Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
May 23, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #1,427 of 4,027
Ok so this is an upgrade on the P6 in most every way in terms of OS, dynamic range, accurate harmonic balance. The original P6 is still excellent if you like that softer sound but lacks the level of impact the P6 Pro can offer.

https://headfonics.com/luxury-precision-p6-pro-review/

1621768972970.png

May 23, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #1,428 of 4,027
May 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,429 of 4,027
P6 Pro, can you live with it?
The sound is special not trying to describe why here, as I read posts and during quite a few PM discussions the software is holding people back from adding a P6 Pro to their lineup.

How will you play your tracks?

If you just want to load all your favorite tracks on a card and than put the player in random mode, nothing stopping you, that works well. Turn off the player when you are done, next time you hold that power button down for five seconds and wait an additional two seconds for the unit to power up, then at the very top of the screen you simply click resume play, turn the display off, I put it in my top pocket, and do not look at it again, you can use the bottom/top left buttons to skip the track. (middle left button is pause).

A2CFB1AD-1F8A-49EE-BA16-F4A7CC5D32EB.jpeg

(Niggle if you want to hear that track again, and click the top or bottom left button, you will get a different random selection, there is no back button on “Shuffle”. If you do want to hear that track again, think fast before it ends, turn on the screen and drag the progress bar to the left. If you miss it and the next randomly selected song starts, then we segue into the non-random methods to access your tracks.)

To use the P6 Pro to play specific tracks, albums, or artists, is where putting up with the software is the most compromised. First there is no search, scrolling through the lists you can display, is the only option.

Wherever you end up, if you are not in “Play mode” “Shuffle”, the order the tracks are shown in is the order you will hear them in.

You can access the folders stored on the P6 Pro.
From the “Now playing” screen click the arrow in the upper top left of the screen or use the right side bottom command button, you will see “Directory” with a file folder as the icon, clicking it will reveal two folder icons, “Internal memory” and “TF Card”.

552A19CA-5A9A-417C-8811-7A4FC4A0186B.jpeg

DC72FA67-254F-47ED-8E23-8AF3C9FBAC83.jpeg

(Niggle, clicking either “TF Card” or “Internal Memory”displays a list of folders, artist names, these are not alphabetical, so scroll searching is a PITA).

8DED78E7-19A2-4658-A394-4740D1D6073B.jpeg

When you do find your artist folder, click on it and the albums within will come up, clicking on one of them, the tracks will come up, you can than simply play from there by choosing one of the tracks by clicking on it. The screen will flip to “Now playing” and play back begins.

Note: This is where the option for folder skip takes effect, if you have multiple albums under that artists, and have the “Folder Skip” option turned on, playback will move to the next album folder after the last track ends from the preceding album folder. If this was the last album folder under that artist, the P6 Pro will move to the next artist. If you have the “Folder skip” option turned off, playback will move back to the first song on that same album.

Below “Directory” you will see the P6 Pro database created views.

“All music” (this is what you may have chosen to play in random as described above)
“Artist” (Niggle; all songs are listed for the chosen artist in file name order across all albums, not in album order, no album name is listed, one layer only, artist and their songs.)
“Album” (Niggle you must remember the album name, as that is all that shows in this list, it does not include the artist name in the list, one layer only.)

I tried to keep this brief, hopefully based on my use case, it helps you to decide if you could live with the P6 Pro software implementation. If playing all tracks in random is mostly what you do, software is great for that. If you always need to be in control, and frequently change what is playing that is where the Niggles could get annoying.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,430 of 4,027
I absolutely love the idea of P6Pro being totally old school with a must sound to match of course, there's just absolutely nothing and i meant nothing sounding this good in tbe portable realm.

May 24, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,431 of 4,027
I absolutely love the idea of P6Pro being totally old school with a must sound to match of course, there's just absolutely nothing and i meant nothing sounding this good in tbe portable realm.

I went from the Cayin N8, which I personally found a bit disappointing after hearing so many rave reviews about it to the L&P P6 Pro and the difference was night and day.

The Cayin N8 sounded like a better version than everything I had heard previously. But the P6 Pro is like a completely different thing altogether. It sounds like you're hearing music at it's most natural and refined form, whereas the N8 sounded like it had merely shifted the sound around to give you a different take on it compared to other DAP's.

I'm pissed I'm having to sell mine as it's truly a work of art.

May 24, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,432 of 4,027
I went from the Cayin N8, which I personally found a bit disappointing after hearing so many rave reviews about it to the L&P P6 Pro and the difference was night and day.

The Cayin N8 sounded like a better version than everything I had heard previously. But the P6 Pro is like a completely different thing altogether. It sounds like you're hearing music at it's most natural and refined form, whereas the N8 sounded like it had merely shifted the sound around to give you a different take on it compared to other DAP's.

I'm pissed I'm having to sell mine as it's truly a work of art.
Sorry to hear you have to sell it, one day i might sell mine but only to upgrade to the next one they come up with, i won't be in a hurry.
And yes, i am still tempted to get other daps, but then i remind myself there's absolutely no point, plus this is one of the lightest and best made and case protected daps, the quality is real here, no gimmicks and no cheap parts here and there with silly marketing stuff😁🍻

May 24, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,433 of 4,027
P6 Pro, can you live with it?
The sound is special not trying to describe why here, as I read posts and during quite a few PM discussions the software is holding people back from adding a P6 Pro to their lineup.

How will you play your tracks?

If you just want to load all your favorite tracks on a card and than put the player in random mode, nothing stopping you, that works well. Turn off the player when you are done, next time you hold that power button down for five seconds and wait an additional two seconds for the unit to power up, then at the very top of the screen you simply click resume play, turn the display off, I put it in my top pocket, and do not look at it again, you can use the bottom/top left buttons to skip the track. (middle left button is pause).

