Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #140 of 3,960
Yeah, no touch screen on 21st century dap?? but I wonder how the P6 mod will turn out.
He said P6 already sounds awesome with 8 discrete pcm1074 r2rs.
R2R most important aspects would be the “Firmwares” and less of hardwares. You can modify Hardware for improvements for sure, but the downfall of Discrete R2R is that it has too little precision tolerances , which required for an accurate signal translations or retrieval’s. All the magic is in the algorithms and DSP “errors corrections and recovery”, also it depends on the FPGA chips or whatever ,The capacitors as well....basically, discrete R2R is “hell” to make it right

Anyways, it is interesting and yes, I agree about the touch screen. I can hardly deal with the small one in my DMP, let alone “0” touches

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #141 of 3,960
Yeah, no touch screen on 21st century dap?? but I wonder how the P6 mod will turn out.
He said P6 already sounds awesome with 8 discrete pcm1074 r2rs.
R2R most important aspects would be the “Firmwares” and less of hardwares. You can modify Hardware for improvements for sure, but the downfall of Discrete R2R is that it has too little precision tolerances , which required for an accurate signal translations or retrieval’s. All the magic is in the algorithms and DSP “errors corrections and recovery”, also it depends on the FPGA chips or whatever ,The capacitors as well....basically, discrete R2R is “hell” to make it right

Anyways, it is interesting and yes, I agree about the touch screen. I can hardly deal with the small one in my DMP, let alone “0” touches
It’s not that it’s a no go to have no touch (just look at the incredible sounding DTR1 for a few hundred bucks) BUT having such a big display and costing so much money, it is a no go IMO.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #142 of 3,960
July 8, 2020

A quick update to the sound signature and it’s more and more organic. Excellent soundstage and focus in regards to the music and the vocals. Very happy with the unit and it’s very good for IEM’s. Can listen to the P6 for hours and hours, whereas I do get tired listening to the same songs on the SP2K after an hour or so. Call it detail fatigue?

What the heck, I take your word for it. I just ordered one with the case and will receive it by this Saturday. I can't wait to try this out.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #145 of 3,960
Anyone compare this with a Cayin N8? I do not need another DAP, but have always wanted to get an N8, and now, maybe this one.....

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #146 of 3,960
Anyone compare this with a Cayin N8? I do not need another DAP, but have always wanted to get an N8, and now, maybe this one.....
If you ask me, get yourself an affordable DAP for the next two/three years, because then the next generation of flagship DAPs will be on the market, they will have plenty of internal memory (hopefully), nearly all of them will stream perfectly high res files on (hopefully) all platforms, they will (need to) have a great display, touch screen, EQ, etc. etc. Or they will not. Haha. But if you have the money, I would say: go catch them both :wink:

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #147 of 3,960
If you ask me, get yourself an affordable DAP for the next two/three years, because then the next generation of flagship DAPs will be on the market, they will have plenty of internal memory (hopefully), nearly all of them will stream perfectly high res files on (hopefully) all platforms, they will (need to) have a great display, touch screen, EQ, etc. etc. Or they will not. Haha. But if you have the money, I would say: go catch them both :wink:

I've got quite a few already, and really only use the AK2000 and the N6/A01 on any regular basis, with my Campfire Solaris or Andromeda Gold iems. I am at the age where I want great sound and many of the creature comforts/ergonomics as well. Bothe the N6 and the 2000 give me that. I also have a Dethonray DTR1, which sounds great, but is more of a PITA to use, even though it is very small and light. I've heard the N8 at shows, and liked it, but the P6 intrigues me. But, I know myself, and I am not sure ii want to go back to the Hifiman 901/Questyle QP1R (which I also still own both of) way to chose music. I listen to mostly albums, and want them to play in correct order. I like relying on metadata for that, rather than track numbers in the name of the file itself/.

At home, I use Roon and Bluesound for listeing to stored contyent, as well as Tidal and Qobuz.... and I have desktop stuff and headphones for that-portable stuff is only for walking around and coffee shops, if we ever have them again.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #148 of 3,960
improvement? YES YES and SUPER YES. BIG improvement. Go get it. You will be very happy with it. Honestly for an extra $500 over the R2R2K. It’s a no brainer and it sounds so much better. Even though the user interface is basic. It forces you to organize your music into better categories.

BTW, I dropped by Romi Audio to demo a modded Sony WM1Z. Dino noticed I had the P6 and asked how it sounded. So I happily let both Dino and Johnny demo the unit. About 20 minutes later they both gave it a thumbs up and said it was the best sounding R2R dap in the market today. Then Johnny asked if I was interested in modding the P6 and I said sure why not. A few minutes later Dino was taking apart the P6 with such enthusiasm and precision like a kid with a new toy for Christmas. I left the unit at Romi Audio and Dino said he would get back to me on what he could do. Knowing him, he’s studying the P6 at midnight and tinkering with it now and dreaming of shielding, capacitors, wires, soldering, batteries and such sorts.

Dino rocks!!! Imagine if he could also optimize or change fw in addition to hardware? :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #149 of 3,960
Well, since I'm in P6 thread, might as well share a few pictures of what DHL just dropped off on my rainy doorstep.

And yes, the "luxury" and "precision" in P6 refers to build quality and internal design. For those familiar with L&P, interface is minimalistic without any "luxury", and P6 is non-touch screen, but you can navigate using volume wheel and Enter/Return buttons on the right side or enable navigation using playback control play/pause/skip buttons on the left side, or enable to use both at the same time. A little bit of a learning curve since we are creatures of a touch screen habit, but I kind of got used to it already. Will keep it on burn in over the weekend. Out of the box, the sound is very analog and spacious, very analog like. But not jumping into any conclusions until I have 1250 burn-in hours on it.... OK, maybe not 1250, but a few hundred burn in hours might be good before sharing impressions :wink:

LP_P6-x01.jpgLP_P6-x02.jpgLP_P6-x03.jpgLP_P6-x04.jpgLP_P6-x05.jpgLP_P6-x06.jpgLP_P6-x07.jpgLP_P6-x08.jpgLP_P6-x09.jpgLP_P6-x10.jpgLP_P6-x11.jpgLP_P6-x12.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #150 of 3,960
P6 looks more and more appealing as days go by but with R8 around the corner, and the fact I can get the Hugo2 and 2go for the same price as P6, making the right decision couldn't be any harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back