Initial impressions: Stax Omega II/SRM-717
Apr 23, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #31 of 44
JMT,

Congrats on the new system. Welcome to the Stax side. Since you are so handy with a soldering iron, my two cents would say don't bother with the KGSS. Go directly to the Weebl. You'll thank yourself.

As far as bass goes ... The Stax when coupled with a Weebl will do bass. It does it well. However, that said, certain dynamic cans do bass even better. If you're a bass head the AT 3000 does serious sonic damage, whether it be real or doubled harmonic whatevers. The HD650/Blockhead also does an excellent job in this regard. Probably tighter than the Stax.

However, I'm talking gradations of excellence here. Any of these systems would/should make just about anyone happy.

IMHO FWIW

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #32 of 44
Geez people, lighten up. It's only bass for cryin out loud.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Stax don't do deep bass and I will not be biting you any time soon.

Fred, you don't know how happy that makes me.
Quote:

Have you guys even noticed that all my jabs are directed towards Jon,who I'm sure knows that I'm giving him s**t?

Yeah, he knows. And payback is a real bitch.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #33 of 44
If you are a basshead the SR-007 phone is capable of delivering. Try sending an equalised signal through the Stax amps and you'll see what I mean. Bass extension is also not an issue.

Whether the Stax amps deliver it as is, is debatable. There's maybe some strain in the amps when it's pushed hard in the lows, especially with an EQ'd signal. From what Tuberoller says the KGSS maybe doesn't. Personally for the moment I like the super souped up DT880+RKV-ness that is the result of the SR-007 and the 007t.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey
Since you are so handy with a soldering iron, my two cents would say don't bother with the KGSS. Go directly to the Weebl. You'll thank yourself.

Right now, I am liking the SRM-717. Perhaps a bit more aggressive sounding than what I remember the SRM-007t sounding like. But I am enjoying it nonetheless. I just received my Stax extension from Audio Cubes Friday so I can now sit in my listening chair rather than on the floor like I have been doing.

Maybe one of these days someone would be kind enough to let me audition their KGSS, or their Weebl (
biggrin.gif
)....or perhaps Dr. G. would allow me to commission him to build me a Blue Hawaii.

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #35 of 44
I hope that someone of you, one day, will try the Omega / Egmont Reference setup.

I'm very sorry men, but I do not think more any words as: bass, med, hi, transparence, and so on... I'm just LISTENING my music, because the dream of this combo do not permit to think other thinks that: music, life, live, and... thanks to GOD!

Best!
Nicola

PS:
But this is sure, the Omega II needs an excellent drive to do [size=xx-large]all [/size] perfect...

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
PS:
But this is sure, the Omega II needs an excellent drive to do [size=xx-large]all [/size] perfect...

Which has brought me some thoughts. Most of the Omega "complaints" are from people who listen to them paired up with Stax's tube drivers. Now, maybe I'm off base, but (most) people would not pick tubes to do high power low-frequency amp duty in a system; tubes usually don't have the damping factors, current drive and plain power to to that kind of thing justice. In my day (OK, not "to long ago"
tongue.gif
) biamping with tubes for top and SS for bottom was the hot ticket for high end speaker designs.

So, Tubey is listening with a Stax tube driver. A large number of people here have heard Omega's with tubes drivers and this "issue" sometimes shows up. Omega's are more likely to get paired with the tube stuff versus the Lambda series due to cost; when you get up to Omega price levels the extra investment in going to the tube drivers, with their perceived 'upper end' stature versus the SS stuff (most of that appearance due to the cost), being much less a factor.

So is it, flatly, that some (many, or most) "complaints" with Omega's having "weak bass" just an individual audition issue due to the specific driver used?

Feedback hoped for! Did Stax choose liquid mids by going for, designing and building tubes for their "high end" drivers but underestimate the bass drive neccessary, or desired, by some listeners of their cans? That the SS drivers might not give that "liquidity" but, overall, improved full range drive ability? (as many say the KGSS proves (bass-wise))

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Feedback hoped for! Did Stax choose liquid mids by going for, designing and building tubes for their "high end" drivers but underestimate the bass drive neccessary, or desired, by some listeners of their cans? That the SS drivers might not give that "liquidity" but, overall, improved full range drive ability? (as many say the KGSS proves (bass-wise))

If you think the 007t cannot deliver bass, use good tubes and bias the amp properly. Then try again.

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

It's been said that the stock tubes aren't neccessarily the best choice; is that the major "problem"?

Could be. The Mazda-Brimar 6CG7 is an interesting tube. It's smaller than almost any other 6CG7, with very small plates. This could result in lower internal capacitance, which might translate into detail. This tube also has more Gm on my tester than any other 6CG7 I've seen. In fact, it's outside the range that my tester can even measure. This could translate into increased gain, or dynamics. For whatever reason, it's a good upgrade to the 007t.

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

It's been said that the stock tubes aren't neccessarily the best choice; is that the major "problem"?

i heard bozebutton's 007t with rolled tubes, and i still thought it was nowhere near the performance of my kgss, while costing the same amount. it just couldn't make the stax move like i was expecting. i'm willing to bet the 717 is a lot better.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #41 of 44
Imagine a driver that has the positive aspect of the SS plus the positive aspect of Tubes... and more a touch of "..." I cannot explain myself...: this is the Egmont Reference with GE 6sn7 GTB and Mullard CV4004 !!! Incredible tubes combination.

Even a little modification in electrostatics drivers is incredibly perceived...

Best!
Nicola

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #42 of 44
I was thinkin' of the prospect of actually having to bite JMT and then I remembered that Stax really don't do deep bass and felt much better cause I know it will never have to happen. Good thing for me.

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #43 of 44
JMT,

Thanks for the great post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Has the Meridian been a significant upgrade? What do you think of the Sony when it feeds the Omega?

Our impressions of Omega II/717 are similar. When I first listened to it, I found myself rethinking many of my component choices. It became clear I picked my source because I have HP-1. audioNote 2.1x would not have been my choice if I owned the more resolving Omega II. I'm curious about your thoughts on your other new toy.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlo
JMT,

Thanks for the great post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Has the Meridian been a significant upgrade? What do you think of the Sony when it feeds the Omega?

I was never a really big fan of the 555ES redbook performance, but made the compromise as I wanted to get into SACD. I thought I could live with it, but in the end found that I could not. That is why I eventually purchased the DAC2. The Meridian is a significant improvement to the stock redbook playback of the 555ES in my opinion. In fact, and I am going to go out on a limb here, I would say that to my ears it is on par with the performance of the 555ES/DAC2 combo. Part of me wishes that I made the further investment to the 588 so I can use the balanced inputs of the SRM-717.

The stock 555ES redbook performance with the Omegas is adequate at best, nothing spectacular. That said, I do really like the Omega/SACD combination.

What really surprised me was the improvement the Meridian demonstrated in my speaker rig.

Oh, and as beefy and attractive as the Meridian's remote is....I don't care for it at all.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I was thinkin' of the prospect of actually having to bite JMT and then I remembered that Stax really don't do deep bass and felt much better cause I know it will never have to happen. Good thing for me.

Good thing for ME!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back