Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #166 of 3,957
Looks like my R2R2K software nitemare came back but only this time it's even worse. I was not able to play more than 3 ~ 4 songs on
this damn device without device going dead. I had to press and hold the power button multiple times to bring back the device only
to find the device's at factory reset. Sometimes the L&P logo screen comes on but goes off immediately. Luckily when it was on the device
detects 1TB SD card but cannot detect more than 6K songs which is a major issue for me. Right now the challenge is to have this device to
stay on playing for more than 5 minutes without going down. It's been stuck on 'update media library' for last 30 minutes. Perhaps, I should
try with the smaller SD card to see if this is an issue with 1TB SD card. I certainly do not end up becoming a beta tester after spending this
much money.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #167 of 3,957
Looks like my R2R2K software nitemare came back but only this time it's even worse. I was not able to play more than 3 ~ 4 songs on
this damn device without device going dead. I had to press and hold the power button multiple times to bring back the device only
to find the device's at factory reset. Sometimes the L&P logo screen comes on but goes off immediately. Luckily when it was on the device
detects 1TB SD card but cannot detect more than 6K songs which is a major issue for me. Right now the challenge is to have this device to
stay on playing for more than 5 minutes without going down. It's been stuck on 'update media library' for last 30 minutes. Perhaps, I should
try with the smaller SD card to see if this is an issue with 1TB SD card. I certainly do not end up becoming a beta tester after spending this
much money.
It is most likely something to do with messy metadata.

Clear all the tags you don't need.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #168 of 3,957
much money.

Did you try copying songs to internal storage first? Their spec says 512GB card support, so maybe it craps out with higher capacity cards? Definitely try smaller one or maybe just start with internal storage first to see how everything works. Who knows, maybe it doesn't like your card or higher capacity outside of what they tested. I think this is Linux based OS. Just like all those Cowon Plenue DAPs which can't even support more than 256GB micro SD cards. I just don't have too many songs to test it, but also in many DAPs there could be a limitation of how many songs they can index, but when you browse by Directory it is unlimited.

Keep in mind, just from experience of testing every L&P DAP (exception LP6 Ti), software is not their strongest point. Interface will be primitive, though not as primitive as Hifiman.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #169 of 3,957
much money.
Oh man, I hope you get it working again soon. ASFAIK the LP6 Ti also only had/has an index of 6k songs. I never got why they couldn’t work that out. Anyways, good luck!

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #170 of 3,957
It is most likely something to do with messy metadata.

Clear all the tags you don't need.

Tks, but I don't think it's my metadata as the data on the same card work just fine on other daps. Even it's the metadata I am not ready to go though 9000 files.

Did you try copying songs to internal storage first? Their spec says 512GB card support, so maybe it craps out with higher capacity cards? Definitely try smaller one or maybe just start with internal storage first to see how everything works. Who knows, maybe it doesn't like your card or higher capacity outside of what they tested. I think this is Linux based OS. Just like all those Cowon Plenue DAPs which can't even support more than 256GB micro SD cards. I just don't have too many songs to test it, but also in many DAPs there could be a limitation of how many songs they can index, but when you browse by Directory it is unlimited.

Keep in mind, just from experience of testing every L&P DAP (exception LP6 Ti), software is not their strongest point. Interface will be primitive, though not as primitive as Hifiman.

I am transferring the files into my Samsung 400GB card now to test. It is still not a permanent solution but hope it improves as I want to listen how this dap sounds like.
Not a good start unless L&P fixes it with their later firmware.

Oh man, I hope you get it working again soon. ASFAIK the LP6 Ti also only had/has an index of 6k songs. I never got why they couldn’t work that out. Anyways, good luck!

This 6K limit is not acceptable to me. If they cannot fix this, it is surely not a right dap for me.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #171 of 3,957

What capacity card did you use on LP6 Ti? Or did you read about 6k limit somewhere else (link?). I can actually understand 6k limit on LP6Ti, but expected P6 to have only 3k limit, you know, aligned with a price :D j/k

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #172 of 3,957
What capacity card did you use on LP6 Ti? Or did you read about 6k limit somewhere else (link?). I can actually understand 6k limit on LP6Ti, but expected P6 to have only 3k limit, you know, aligned with a price :D j/k

"File" that one under 'audiophile dad joke', or maybe dap joke.....

