Intelligent Hip-Hop; Recommendations
Feb 24, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
DJ Common should fit the bill. Check out 'Like Water for Choclate' & 'Be'

It's just Common .. no DJ.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 71
Ive never purchased anything by Pharcyde or MF Doom...
I know Pharcyde is old school; what kind of Hip-Hop are both of these?
Heard a bit of Atmosphere today and its got a darker feel to it, which I like.
These guys similar?

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum
I've heard "remember the name" and it was pretty good. I hear the rest of the album is pretty solid. Mike holds up pretty well against real rappers.

IMHO, In terms of 'intelligent hip hop', I don't think Fort Minor ranks particularly high. The beats are nice, the guests are great (black thought, common, to name a couple), and the content is much better than a lot of crap out there, but I feel the lyrics still have that Linkin Park feel to them: somewhat over-emotional/self involved... and some of the ryhmes are pretty mickey-mouse. That said, I still really enjoy the album and think the beats are great and production is pretty nice. I'd be curious to hear what else Style of Beyond have got kicking around...

Personally though, it's not on the same level as Aesop, Illogic, MF doom, Cage, Mos Def, Kweli, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc etc.

Definitely worth checking out though.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Just breakin ba**s.

Well if you want to keep on braking-balls.....here are mine.....Is there any intelligent Hi-Hop???........Just a joke, sorry I couldn't resist.....LOL....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #37 of 71
Definately if you want some electronica type hip hop The Streets is awesome. Its very UK Garage type stuff (if your into it there is So Solid Crew also which is very much bassy, gangster garage.)

Roots Manuva -Dont think he has been mentioned.

Roni Size-In The Mode -This album is Awesome.
Its Drum and Bass (Real dirty stuff) Method Man from Wu Tang Clan guests on one track.
Its very much hip hop inspired Drum and bass.

As far as coscious goes Lyrics Born, Lateef the Truth Speaker are both really good.

Oh and I heard the newest Slick Rick album today, I thought it was awesome.
Good to hear his buttery smooth voice still in effect.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #38 of 71
lyrics born has the tightest fastest delivery ever. yes including twista. Twista doesn't rap fast, its just his lip movement and overpronunciation make it seem that way. Sure its faster than normal but it aint nothing mind blowing

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #39 of 71
I saw Blackalicious here in Auckland a few months ago.
Couldnt believe some of the stuff Gab was coming out with.
He is incredible.
I will tell you someone to look out for, I have only heard him the 2 DJ Format albums, but it is Abdominal
He has some of the most impressive breath control I have ever heard.
Im pretty sure he can hold his breath for 20 minutes
biggrin.gif

And he has such fun rhymes too. Nothing too political or deep, but really clever and funny.

(By the way, its so refreshing to see a good thread about some really good Hip Hop.
I read a thread on another forum I go on called "Who is the best rapper alive?"
So far I think The Game is winning...tedious) Thank god for Head-fi

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

don't even bother getting talib (unless it's like his first or blackstar with mos def) he fell off and his last album "the beautiful struggle" sucked really bad, more like the ugly struggle of his declining state (yes it was that bad at least to me) i couldn't even listen to it all the way smh

Yea, Beautiful Struggle wasn't nearly good as his other stuff. However, Quality is solid, just slightly different from Reflection Eternal. And his newest, Right About Now, is actually really good.

I don't know what albums you already have, but I'd definitely pick these up if you can:

Blackstar - Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are...
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Common - Resurrection
Talib Kweli - Reflection Eternal
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Little Brother - Minstrel Show
Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
Murs - 3:16 The 9th Edition
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control

Well, that's what first came to mind.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #41 of 71
Some have been mentioned, but for emphasis:

Mos Def and Talib Kweli - Black Star
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

Are perhaps the best hip-hop albums ever made.

Also try:

Cyne - Evolution Fight
Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #45 of 71
i noticed you said you liked some of the darker atmosphere. in this case you should try out the songs
'travel'
'the outernet'
'430am'
'1597'
'current status'
and the compilation album 'homework vol 1'
being from the twin, i've heard about all atmosphere has to offer 10 times over since the start, and they've really fallen off ever since se7ens travels, unless you like the 'loud shouting in your face' version of slug.

dose one is an artist that i didnt see mentioned. he's another white guy with skills much like slugs, he just hasn't gotten the exposure. 'inventors cry' is a vastly underrated dark, underground hip hop song..
heres his myspace, check out 'etherial downtime', another classic.
http://www.myspace.com/doseonesisaweirdo

though you may have trouble finding some of the above mentioned in stores, and um, another resort to finding music may be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back