Instrumental/Post-Metal:
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I really believe that ISIS is easily one of the most dynamic and talented bands around today. The atmospheric metal they create just envelopes you; cant rememebr the last time I was this impressed with a band from any genre.

I have started listening to some Pelican (Fire in our Throats...), although I find myself always going back to ISIS. They are kind of a lighter version to me-not as complex or fresh sounding.
I dont expect to find any other instrumental metal to easily top ISIS anytime soon, but is there anything out there on par with them?

Ive got Absence of Truth, Panopticon and Oceanic-I want to buy one other of their albums and something new.

Suggestions?

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 45
Cult of Luna is similar... also might be worth it to get your hands on the Mouth of the Architect/Kenoma split album, as well as something from Callisto.

It could also be said that Isis owe everything to Neurosis, so wouldn't hurt to check them out too.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cult of Luna is similar... also might be worth it to get your hands on the Mouth of the Architect/Kenoma split album, as well as something from Callisto.

It could also be said that Isis owe everything to Neurosis, so wouldn't hurt to check them out too.

Bought Through Silver and Blood about a year back (I belive based on your rec)-not only couldnt get into it, never really saw the simialrity with/to ISIS (although the drums do sound very simiar).
To me they have more of an industrial sound.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 45
You should try Rosetta (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=51030), their "The Galilean Satellites" is a bizarre album, it comes on 2 CDs that you can play synchronized, the 2nd disc is an atmospheric layer that you can put over the wall of sound. They play just fine alone, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Pelican is also very good, also Minsk and Eyehategod (although not instrumental).

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought Through Silver and Blood about a year back (I belive based on your rec)-not only couldnt get into it, never really saw the simialrity with/to ISIS (although the drums do sound very simiar).
To me they have more of an industrial sound.

/shrug

Neurosis all but pioneered the general style of music that's dominated by bands like Isis today. Actually, I'd say it's still dominated by Neurosis, which is saying quite a bit in their favor.

Neurosis is the quintessence of atmospheric metal, IMO, and Through Silver in Blood is one of my favorite albums of all time. Honestly, how can you listen to a song like "Purify" or "Aeon" and not be completely blown away (assuming you're even remotely into this sort of music)?

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 45
I'll second the Callisto recommendation. Noir is a little more varied instrumentally, and probably a little mellower, but quite good.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 45
try out underoath - define the great line. light years beyond all of their previous stuff. the instrumentals sound very atmospheric, like neurosis/isis. i listen to 'casting such a thin shadow' and feel as if the sky is falling
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

/shrug

Neurosis all but pioneered the general style of music that's dominated by bands like Isis today. Actually, I'd say it's still dominated by Neurosis, which is saying quite a bit in their favor.

Neurosis is the quintessence of atmospheric metal, IMO, and Through Silver in Blood is one of my favorite albums of all time. Honestly, how can you listen to a song like "Purify" or "Aeon" and not be completely blown away (assuming you're even remotely into this sort of music)?

Who knows-just not into it.
Never made it as far as Aeon though-so Ill give it a coupld of more tries.

Am i losing my mind-no matter what point of the song I jump to in "Aeon" the volume is in the midst of rising/building up...how is that possible???
Literally, any point in the song.
Theres gotta be something wrong with my computer...

Edit: Whats actually happening is, when I jump to a new point in the song on Itunes-the song is restarting. Why its doing that I have no idea.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

/shrug

Asmox speaks the truth............you must revisit Neurosis, it would be very unusual for someone to be big Isis fan and not also like Neurosis. Although "silver" is probably best overall Neurosis album I would actually say Isis fans start with newest release "Given to the Rising" as it is more similar in style to latest Isis release

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 45
One more vote for Callisto & Cult of Luna.

...and I know this is far fetched, but have you listened to Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale? I still think it's possibly the most artistically ambitious metal/post-metal release to date, even though it's released already in 1996.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asmox speaks the truth............you must revisit Neurosis, it would be very unusual for someone to be big Isis fan and not also like Neurosis. Although "silver" is probably best overall Neurosis album I would actually say Isis fans start with newest release "Given to the Rising" as it is more similar in style to latest Isis release

I will definitely give it a couple more tries-its usually instances like this where I end up loving the album.
Maybe ill try the new album as well-thnx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back