Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #946 of 3,978
Will there be any harm listening to IEM over the balanced line output instead of headphone amplifier output as it sounds much more dynamic? Although I have to bring down the volume every time I restart the device, I prefer
balanced line out for IEM listening.

Don't see why not. Yeah, that's the whole point of line output to use external amp so line out is usually at max setting in daps cause many amps usually use their own volume control. I like how in P6/pro and LPGT line out could be adjusted, like a pre-amp when you use with powerful amps like BX2. And I guess it makes sense for P6/pro to go into max output every time you restarted it since this is a default for line out.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #947 of 3,978
#The PRO is Coming #The Core Technology of Luxury&Precision's P6 Pro – FPGA Applications

Previously, we introduced one of the core components of the P6 Pro: high-precision matched resistors. In this article, we will discuss another critical part -- the Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)

About three years ago, when we worked on the LP6 series, FPGA chips were still relatively unfamiliar to many audiophiles. At that time, we wrote three articles about FPGAs that briefly introduced their powerful functionalities and applications. With the release of the LP6 series that utilized large-scale industrial-grade FPGA from Intel, the word "FPGA" is no longer unfamiliar. The increasing application of FPGAs in other music players even create an impression that FPGA embed is equivalent to high performance. Due to many queries from audiophile communities about FPGA used in P6 Pro, let us dive into the answers in detail below.

1.jpg

FPGA≠High Performance

Luxury&Precision has used FPGA as a part of the high-precision and low-phase noise clock source since its first product – LP5, and used it for I2S protocol decoding as well. Later products, including the L series of L5, L3, L6, and L4, high-end LP6, P6 series, and new ultra-portable W series, all have built-in FPGAs. However, FPGA is just a programmable or expandable chip used in digital processing rather than analog components that are more closely related to sound quality, such as resistors, filter capacitors, and amplifiers. Implementation of FPGAs does not represent high performance at the sound quality level. Thus, it is a groundless misconception that "a player with FPGA is a high-end player."

2.jpg

FPGA=High Potential

FPGA chips' presence does not mean that the player has high performance and good listening experience, but the ability to implement FPGA applications reflects the design capability of a manufacturer. FPGA in P6 Pro mainly undertakes the following 7 tasks:

1. Linear compensation of discrete R-2R DAC;
2. Low-level logic processing of discrete R-2R DAC;
3. S/PDIF OUT function;
4. I2S protocol decoding and recoding;
5. The high-precision and low-phase noise external clock connected to the FPGA is used as the master clock and feed to the discrete R2R DAC, which is generally referred to as "FPGA MASTER";
6. The high-precision and low-phase noise external clock connected to the FPGA is used as the main clock and feed to the Bluetooth module;
7. Use FPGA built-in DSP resources to do high-performance digital processing for specifically customized sound tuning and optimization of different earphones.

The listed functions above are "indirectly" contributes to the distortion and sound, which plays a significant role in overall performance.

3.jpg

FPGA≠Marketing Gimmick

Although most of our team members have technical backgrounds, they are also audiophiles who love music. In order to play music on the go with outstanding acoustic and musicality, we focus on DAP optimization by utilizing the power of FPGAs. It can be said that the experience in the development and use of FPGAs is a valuable asset of Luxury&Precision. After 4 years of R&D, the LP6 series has established a partnership with Intel to have an ultra-large-scale FPGA embedded. Our in-depth utilization of the FPGA has been recognized and appreciated by the most discerning audiophiles with pick tastes. According to Mr. Wan, we were "experienced and professional" in handling large-scale FPGAs to release their full potentials even before the development of the P6 Pro.

4.jpg

MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #949 of 3,978
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #950 of 3,978
I've noticed a weird behavior since using my LP6, certain headphones cause me to use the EQ functions. That is really weird since I almost NEVER use EQ. Not since the '70s when I had graphic equalizers in my cars. Specifically with the Empyrean I've added a little high end and with the HD800 I've added a little bass. But, this little machine is phenomenal sounding even without the EQ. And of course the Empy and the HD800 have way different signatures regardless and no amount of EQ is going to make them sound the same and why would anyone want that?

