Intelligent Hip-Hop; Recommendations
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 71
I like:

Eyedea & Abilities (i would say its more psychadelic hiphop and i better not get any crap for it)

Atmosphere (lucy ford; god loves ugly etc)

Immortal Technique (really political/social... if you dont like his views you wont like his music so maybe you should check out some lyrics first
smily_headphones1.gif
.. however i love it)

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #47 of 71
also check out:
Platinum Pied Pipers
Baby Blak
Pete Philly & Perquisite
Sergio Mendes - Timeless

edit: just discovered another new artist, sounds pretty good so far:
Othello - Elevator Music

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #48 of 71
new one here that I have just been bumpin to lately

O.C.- Smoke and Mirrors

I have had this for a while and just recently started listening to it. I can't get enough of it. Seriously one of the best albums I have heard in a while. I have read that his first album was better than this release so I can't even imagine that. The rhymes are fairly solid, nothing revolutionary though, but I think the production on this album is top notch. Every song has just got me movin. No crazy weird beats that just throw me off. Just nice good music to chill too. I don't have to think about it or really listen to it all that much

Yeah I'm talking to you Immortal and Dr. Octagon

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Saul Williams.

DAMNIT

I was reading patiently through the thread and thinking, nobody has mentioned Saul Williams yet?

Anyways, I don't have much to add as hip hop isn't really my thing. I like a fair amount of what it has to offer though and as such I listen to many types of music that take something from hip hop. [trip hop, illbient, asian underground, etc]

That said, I love Tribe Called Quest and will probably check out some of the stuff in this thread.
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #51 of 71
50 Cent... just playin around. I hate 50 accually. But hmmm... intelligent... a lot of my music is hip hop but not much very "intelligent" hip hop

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #52 of 71
Kind of a proto-PC band but, The Disposable Hereos of Hiphoprisy, made you think and kicked some butt back in the early 90s. No matter what happened to the movement when the small minds took over, those were exciting times.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco
Kind of a proto-PC band but, The Disposable Hereos of Hiphoprisy, made you think and kicked some butt back in the early 90s. No matter what happened to the movement when the small minds took over, those were exciting times.

yeah michael franti and spearhead same type of intelligence just a different genre somewhat

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #54 of 71
Nice recommendations guys. I guess I'll add a few:

P.O.S. - Audition (Kind of a punk rock feel to it, but very good)
Ill Bill - What's Wrong With Bill
Eyedea - The Many Faces of Oliver Hart
Gym Class Heroes - Papercut Chronicles
Jedi Mind Tricks - Legacy of Blood
7L & Esoteric - Speaking Real Words
Louis Logic - Sin-A-Matic
And every and all Atmosphere albums ever

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #55 of 71
Mountain Brothers - Self Vol. 1

3 Chinese dudes who rap ... yup.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #57 of 71
Some really good rap that i think you might like is

Anything...
Outkast
Gang Starr
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Del The Funkyhomosapien
Blackalicious
KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions
Common
Eric B & Rakim
Wu-Tang

And if you want some gangsta S**T go with
Ice Cube
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
Scarface
Snoop Dogg
UGK
Mobb Deep

And if you want some more specific recomendations, just ask

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
I like:
Eyedea & Abilities (i would say its more psychadelic hiphop and i better not get any crap for it)

Atmosphere (lucy ford; god loves ugly etc)

Immortal Technique (really political/social... if you dont like his views you wont like his music so maybe you should check out some lyrics first
smily_headphones1.gif
.. however i love it)

I'll second all three of these, ESPECIALLY Immortal Technique. How can you not get a kick out of "Beef & Broccoli", track 5 from Revolutionary Vol. 1 :]

For some fun semi-intelligent hip-hop, try Tech N9ne..

..but there's another BIG one that sticks in my head:
Cunninlynguists. I think you'd love it. Get the album Southernunderground, you guys are missing out! :]

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wipeout
I'll second all three of these, ESPECIALLY Immortal Technique. How can you not get a kick out of "Beef & Broccoli", track 5 from Revolutionary Vol. 1 :]

For some fun semi-intelligent hip-hop, try Tech N9ne..

..but there's another BIG one that sticks in my head:
Cunninlynguists. I think you'd love it. Get the album Southernunderground, you guys are missing out! :]

I just bought A Piece of Strange By CL. Its quite a good album, but most of the tracks are sampled from records, and some of the hissing, crackling, and popping is quite apparent. Some of the songs to the point where I can't even listen to it. The problem is that a lot of people with mid or higher end systems will not be able to listen to this album. If you have something truely lo-fi I would say go get it. Even though I love this album I have difficulty recommending it to anyone with even a set of PX100's on this site

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #60 of 71
A small list of artists I like and enjoy

Dose One - can't get enough of this guy!
Prefuse 73
Colossus
P.O.S.
MC Soom T
Sole
Sims
Dessa
The Crest
Grand Buffet
A Guy Called Tension
Weerd Science
Passage