Interesting Article about why HD DVD & Blu Ray Will Fail
Jun 25, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yeah, that is the world - early. This is early adoption territory. Prices will be high, but don't discount the hdtv market. That train is rolling steady and almost @ critical mass.

Last weekend, I had the chance to watch two HD-DVD's movies through a Sony SXRD. We viewed Apollo 13 and The Last Samurai.

TBO, the improvement was minimal. His set-up was perfectly calibrated as well. If there was a gain due to HD-DVD (not his awesome t.v.), for me it in no way justified the cost and trouble; about the only thing the high rez did was expose artifacts on the film. Something I enjoy
rolleyes.gif
with my own upsampling system.

Once we see 50" plasmas under the $2000 point we will see HDTV and related technologies take hold of the market. Until then they are too expensive for most people. I agree with the minimal gain in PQ with HD-DVD/Blu Ray. Just not in the same league as going from SD to HDTV IMO.

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
2 words. Flash memory
biggrin.gif
. Usb sticks, etc.

With faster and broader wireless internet and remote computing, even those will go obsolete in less than 10 years.

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 25
Perhaps HD-DVD and Bluray are not actually competing for share in the home market, but rather as a method of transferring film stock to movie theatres and between editing suites in a more secure physical medium rather than (perhaps) more easily pirateable data streams.

Sure, they are looking to develop them for home markets if its feasible, but like with DSD and SACD, maybe if the home market fails, they will have a format for transferring movie images in high resolution format and for archival purposes.

Just a thought.

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 25
I agree with this article. I just don't think there's enough improvement here for people to spend additional money. I don't see any point in spending money on something that may not be supported in five years.

I think we're going to start seeing finer and finer resolutions in the next few years. A 17" monitor may have 2560x2048 resolution instead of 1280x1024. Maybe not that high, but you can still see the graininess fo individual pixels on a screen. Sooner or later, they're going to push resolution to a photorealistic standard, and it's going to be cheap.

When that happens (and it will) 1080p isn't going to looks so great any more, and we're going to get another format shoved on us. Personally, I think we're going to get this in the next few years. 30" monitors can't physicaly get much bigger, however, there is still plenty of room left for resolution.

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 25
UHDV! So photorealistic it made people nauseous!

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
someday lp records will be playable an infinate number of times with no opbservable wear, 74 or 80 miniutes SINGLE SIDED!!!, and a very low noise floor.

then the cd was born... initally it was AWSOME, but it was used to compress, and make things hot with too much bass thrown in for good measure.

a couple "improved" "cd" formats have emerged throught the years, none of which cought on, although all did make substantial gains over the previous.

i predict a similar efect for the various "high grade tv sets and media." the advantage that the various "high grade video" has over cd is that it is a change that apears more liek "evolution of the format" by necessity than an improvement on a solid design.

people are by and large happy watching crappy quality films, jsut as they are by and large happy listening to poorly mixed music. if they can be convinced that the old format is "inadequate" then change will happen.

Your analogy doesn't seem to fit in my mind. The way I see it, LP's were the big thing until CD's were announced. People jumped on the CD bandwagon and it's the biggest media format available today.

You like LP's better because you as an audiophile KNOW the quality is better. However, millions upon millions of people would argue with you and say CD's sound better simply because they don't know any better. Just the other day a girl said to me, and I quote, "Did you know they are making record players again?" All I could do was laugh.

I think if they can sucessfully advertise Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, then it will take off, but I think the big win or loss will rely heavily on advertising. If they can make consumers THINK they need it or make them THINK this is the next big thing, then it will really take off.

Another point, when I worked in retail at Walmart people were constantly asking where they could find the Ipod's. I found out later that generally didn't know anything about Ipod's or what they did. They were simply looking for a MP3 player, but the average person heard "iPod" so much that they assumed iPod was the name of the product and not a specific brand name.

Another example is the PS3. It's not *that much* better than an XBOX 360 or a custom PC, yet people will spend $600 USD when it's released just because they feel like they need it.

It may not take off at inital release but I do think within 5 years it will be the standard.

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Another example is the PS3. It's not *that much* better than an XBOX 360 or a custom PC, yet people will spend $600 USD when it's released just because they feel like they need it.

And here I thought most people were gonna buy it for the unique playstation-only titles.
tongue.gif

(just pokin' fun)

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Most plasmas can't even take advantage of 1080P.

Not a big deal..Trust me.. Unless you have a 56inch or bigger Screen, & sit 3FT away you aren't going to notice the extra resolution anyways. & if your TV has a great deinterlacer it even matters less..

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yeah, that is the world - early. This is early adoption territory. Prices will be high, but don't discount the hdtv market. That train is rolling steady and almost @ critical mass.

Last weekend, I had the chance to watch two HD-DVD's movies through a Sony SXRD. We viewed Apollo 13 and The Last Samurai.

TBO, the improvement was minimal. His set-up was perfectly calibrated as well. If there was a gain due to HD-DVD (not his awesome t.v.), for me it in no way justified the cost and trouble; about the only thing the high rez did was expose artifacts on the film. Something I enjoy
rolleyes.gif
with my own upsampling system.

Then ther is something wrong..Read online reviews of how great HD DVDs look.They are stunning..Maybe your friend was running in 720p, which is considerably softer then 1080i..I'm an advid AVSer & everyone there is stunned by the picture Quality..& these are videophiles..

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 25
Wow - I wonder if this guy was reading my old forum posts. I made many of his comments months ago (search around if you must, they're on here and AVSForums somewhere).

I agree that HD-DVD / Blu Ray are screwed. I don't think they'll fail, but I don't see them taking off either. For example, casettes were mine and my friends' format of choice well into the 90's, and the mixtape scene kept them popular even up to 2000 for us! My parents didn't get a DVD player until 2002-ish.

The DVD revolution just completed a few years ago. When I first moves to SF in 2001 the local video stores were 80% VHS. It wasn't until around 2002-2003 that VHS was officially obsolete. Now 3-ish years later you're gonna start over? I don't think so.

I could go on, but you get the point. Doomed to fail? That's going too far. But it's not going to make as big of a splash as some might think.

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back