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #173 of 3,957

That's real cheering that I actually got 6K limit at half a price. :)
Seriously, I knew I am getting a dap with the primitive user interface with no touch screen but at least I should be able to safely play all my songs on SD.
Upon further testing (Tks God I am on vacation to do this) I found the workaround to device going unresponsive. I believe this is due to scan jobs killing
process. The problem usually happens when you skip the song with the shuffle mode on. When the device goes to blank screen or freezes, you just
need to take out the SD card and reinsert. It will bring the system back up. I am still on 1TB sd card but will try 400gb sd card later today to see if
I see the same freeze.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #175 of 3,957
Sound wise, this is quite a organic sounding device which I can enjoy but there's a limit as to how much can tolerate in terms of usability and bugs.

That smoother organic tonality changes after about a day of burn in. I'm probably on 75hrs now and while it still sounds very natural, it became super clean and transparent, like sterile clean, and with a very black background. No hissing even with Campfire stuff.

A few things I discovered. In any screen/menu when you press and hold "return" key, it takes you to Playback screen. And while in Playback screen, pressing and holding "return" key takes you to Settings Menu. Very useful shortcut. Also, in Playback screen when you press and hold "enter" key, it brings up Add to Playlist popup menu. I already emailed L&P and suggested if they can add a few other shortcuts in there, perhaps PA Gain and Playback Mode since those are the most used functions and you don't want to be searching menu for it.

Also, you can select either Play/Pause/Skip or Volume wheel or both to be used for navigation through menus. While I had both at first, I'm only using playback keys for navigation now so I can use Volume wheel for volume control while changing settings. Otherwise, volume wheel used for navigation outside of Playback screen if enabled.

I also tested USB DAC mode. Was using my Win10 laptop, got recognized right away and connected within a minute. Very clean sound.

EQ is not customizable, just like in any other L&P dap, but the included presets are actually quite good, and it drops the volume by about 6dB when presets are enabled so there is no clipping when EQ is on.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #176 of 3,957
Just tested the fat32 formatted 400GB SD card having 7500 16/48 flac files and I am no longer seeing the system freeze, so this could be
related to 1TB SD card. LP6 TI has been around for quite a while but they are still running into 6K limitation so I am skeptical they will ever
address this limit. It's a shame that a good sounding dap like this cannot have a decent software. AK/iBasso are far advance in this regards.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #177 of 3,957
That smoother organic tonality changes after about a day of burn in. I'm probably on 75hrs now and while it still sounds very natural, it became super clean and transparent, like sterile clean, and with a very black background. No hissing even with Campfire stuff.

A few things I discovered. In any screen/menu when you press and hold "return" key, it takes you to Playback screen. And while in Playback screen, pressing and holding "return" key takes you to Settings Menu. Very useful shortcut. Also, in Playback screen when you press and hold "enter" key, it brings up Add to Playlist popup menu. I already emailed L&P and suggested if they can add a few other shortcuts in there, perhaps PA Gain and Playback Mode since those are the most used functions and you don't want to be searching menu for it.

Also, you can select either Play/Pause/Skip or Volume wheel or both to be used for navigation through menus. While I had both at first, I'm only using playback keys for navigation now so I can use Volume wheel for volume control while changing settings. Otherwise, volume wheel used for navigation outside of Playback screen if enabled.

I also tested USB DAC mode. Was using my Win10 laptop, got recognized right away and connected within a minute. Very clean sound.

EQ is not customizable, just like in any other L&P dap, but the included presets are actually quite good, and it drops the volume by about 6dB when presets are enabled so there is no clipping when EQ is on.

I look forward to sound change with the burn in. You are absolutely correct this sounds better than R2R2K with more weight and openness.
Yeah I found the return key shortcut quite useful. Tks for your tip. Now if they can address the 1TB SD and file index limitation issue, it's a keeper.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #178 of 3,957
i dont recommend any diy mod...p6 is not A delta sigma dac type machine... any change here n there can adversely affect the overall performance easily...then of coz, it is your machine, your money...so long you enjoy...

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #180 of 3,957
I look forward to sound change with the burn in. You are absolutely correct this sounds better than R2R2K with more weight and openness.
Yeah I found the return key shortcut quite useful. Tks for your tip. Now if they can address the 1TB SD and file index limitation issue, it's a keeper.

Holy crap, Bluetooth is working!!! @Eaton just explained to me, we were looking at it the wrong way. P6 has Bluetooth Receiver, not Transmitter. So, you turn on the BT on P6, and go to your phone and search and pair up P6 as a wireless DAC/amp.

1594695262323.png
1594695293784.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back