A2CFB1AD-1F8A-49EE-BA16-F4A7CC5D32EB.jpeg

(Niggle if you want to hear that track again, and click the top or bottom left button, you will get a different random selection, there is no back button on “Shuffle”. If you do want to hear that track again, think fast before it ends, turn on the screen and drag the progress bar to the left. If you miss it and the next randomly selected song starts, then we segue into the non-random methods to access your tracks.)

To use the P6 Pro to play specific tracks, albums, or artists, is where putting up with the software is the most compromised. First there is no search, scrolling through the lists you can display, is the only option.

Wherever you end up, if you are not in “Play mode” “Shuffle”, the order the tracks are shown in is the order you will hear them in.

You can access the folders stored on the P6 Pro.
From the “Now playing” screen click the arrow in the upper top left of the screen or use the right side bottom command button, you will see “Directory” with a file folder as the icon, clicking it will reveal two folder icons, “Internal memory” and “TF Card”.

552A19CA-5A9A-417C-8811-7A4FC4A0186B.jpeg

DC72FA67-254F-47ED-8E23-8AF3C9FBAC83.jpeg

(Niggle, clicking either “TF Card” or “Internal Memory”displays a list of folders, artist names, these are not alphabetical, so scroll searching is a PIA).

8DED78E7-19A2-4658-A394-4740D1D6073B.jpeg

When you do find your artist folder, click on it and the albums within will come up, clicking on one of them, the tracks will come up, you can than simply play from there by choosing one of the tracks by clicking on it. The screen will flip to “Now playing” and play back begins.

Note: This is where the option for folder skip takes effect, if you have multiple albums under that artists, and have the “Folder Skip” option turned on, playback will move to the next album folder after the last track ends from the preceding album folder. If this was the last album folder under that artist, the P6 Pro will move to the next artist. If you have the “Folder skip” option turned off, playback will move back to the first song on that same album.

Below “Directory” you will see the P6 Pro database created views.

“All music” (this is what you may have chosen to play in random as described above)
“Artist” (Niggle; all songs are listed for the chosen artist in file name order across all albums, not in album order, no album name is listed, one layer only, artist and their songs.)
“Album” (Niggle you must remember the album name, as that is all that shows in this list, it does not include the artist name in the list, one layer only.)

I tried to keep this brief, hopefully based on my use case, it helps you to decide if you could live with the P6 Pro software implementation. If playing all tracks in random is mostly what you do, software is great for that. If you always need to be in control, and frequently change what is playing that is where the Niggles could get annoying.
Thanks for explaining everything. I had almost all of it down, but always wondered if I was doing it right, lol.

What passed me by was how to get specific albums - since as you pointed out clicking on artist just shows all the songs listed, and clicking on album just lists albums with no artist name. I never thought to click on the directory and navigate it that way.

Much appreciated!

May 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,435 of 4,027
Your brain is a very astute observer of the distortions/artifacts present in music playback that are absent in the live original. You kind'a get used to them being there, but once they are removed (in whole or in part), you suddenly realize how different it can be..... Seems like proper r-2-r dacs have fewer artifacts than delta-sgma dacs, so the P6Pro sounding 'different' makes a lot of sense.

As far as folder browsing is concerned, if you name the files with track numbers at their beginning, and have a decent folder-directory structure it is pretty straightforward. Everyone has a different weighting of convenience vs sonics.... P6Pro sounds quite awesome - perhaps not awesome enough for some folks who rely on metadat searches etc...

May 26, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,436 of 4,027
Your brain is a very astute observer of the distortions/artifacts present in music playback that are absent in the live original. You kind'a get used to them being there, but once they are removed (in whole or in part), you suddenly realize how different it can be..... Seems like proper r-2-r dacs have fewer artifacts than delta-sgma dacs, so the P6Pro sounding 'different' makes a lot of sense.

As far as folder browsing is concerned, if you name the files with track numbers at their beginning, and have a decent folder-directory structure it is pretty straightforward. Everyone has a different weighting of convenience vs sonics.... P6Pro sounds quite awesome - perhaps not awesome enough for some folks who rely on metadat searches etc...
I think that some genres the album tracks all have different artists when that is the case the artist list gets crazy long. That may be an issue for some. Not me, it is annoying on compilation albums, DJ stuff, that I have in my collection, still using the directory you can get around it.

The upfront effort in loading the card is critical, if you load the artist in alphabetical order that is the way they appear, in load time order. If you add an artist later it will appear at the bottom on the file folder directory.

May 26, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,437 of 4,027
Directory mode also helps get around track sequence issues for albums with multiple CDs. In my experience, using album mode doesn't consider separate CDs properly so the track sequence ends up like [track 1 from CD1], [track 1 from CD2], ... This is probably a metadata issue (had this problem on my phone too), but it's much easier and faster to just use directory mode where the CDs are their respective folders instead of manually editing the metadata so it works in album mode.

May 28, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,438 of 4,027
What file format does the SD Card need to be? Just recieved my P6Pro and it can't see my Samsung 256GB SD Card. Looks like I need to transfer all my SD Card music to another place while I format the SD Card and then transfer it all back. Third world problems.....

May 28, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,439 of 4,027
What file format does the SD Card need to be? Just recieved my P6Pro and it can't see my Samsung 256GB SD Card. Looks like I need to transfer all my SD Card music to another place while I format the SD Card and then transfer it all back. Third world problems.....
Yes I encountered a similar problem with one of my SD cards. I plug it in, and the machine says it needs format the card. Did that using the machine and then reload the files to it.

Strangely, my other card from the same brand (Sandisk) works without needing to format the card.

May 28, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,440 of 4,027
While you wait for the transfer, perhaps you can load some files to the internal storage first and start listening and testing the device. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back