Intel NUC for HiFi help.
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

amb3cog

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm building an Intel NUC for regular use, but also for YouTube and YouTube audio use. Basically I want to get great sound while using the computer, and to watch music videos and concerts on my big screen with it also.

I've already ordered “Intel BNUC11TNKI30000 NUC Pro Barebone Kit - i3 11th Gen”, "Crucial CT2K16G4SFD832A 2-16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM 1.2V CL22", and a "MZ-V8P1T0B 1tb Samsung 850 Pro Gen-4 M.2 NVME SSD PCIe 4.0 2280". And already have everything else I need, like KVM, dongles, etc.

I'm considering a fanless case if it's too loud. And I'm probably am going to get a linear PS for it on AliExpress (or similar). And already have an iFi iUSB 2.0 w/iFi PS. And I'll probably run it through the reclocker on my Streambox too. And I'm thinking of getting either a JCAT type USB card, or something like an SOtM USB hub. Or a USB DDC converter instead. Or maybe even both.

Of course I'm really hoping to spend as little as possible here though. So any suggestions, advice, and/or sharing of experiences here would really help a lot. Maybe there's someone here who's already done something similar, and might have a better plan of attack? Or maybe a suggestion on a cheap USB card, or a line on a good used DDC, etc.? That sort of stuff. Anything really would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Andy B.

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Suggesting getting a good for the buck DDC (now) such as a Singxer SU-6. Attach your DAC via I2S or AES/EBU or SPDIF. On w/c you are comfortable with. Although the SU-6 has good USB isolation, use your current iFi iUSB to further clean your signal from your NUC to your DDC.

Upgrade iFi iUSB later if deemed fit (like Uptone Audio's upcoming replacement for ISO Regen).

My present setup is:

Source (Shuttle DH370 i9 32Gb or Beelink GT-King) -> USB Regerator/reclocker (LH Revive) -> DDC (Singxer SU-6) -> DAC (Audiobyte Hydra.Vox)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 4
For a headstation or if you listen to music with a lot of dynamic range (classical, jazz etc.) then go fanless. Small fans are shrill and very annoying.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Okay so I got a Douk DDC and an iFi Xpower PS from a nice gentlemen on here. It's not exactly a Denafrips Gaia, but it's a start. And I was researching power options last night. That's likely to be my next move. A nice linear PS from China. Then we'll see about the fan thing.

I think for the sake of my wallet. I'll see if I can deal with it, or not. Then I'll go from there. This isn't for a main setup. So absolute perfect SQ isn't the goal here. I just want it to get close to the performance of my Project Streambox S2 Ultra w/stock PS. That's it. But that actually is asking a good amount out of it in reality, because the S2 is really good. But I have faith.

So now my question is what's next after the linear power supply, and possibly the fanless case also? I'm thinking maybe a USB card? But I'm not sure how they work. Do you have to use a certain type of software with them? Like HQ Player maybe? Do they need to be run in ASIO or WASAPI? Or do they just work with everything like a normal USB does?

Because like I mentioned in my 1st post. I'm looking to use YouTube and YouTube audio with it. As well as many other things. I'll also be using speakers and iem's/headphones with it. And I'm not looking to be restricted by something like that at all. I've already got that type of setup. I just want an every day, average, ordinary type PC with decent audio is all.

Oh and I'm also going to need to address my networking situation also, because currently I only have WiFi in my room. But that's for another thread.
Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate you responding.
Andy B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back