Interesting but unfortunate dilemma, need suggestions
Jul 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JamesH

New Head-Fier
So I've had my HD 555's for about two years now and the 3.5mm adapter was a little bent. Have been using them lately on my laptop with no DAC or AMP etc. Unplugged them and noticed that the tip is completely lodged inside of my headphone jack. I spent some time trying to take it out but in the end I'll just mess up my input even more.

Literally the only sound equipment that I own that I consider professional or at least better than average are my HD 555's. Lately I've been looking at things like the HD 580, HD 600, DT770/80, and a few Grados I don't recall the model number of. The last week or so before this happened I've been listening to more techno and realized that, while I enjoy the sound of my HD 555's, it's just not too good with the bass and I became slightly "bored" of the sound. Overall they are still great to me and I'd still use them, but now I'm interested in a USB DAC/AMP as I currently cannot even plug any headphones into my laptop's motherboard. I've been looking at Little Dots, Zero Dac Amp, Aune, uDAC, etc. All in all, I definitley do want a desktop dac/amp that will serve me now for my HD 555's, and will be a great fit for my upgrade.

At this point I really don't know for sure what I want to upgrade to though, but I do know that I want more bass with a similar sound to the HD 555 and that these headphones cannot only excel in one area, ie. great for highs only, etc. They need to be balanced like the HD 555 but with more bass and preferably something ideal for female vocals as that is most of my music.

I guess this topic really fits two categories and I apologize for asking for so much but I basically need a suggestion for a good dac/amp until I upgrade and that the same dac/amp will drive the upgrade well. DAC/AMP must have a USB input as I mentioned before about my broken jack.

I'd say I'm willing to spend at the very most $220 or so on the desktop amp. But much preferably around $150.

As for the headphones, $300 the most but preferably lower of course. These will be bought some time in the coming months as I don't have the money now, I clearly do need a DAC/AMP first as my current source is broken and it only makes sense if that same amp serves me well with my new cans.

Thank you very much.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 3
For amps, you are limited.  Try the Fiio E7 thread, or the uDAC.  I am pretty impressed with the uDAC.  I'm only mentioning the E7 based off of the huge thread where everyone loves it.  The smallest "real" amp that I'm seeing good reviews about are at least $250.  Those would be something like the Schiit and the M-Stage.

About your headphones, don't trash your cans based off of a little tip!  At the very least, sell them on the forums here.  If you want more life out of them, buy yourself a new Neutrik connector online, go to an electrician, and have him weld on the tip for $10-$15.  That is such a small thing to trash headphones over.

If you really want new headphones, and that is the smallest amount you are willing to spend on an amp, there is a problem.  You can either commission someone here to sell you a DIY amp (which, if built competently, is just as competent, if not better, than mass-made headphone amps), but it will go up to the top of your price range.  If you're not willing to really get into it with amps, then you can cross off anything with 300-600 Ohm impedance.  So, either really increase your price range, in which you can have close to your dream setup ($350 for HD600 on Amazon right now) and get yourself an amp that's been proven to be more than half-competent with your amp.  You may have to increase your budget on that too, though.

The other option is to get lower impedance cans.  If you want open ear, I can definitely recommend something like the AKG K240 and uDAC.  Best sound you'll get for $200.  Or get 32 Ohm DT880 and an E7.  If you really want cheap, djdeals.com has hfi-700 for $130 shipped.  It all depends on how deep you're willing to go.  Myself, I'm happy with the phones in my sig.  I am not going to upgrade unless I run across some killer deals.  So, get mid-fi and be happy, or upgrade all the way now.  If you get HD600 for $350 and that good amp, the next step will be the $1,400 HD800.  The only thing that will keep you second-guessing is your wallet.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 3
It's clear the sound you really want is out of your price range so I suggest you save up for now and just get a cheap USB DAC / sound card to replace your laptop's input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back