Initial impressions: Stax Omega II/SRM-717
Apr 22, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 44
Whoa... <puts on a flame suit>

That aside the only person's ears I truly trust are my own. When purchasing gear I'm unable to audition I take the "mean" of all the reviews I can find. I find the Omega II's very "organic" sounding. They do not sound sterile like the SRS-2020's I own. I will be head-to-head'ing them vs. the HP-2 this evening.

Tuberoller does put out some excellent reviews, and I suspect he's joking about the Omega II bass bit. I'm noting the smilies, and hints of sarcasm in his posts.

I find the bass on the Omega II's to be nothing short of incredible. It is quite possibly the best bass I've ever heard. The Omega II's can crush my head with sonic and subsonic bass. I own a Sunfire, as well as Stratus Gold i's, and have had a lengthly audition of Grand Slamm's. I do know good sound, and good bass. The Omega II's have great sound, and great bass.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Good Lord, I have never heard the harmony of this fine vocal group blend so well, but at the same time hear each and every voice in the harmonies. I could literally focus in on one voice and follow it thoughout the piece, and then toggle my focus back to the harmony, and then back to another individual. It was incredible.

best paragraph of the review, in my opinion. this is something that i continue to have problems with properly describing to people, and i swear it just doesn't ring true enough until you've felt your focus drift through each instrument in a band and then back to the notes all of them carry in one succinct movement. i'm very glad to see that omega 2's have not been wasted on a hater.
biggrin.gif

and damn you, the bass goes insanely deep!

great impressions and an awesome day to post it.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
We have now confirmed that you are indeed deaf.... or shortly on your way to complete loss of hearing. Stax don't do deep bass and I will not be biting you any time soon.
biggrin.gif

But he's not the one using sennhsiers.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 44
Right now(I mean at this very moment) I'm listening to the Omega II/KGSS system and the bass Im hearing is far,far,far(one more time) far from "tight". C'mon guys. Are you joking? But wait,maybe my source is not up to par
rolleyes.gif
or better yet, maybe I don't have good enough cables
rolleyes.gif
or better still maybe I'm just biased. Yep,that's it.

I was a Stax dealer for a while and got to hear all the Stax systems,many times,and still think they don't do deep bass well. Don't you guys find it strange that most of the folks who sell Stax(Tyll,Todd,The guys at Decibel Audio,The guys at Musicdirect) will almost to a man tell you that Stax ain't the ticket if you desire bass definition.

Jon,I know you are a fan of EWF and TOP and if you have any Larry Graham stuff on vinyl(even CD) check out the deep bass performance on tracks that have mulitiple instruments performing at the lowest bass notes. Stax do not seperate these bass notes well and they tend to overlap into one continous note that sounds like a "thump" rather than a true bass guitar note or a drum strike. Electronic drums sound OK on Stax because the sound they produce is less difficult to recreate. I listen to deep bass all the time(large speakers in a very large room with treatments) and yes,I know how it sounds. I do most of my listening in the loudspeaker world and when I am listening to headphones (or earspeakers) I'm listening for the entire frequency to be reproduced,not always with pinpoint accuracy but with at least a semblence of what real bass sounds like. Stax sound great if the music you listen to does not demand frequent and far reaching extensions into the lowest bass regions. The Stax lovers are just not facing the truth here. I'm dying for Headroom to measure the Omega II phones to put all this to rest.

BTW,
I was joking.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Right now(I mean at this very moment) I'm listening to the Omega II/KGSS system and the bass Im hearing is far,far,far(one more time) far from "tight". C'mon guys. Are you joking? But wait,maybe my source is not up to par
rolleyes.gif
or better yet, maybe I don't have good enough cables
rolleyes.gif
or better still maybe I'm just biased. Yep,that's it.

Yes, that is INDEED it.
Quote:

I was a Stax dealer for a while and got to hear all the Stax systems,many times,and still think they don't do deep bass well. Don't you guys find it strange that most of the folks who sell Stax(Tyll,Todd,The guys at Decibel Audio,The guys at Musicdirect) will almost to a man tell you that Stax ain't the ticket if you desire bass definition.

So, on that point, let's all cut the garbage and get to the chase. You AREN'T listening to deep bass using WHATEVER can you "prefer" - the wavelengths of true "Deep Bass" are too long to be reproduced, and heard, inside the air space of a pair of cans.

That's the laws of physics.

So, what almost everybody is saying as "Oh, these cans do deep bass" is doubling harmonics AND added warmth. I'm not going to pull any punches, I've heard the discussion of this enough around here. A LOT of people here are boom...er, 'warmth'...fans and when a can doesn't give that to them they complain.

Fact of life.

Stax don't double up the harmonics well (electrostat physics don't allow it much), and certainly aren't "warm". That leaves them somewhat neutral, a bit dry. But if you think that means they aren't doing bass, then sorry.

Quote:

Jon,I know you are a fan of EWF and TOP and if you have any Larry Graham stuff on vinyl(even CD) check out the deep bass performance on tracks that have mulitiple instruments performing at the lowest bass notes. Stax do not seperate these bass notes well and they tend to overlap into one continous note that sounds like a "thump" rather than a true bass guitar note or a drum strike. Electronic drums sound OK on Stax because the sound they produce is less difficult to recreate. I listen to deep bass all the time(large speakers in a very large room with treatments) and yes,I know how it sounds. I do most of my listening in the loudspeaker world and when I am listening to headphones (or earspeakers) I'm listening for the entire frequency to be reproduced,not always with pinpoint accuracy but with at least a semblence of what real bass sounds like. Stax sound great if the music you listen to does not demand frequent and far reaching extensions into the lowest bass regions. The Stax lovers are just not facing the truth here. I'm dying for Headroom to measure the Omega II phones to put all this to rest.

