Interesting Article about why HD DVD & Blu Ray Will Fail
Jun 23, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 25
Once I was smart enough to buy 2 Betamax VCRs.
confused.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 25
I agree with this article whole-heartedly, especially reason 7 regarding HDTVs. One of the reasons both formats will have a hard time getting off the ground is because you need an HDTV to take advantage of them, which many people still can't afford. With regular DVD's, all you had to do was hook it up to your existing set. Although I own a plasma TV, I'm in no rush to buy either of these formats.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
I agree with this article whole-heartedly, especially reason 7 regarding HDTVs. One of the reasons both formats will have a hard time getting off the ground is because you need an HDTV to take advantage of them, which many people still can't afford. With regular DVD's, all you had to do was hook it up to your existing set. Although I own a plasma TV, I'm in no rush to buy either of these formats.

Most plasmas can't even take advantage of 1080P.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 25
This is an interesting weak point of capitalism, that according to theory is the superior driver of innovation among economic models. If a company cannot realize enough profit quickly enough for a minimal investment, it is deemed not worthy to proceed with the innovation even if it brings tangible benefits. It's a pity really. I think HDTV ownners would really love to have more high definition content for their new sets, but unreasonable desire for exclusivity and profit is choking the baby in the crib.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 25
Not enough of an installed base of HDTFs for this stuff to take off. Plus the price is crazy. I will not early adopt this time out. Nice read though.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Not enough of an installed base of HDTFs for this stuff to take off. Plus the price is crazy. I will not early adopt this time out. Nice read though.

Yeah... if the first players (toshiba i.e.) came out and were rather good and to say the least -- not about to be pioneered when newer players come out with higher resolution support and that type of stuff, and if they were maybe under 300-400 dollars, and more and more movies were available for them (especially at my local video store), maybe then I'de consider buying one now. As for format wars, right now... SA-CD and DVD-A really frusterate me. What frusterates me even more is how Sony just spits it out in the publics face -- we won't support DVD-A, and we know that because all of their players do not support dvd-a.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 25
Eventually, higher definition in movies and music will be mainstream. If I had a time machine and traveled 300 years into the future, I am willing to bet that a typical music format will be superior to standard cd and a movie format will be better than standard DVD. Speakers will be the same size basically because the laws of physics of sound waves will remain the same. I think it would be impossible to create floor speakers the size of a dime.

In my opinion, a great format would be in the form of a card that would resemble a single thin stick of gum. This gum stick would be the format for music and movies in super high definition. A singer/artist could release a new album a gum stick or a new movie could be purchased as a gum stick. Storage would be so easy. I know this sounds weird but don't be surprised if something like this happens many years from now in your old age.....Yes you heard it here for the first time at Head-Fi!

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Eventually, higher definition in movies and music will be mainstream. If I had a time machine and traveled 300 years into the future, I am willing to bet that a typical music format will be superior to standard cd and a movie format will be better than standard DVD. Speakers will be the same size basically because the laws of physics of sound waves will remain the same. I think it would be impossible to create floor speakers the size of a dime.

In my opinion, a great format would be in the form of a card that would resemble a single thin stick of gum. This gum stick would be the format for music and movies in super high definition. A singer/artist could release a new album a gum stick or a new movie could be purchased as a gum stick. Storage would be so easy. I know this sounds weird but don't be surprised if something like this happens many years from now in your old age.....Yes you heard it here for the first time at Head-Fi!

2 words. Flash memory
biggrin.gif
. Usb sticks, etc.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
What frusterates me even more is how Sony just spits it out in the publics face -- we won't support DVD-A, and we know that because all of their players do not support dvd-a.

I think SACD is not even to be found on Sony's site anymore. At least I read that somewhere. I hate proprietary crap. And I agree with you on Sony trying to get everyone on the Blu Ray bandwagon. I recall hearing about Blue lasers when DVD was first coming out. You would think Sony would learn a lesson from those Betamax days.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

someday lp records will be playable an infinate number of times with no opbservable wear, 74 or 80 miniutes SINGLE SIDED!!!, and a very low noise floor.

then the cd was born... initally it was AWSOME, but it was used to compress, and make things hot with too much bass thrown in for good measure.

a couple "improved" "cd" formats have emerged throught the years, none of which cought on, although all did make substantial gains over the previous.

i predict a similar efect for the various "high grade tv sets and media." the advantage that the various "high grade video" has over cd is that it is a change that apears more liek "evolution of the format" by necessity than an improvement on a solid design.

people are by and large happy watching crappy quality films, jsut as they are by and large happy listening to poorly mixed music. if they can be convinced that the old format is "inadequate" then change will happen.

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
people are by and large happy watching crappy quality films, jsut as they are by and large happy listening to poorly mixed music. if they can be convinced that the old format is "inadequate" then change will happen.

Eh. I'm happy watching DVD on a consumer-grade Sony DVD player connected to a consumer-grade receiver, midlevel headphones, and a 20" SDTV. Perhaps it's because I have little money, but this is adequate enough for me; I just don't see the justification of spending $10,000+ just to watch a movie every week or so. It'd be great to visit someone else with that kind of setup though...

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

They are working on that something like that right now- it's about as thick as a 5-pack of gum or an iPod shuffle, I would think. I don't know the exact details, but I heard that this form of storage is holographic; developers figured out how to index multiple layers of clear material (not sure if it's glass or plastic or what) so that they could fit several layers(pages) of data into a small space and read accordingly. I wish I had more definitive info though...

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Not enough of an installed base of HDTFs for this stuff to take off. Plus the price is crazy. I will not early adopt this time out.

Yeah, that is the world - early. This is early adoption territory. Prices will be high, but don't discount the hdtv market. That train is rolling steady and almost @ critical mass.

Last weekend, I had the chance to watch two HD-DVD's movies through a Sony SXRD. We viewed Apollo 13 and The Last Samurai.

TBO, the improvement was minimal. His set-up was perfectly calibrated as well. If there was a gain due to HD-DVD (not his awesome t.v.), for me it in no way justified the cost and trouble; about the only thing the high rez did was expose artifacts on the film. Something I enjoy
rolleyes.gif
with my own upsampling system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back