Intelligent Hip-Hop; Recommendations
Jan 7, 2006 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Havent bought any new Hip-Hop in a long time.
Would like some recommendations based on the following that already have and love:

1)Roots Manuva
2)The Roots
3)Blackalicious
4)Beatnuts
5)Tribe

I prefer smart, intelligent Hip-Hop to Gangster Rap, although I own and adore every Mobb Deep, Dre, Snoop, Gangstarr, etc.
IS there anything out these days that is really blowing peoples minds? Maybe artists that utilize some electronic in their music (not a must).
Heres a couple that ive heard good things about:

1)Cannibal Ox
2)Aesop Rock
3)Atmosphere
4)MF Doom
5)Dizee Rascal
6)Atmosphere
7)Deltron 3030

Any of these must haves?
Could you explain the styles of Hip-Hop?
Thnx.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 71
I don't know anything about hip-hop, but I do have Aesop Rock's Labor Days.. and I like it.

It's actually the only hip-hop album in my entire collection, lol.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
I don't know anything about hip-hop, but I do have Aesop Rock's Labor Days.. and I like it.

It's actually the only hip-hop album in my entire collection, lol.

Dude, you have a problem just not answering my threads.
You just had to post something, couldnt leave this thread to the people who actually have something to contribute.
tongue.gif

Just breakin ba**s.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
couldnt leave this thread to the people who actually have something to contribute.
tongue.gif

lol.. well, I figured that praise for a hip-hop album coming from somebody that really doesn't like hip-hop at all might mean something.

though actually, I guess it doesn't mean much at all, eh?
580smile.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 71
Your list and the "potential" list compiled is pretty good. Im a big fan of most of those except Atmosphere which i always found overated. If you want some MF Doom I suggest Vaudeville Villain which I believe is better than Madvillainy (still a great album). As for style Doom has a rather slow delivery but always intelligent and humorous lyrics. Edan's new album "Beauty and the Beat" is the best thirty minutes of hip-hop this year. It has a little bit of rock influence but Edan has a nice agressive flow with some amazing sampling done (i.e. pink floyd, arik einstein). Might be short but it is extremely potent. Some other suggestions would be: j-live, sage francis, mr. lif, the perceptionists (includes lif).

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 71
I'm a big fan of Jurassic 5. Quality Control & Power In Numbers are both excellent albums. I'd say they could be right up your alley. From top to bottom, rhymes to bass, they're great albums.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 71
1. Murs - The Ninth Edition (another one i recommend getting, Murs is also apart of the Living Legends)
2. Atmosphere/Slug (wear's his heart on his sleeve, metaphors, relationships, analogies, lot of "women" themes throughout his music, get a glimpse of what's inside his head much more than perhaps other hip hop artists, has been labeled "emo-hop" but i refuse to call it that as it is stupid, people either love it or hate it)
3. Little Brother - The Listenining (hails from North Carolina, pretty chilled/relaxed/cool/smooth beats with conscious lyrics)
4. K-OS (hails from Canada, somewhat different than your typical hip hop as far as sound goes)
5. Colossus - (i HIGHLY recommend this, made a thread a long time ago, no one took a bite, hails from San Francisco/Bay Area, they're hip hop, funk and jazz)
6. Living Legends (hey what can ya say they really are legends in a way, pretty well known, especially in cali, just do a google search)
7. One Be Lo (don't know much about him, however people seem to rave about him a lot lately)
8. Paris (a touch of gangsta with intelligence i guess you could say book smart and street smart all in one, "political" as well)
9. Doctor Octogon/Kool Keith (he goes by a lot of names, very good definitely has his own unique style)
10. Abstract Rude (another one i recommend, hails from L.A.)
11. Zion-I (another one i HIGHLY recommend, i love all there stuff it's really cool laid back "bay area" hip hop, you just get that vibe from them)
12. Eternia (hails from Canada very good mc imo, just straight good hip hop really)

i could name more, but i'm sure that's enough for now
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 71
I am by no means an expert on hip-hop. Sometimes I'm not even sure what it is. I have a couple of The Roots albums. I particularly like "Phrenology." But last year someone recommended that I check out "The Streets." It was described to me as "British Hip-Hop" and I love it. The album called "Original Pirate Material" is my personal favorite. The lyrics are great. I would characterize it as intelligent British Hip-Hop.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 71
A lot of good suggestions here already... some that I would second/third and some that haven't been mentioned:

Atmosphere - Old Atmosphere is fantastic, but God Loves Ugly and the Lucy Ford EP's are fun!
Sage Francis - There's another thread about him. Personal Journals is unbelievable.
Murs - 3:16!!
Living Legends - Creative Differences
Madvillian/Madlib/Jaylib - You have to hear it to believe it...
MF Doom - Anybody that does an album around Adult Swim is beyond cool.
Dr. Octagon -
Zion I - Listen to "The Bay"
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - This is one of the smartest hip-hop albums ever made. Transforming the Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles into a song about Pete Wilson... It's one of the best.
Jurassic Five - you gotta love 'em.
Busdriver - A unique rapping style. It's crazy.
El-P - Fun...
People Under the Stairs - OST... a throwback to the early days of underground hip-hop
K-Os - The Love Song is one of the best hip-hop singles. Catchy, but not irritating!
Eyedea and Abilities - Like Atmosphere, he became angry in his later years, but the early stuff is great.

Enjoy!!!

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 71
Ok this is what I'm talking about! Time to spread the Canadian Hip-hop Love!

In order of MY personal Favorites:
1. DL Incognito (Ontario)
2.Kyprios (Vanvouver)
3.SweatShop Union (Vancouver/BC)
4.Moka Only (Victoria)
5.Swollen Members (BC)
6. Classified (Halifax)
7. MicCheck (Monteal(french))
8.K-os (Van) (i think)
9.J-Bizzy ( Halifax)
10. Haku Da'Ta (NOT Canadian but need to be on the top ten list) Ab Rude/Mikenike/ACalone

Check em out and let me know what you think.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaireboy
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - This is one of the smartest hip-hop albums ever made. Transforming the Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles into a song about Pete Wilson... It's one of the best.

yeah that's another one, btw and fyi do you know michael franti once apart of disposable has his own thing now? michael franti and spearhead? just wondering if you've heard any of his stuff

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
10. Haku Da'Ta (NOT Canadian but need to be on the top ten list) Ab Rude/Mikenike/ACalone

i mentioned abstract rude or ab rude as a solo artist, but just to clear some things up for better searching/finds...this is Ab Rude under a group Haiku D'Etat, in which you have Ab Rude himself, Aceyalone, and Mikah 9 and he also has another group called ATU = A Tribe Unique

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
yeah that's another one, btw and fyi do you know michael franti once apart of disposable has his own thing now? michael franti and spearhead? just wondering if you've heard any of his stuff

Yeah... I actually saw Spearhead right after Disposable broke up. Not into it. He's more soul than hip-hop now. It's not bad, but it feels like it lost the edge.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
Ok this is what I'm talking about! Time to spread the Canadian Hip-hop Love!

In order of MY personal Favorites:
1. DL Incognito (Ontario)
2.Kyprios (Vanvouver)
3.SweatShop Union (Vancouver/BC)
4.Moka Only (Victoria)
5.Swollen Members (BC)
6. Classified (Halifax)
7. MicCheck (Monteal(french))
8.K-os (Van) (i think)
9.J-Bizzy ( Halifax)

Check em out and let me know what you think.

Can't forget Buck 65. I think he's from Halifax...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back