BTW,
I was joking.

OK
tongue.gif
But as I said, "does not demand frequent and far reaching extensions into the lowest bass regions", physics says you aren't hearing that from any can in the first place. So you are listening to the Stax recreate the impact of the bass instrument but no doubling of the harmonics to create, umm, "bass" which really isn't there because you aren't far enough away from the drivers for the soundwave to propagate and be heard at the reproduced wavelength.

So, which is more accurate? The Stax with no doubling or others that do and create an idea that something is really there?

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Yes, that is INDEED it.

So, on that point, let's all cut the garbage and get to the chase. You AREN'T listening to deep bass using WHATEVER can you "prefer" - the wavelengths of true "Deep Bass" are too long to be reproduced, and heard, inside the air space of a pair of cans.

That's the laws of physics.

So, what almost everybody is saying as "Oh, these cans do deep bass" is doubling harmonics AND added warmth. I'm not going to pull any punches, I've heard the discussion of this enough around here. A LOT of people here are boom...er, 'warmth'...fans and when a can doesn't give that to them they complain.

Fact of life.

Stax don't double up the harmonics well (electrostat physics don't allow it much), and certainly aren't "warm". That leaves them somewhat neutral, a bit dry. But if you think that means they aren't doing bass, then sorry.

OK
tongue.gif
But as I said, "does not demand frequent and far reaching extensions into the lowest bass regions", physics says you aren't hearing that from any can in the first place. So you are listening to the Stax recreate the impact of the bass instrument but no doubling of the harmonics to create, umm, "bass" which really isn't there because you aren't far enough away from the drivers for the soundwave to propagate and be heard at the reproduced wavelength.

So, which is more accurate? The Stax with no doubling or others that do and create an idea that something is really there?

??????????? I'm so confused, help me please
biggrin.gif
. You guys are right,Stax sound great. I quit. I happen to own an Omega II system(with both amps) and I'm not attached enough to any of my gear to angrily defend it anywhere
rolleyes.gif

It ain't that serious guys,this is all in fun.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 44
Funny, I guess this was exactly why I didn't bother doing an Omega II review.
rolleyes.gif

I know for one thing though that JMT rarely posts his impressions on his audio gear in such a way. Maybe we should ALL sit back and let him enjoy his purchase instead of tearing into his opinion like a pack of wild dogs?

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

??????????? I'm so confused, help me please
biggrin.gif
. You guys are right,Stax sound great. I quit. I happen to own an Omega II system(with both amps) and I'm not attached enough to any of my gear to angrily defend it anywhere
rolleyes.gif

No no no.
biggrin.gif
It's cool that you don't like Omegas; if you don't like the spectral balance that's fine! But "Stax don't do bass" is just flatly incorrect, that's all. Stax, and indeed all electrostats, have a different type of bass from dynamics, usually much less doubling harmonic distortion, and that may not rub some people the right way.
Quote:

It ain't that serious guys,this is all in fun.

cool.gif

lambda.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #26 of 44
If you're being an ass for the sake of being an ass, Tuberoller, that's pretty foolish and immature. If your honest opinion is that Stax don't produce enough bass for your tastes, that's your honest opinion. That doesn't mean that your opinion is authority and that Stax "cannot" reproduce deep bass.

- Chris

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
I know for one thing though that JMT rarely posts his impressions on his audio gear in such a way. Maybe we should ALL sit back and let him enjoy his purchase instead of tearing into his opinion like a pack of wild dogs?

Seconded. Congrats on the Omega II Jon!!

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #28 of 44
Oh, get off it guys. You're turning a lighthearted joke/poke into something serious. JMT had a little poke in there at guys like Tuberoller in the first post, but no one has a problem with that.

Great write up, Jon! I like your writing style, so don't knock it
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #29 of 44
Tuberoller was proposing a specific music listening test: separating the timbres of simultaneously playing bass instruments. This is different from a simple "how deep does the bass go?"

I'd be very interested to learn how JMT and other Stax lovers hear that test.
cool.gif
lambda.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
If you're being an ass for the sake of being an ass, Tuberoller, that's pretty foolish and immature. If your honest opinion is that Stax don't produce enough bass for your tastes, that's your honest opinion. That doesn't mean that your opinion is authority and that Stax "cannot" reproduce deep bass.

- Chris

What's so foolish about a joke that was obviously not directed at you. Jon and I bust each other's b**ls all the time. You're coming in at the end of joke that you don't get and making a fuss were there was none. Everyone knows what I think of Stax,I'm only stating it again here to roll Jon over. You got a problem with me( you seem to , as indicated by your last few posts in various threads) send me a PM and air it out. Don't crap on a thread that you don't know nothing about.

Have you guys even noticed that all my jabs are directed towards Jon,who I'm sure knows that I'm giving him s**t? Have you also noticed that I only pick on gear that I actually OWN? I picked on the HP890 because I owned them and was having some fun giving the other owners grief. I picked on the HP1 because I own them and I know the fans are super-duper sensitive and can't take a joke. I picked on the K501,RS1,Melos amps etc.etc because I owned them,knew how they sounded and tend to enjoy giving s**t to the guys who waste valuable time defending gear. I own all that stuff and you don't see me running around posting in threads defending ANY gear. I don't belong to any team(though I have no problem with anyone who does) and I like most of the gear I own. You guys egg me on when you fall over yourselves to talk about how great Stax phones are and I can't resist wiping boogers on you. If you're gonna stain your panties over it,I'll leave you alone.

[size=xx-large]I'm Joking,This is not that serious!!![/size] OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back