

-SD card needs to be in old FAT32 format. That means my sd card that has already 300GB musics would need to be reformatted first.

-Screen isn’t that bright even at max setting. This makes it more difficult to see during the day

3A4D6CC7-23AA-47AE-A284-1A0F1BDE7CEE.jpeg

Next is the sound impression. It is done on default filter setting: NOS.

P6 Pro is a neutral-warm-ish dap. The bass has just enough punch and well controlled. The vocal sounds natural, relaxed with hint of warmth.
Treble for me is too recessed. It lacks of sparkle and energy.

1F0110A2-75DA-4C83-9621-A8E7DF99BD68.jpeg
The soundstage is huge - its what I enjoy the most in LP6 Pro.
Attacking edge unfortunately is just too blunt/ over-smooth. The dynamics is just too sluggish.

There is lack of notes richness in P6 Pro. It struggles to reproduce complex layering in music - everything seems to mashed together.

I tried different filter setting: Fast attenuation. It sounds snappier which improves dynamics, instrument separation slightly improves at the expense of less wide soundstage.

Comparison with Shanling M9+
18D047D3-44CF-48BA-A767-A78C92EED22C.jpeg

P6 Pro is more neutral while M9+ is V shape with emphasis on subbass.

P6 Pro has more spacious soundstage while M9+ is more intimate.
In term of imaging, P6 Pro is less precise and hazier.

P6 Pro esp in Fast attenuation filter has very good detail retrieval. However, it is still outclassed by the newer M9+

To sum up, P6 Pro is not a dap for me. My main complain is the sound is too smooth and lack of energy. However, I can see this dap would be perfect for those who want offline music player with laidback sound and very good details.

Big thanks to L&P and @Damz87 for organising this tour.
5301B1A8-8D65-47E8-A987-C88037B91441.jpeg
That's the first review I've read that criticized the SQ! I'm used to all the other critiques cuz I have em myself! Still, I must be one of those looking for laid back sound and very good details as you'd have to pry my P6Pro from my cold, dead hands!

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #3,284 of 4,006
That's the first review I've read that criticized the SQ! I'm used to all the other critiques cuz I have em myself! Still, I must be one of those looking for laid back sound and very good details as you'd have to pry my P6Pro from my cold, dead hands!
Well, if one wanted more forward vocals/mids, then the Obsidian P6Pro would be more up your alley. LP came up with it on clamouring for the original P6 sound signature which was more geared towards vocal music. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back