Instrumental/Post-Metal:
Sep 13, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choices, although I'm not a fan of the new Trivium stuff. Chimaira's self titled though is very very well-done.

I have all releases by both bands. I like it all.

3rd in rotation is Avenged Sevenfold- Waking The Fallen (that's the last cd before they went all Metallica (alternative).

4th in rotation is all but the current Atreyu.

5th is all Black Label Society cds.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 45
Bossk is woth trying, this was the band that got me into heavier/metal music, really enjoy their 1 ep, and the new tracks from the ep out soon sound great too.

Also, maybe not a similar reccomendation, but I know quite a few fans of this style of music love their music - Nadja. They make ambient/doom/drone, and it is just amazing stuff. They put out about 4-5 albums/releases a year, and they are always quality.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #33 of 45
If you can't see the relation between Neurosis and Isis, then you haven't really listened to older Isis stuff. For the first half of their career, Isis was known as "Neurosis Junior." Of Isis' older stuff, I really like SGNL05, and the Red Sea. Mosquito Controls pretty decent I guess, but with the exception of 2-3 songs I think Celestial is pretty mediocre.

You should check out more recent Neurosis especially the ones that have been released since 2001, youll probably like them more. Although Through Silver in Blood is a metal classic and the album which started the progressive hardcore movement. The only drawback is everything released on Neurot tends to be of asstacular recording quality.

I cant believe you haven't seen any Jesu reccomendations yet. Justin Broadick has Midas' touch and is probably one of the most visionary musicians alive today imo. If you're not familiar with Godflesh, check that out too; cant wait for his mastering of Oceanic:Live at the Museum of Modern Art LA.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 45
I'll throw in another vote for the Red Sparrowes. Excellent stuff.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 45
pelican's best effort was australasia (sp?). the song drought is so heavy.

giant squid has been my favorite band for a while now. the guy does sound a little like the S.O.D. guy...a little. the whole album is too beautiful though. i got a hold of their first recording of metridium field which i like just as much as their release on 'the end' records.

chopha had a pretty good list. especially yob's "the unreal never lived". more on the doom side but good stuff.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #40 of 45
I'd also like to throw out there that the new Rosetta album is simply excellent. I was only a moderate fan of the Galilean Satellites, but Wake/Lift is absurdly good and I am glad I pre-ordered it. So far one of my favorites of the year.

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

doom metal loves amplifiers and literature

Nice reference to Sunn O)), no matter how popular they seem on various forums, I just cannot get into them
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant0nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice reference to Sunn O)), no matter how popular they seem on various forums, I just cannot get into them
frown.gif

Hmmmm yes I always try to get into them, but they just bore me each time. I love some drone/ambient doom stuff like Nadja, Angelic Process, Trollman Av, Methadrone etc.. but I just find Sunn like a continual noise (drone) that is just so boring. Just seems like there is nothing much to the music, and you could get as much enjoyment from turning on a eletric mower and listening to that
tongue.gif
I like the Boris collaboration, but that is due to Boris and not Sunn
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant0nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

You need to give em some more time.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #45 of 45
Definitely another endorsement for Bossk here.

Other things include:

Mouth of the Architect
Russian Circles (<---important)

Not much else that others haven't said, though other bands you might want to look into anyway (ie. similar styles) include:

Hyatari
Deadbird
Sabers
Tides (<-- bigtime recommendation)
Capricorns
5ive's Continuum Research Project
Theory of Abstract Light
Angelic Process
Mare
The Abominable Iron Sloth
MGR (Mustard Gas and Roses)
YOB (Already mentioned by someone.)
Crippled Black Pheonix
Black Boned Angel
Datura
Year of No Light
Coffin Dancer
Across Tundras
Minsk
Rwake

...and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm going to counter-recommend [Pelican]. much better sludge out there.

Well, since they don't play sludge, that's okay. I bet there are also better ska bands out there than Pelican.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back