Just a random observation.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #951 of 3,978
Finally, P6 Pro review is done! For those who are interested, please enjoy the read. The focus of the review was on new P6 Pro features, comparison between P6 Pro and P6 as well as P6 Pro and LP6 Gold, and pair up examples of various IEMs including the comparison of each paired up with P6 Pro and P6.

LP-P6pro-07.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #952 of 3,978
Finally, P6 Pro review is done! For those who are interested, please enjoy the read. The focus of the review was on new P6 Pro features, comparison between P6 Pro and P6 as well as P6 Pro and LP6 Gold, and pair up examples of various IEMs including the comparison of each paired up with P6 Pro and P6.

LP-P6pro-07.jpg
Wow! Thanks for all the works and well written comparisons/impressions !!! For anyone who loves technologies, they should get both the P6Pro and LP6Gold :)!!! Both are R2R for digital players with one being discrete and 1 with IC chips based. So much innovations coming from mainland China in the modern worlds, even in this niche hobby, the Chinese isn’t slowing down. I can’t imagine what else is out there that they are eagerly to continue their innovation, creativities, and inventions !!! For all of what China has been doing, the world seem standing still

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #953 of 3,978

Excellent review that covers every point, as an owner i found it very useful and informative, 200 hours cannot come quickly enough.
Also, now you made a clear mention of the file sorting i have a good feeling about them addressing it.
As you said it, other than that there's nothing to complain about, id hate it if someone says "but i can't see full screen artwork" or similar😆😅
They have come a long way indeed and i have zero regrets spending a crazy amount on it, it's worth it!

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #954 of 3,978
Excellent review that covers every point, as an owner i found it very useful and informative, 200 hours cannot come quickly enough.
Also, now you made a clear mention of the file sorting i have a good feeling about them addressing it.
As you said it, other than that there's nothing to complain about, id hate it if someone says "but i can't see full screen artwork" or similar😆😅
They have come a long way indeed and i have zero regrets spending a crazy amount on it, it's worth it!

Well, I have been reviewing L&P DAPs for 4+ years now, and... have mentioned file sorting and using DriveSort util in most of my reviews :D They are taking small steps, but at least it shows they are listening. BT Rx with LDAC support in P6/Pro is a biggie, even LP6 Gold/Ti doesn't support that. And so does finally being able to touch swipe through a song to fast forward, even if it is a smaller area for swiping - I still take it!!! I hope with more people outside of mainland China getting their hands on these DAPs, L&P will pay closer attention to feedback from their international customers and hopefully we will see more updates and improvements related to the interface. Other than that, nothing much to complain about. It's a solid device with a solid design and a solid audio performance.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #956 of 3,978
Just ordered the P6 Pro today! Should have it before the weekend! Very excited to hear it, and hopefully have it complement the LPGT
Fab, welcome and id love to hear your comments, i find it has an addictive sound with all my iems and cans👍

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #957 of 3,978
This good old mechanical wonder has never ever been beaten by a DAP..until now? For sure this R2R dap is the closest its ever been, but when you think how simple this Sony is and the price of P6Pro and the years that it took..
Still, i am beyond happy honeymoon guy😆🎶

20210108_174815.jpg

Nice, I still have the same CD Walkman!

I'm really getting the itch for P6Pro... Yggy for my desktop, P6Pro for portable!

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #959 of 3,978
Nice, I still have the same CD Walkman!

I'm really getting the itch for P6Pro... Yggy for my desktop, P6Pro for portable!
Its a hard pill to swallow financially but it sounds incredible and its made super well and light, can't think of a better package with similar sound

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #960 of 3,978
Its a hard pill to swallow financially but it sounds incredible and its made super well and light, can't think of a better package with similar sound

Somehow I am more confident in investing in this than the more popular expensive brand. I find value in the good tech here and also from a small shop (is it?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back