Inexpensive first pair of cans
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Caos

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!
It's been a while since I've been lurking on this forum, but still I cannot make up my mind on choosing a good pair of headphones under 100 euros (let's say 150$).
It would be my first pair of "hi-fi"  (although maybe i'm using this word improperly) headphones, so I think it would be pretty pointless to waste a fortune on them.
I mainly listen to rock and metal, but I think I will also use them for my gaming sessions, so I'd prefer some open cans with a pretty wide soundstage (leakage is absolutely not a problem). I'm not a professional gamer though, so I wouldn't mind the presence of a somewhat nice bass.
At first I leaned towards JVC HA-RX900 (extremely cheap..but maybe not bad for the price point?), but I also noticed I could buy some used Beyerdynamic 990pro.

Unfortunately ATH-AD700 are not an option: I'm from Italy and these cans here are ridiculously overpriced. Still haven't looked into Sennheisers or AKGs. Have you got any advice?
I'd pair them with a Xonar Essence STX.

Thank you!

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 3
I had the DT990 Pro, and liked them enough that I upgraded to the 990/600s.

As long as you are aware that they are quite bassy and quite bright, they do some serious rocking.  I also really liked mine for gaming, as they have a solid sounstage, and enough bass that you don't want to JUST use them for gaming.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 3
DT990 are VERY VERY VERY spendy for just starting out, may I suggest Senn HD448, or the Sony MDR-v6 440 about 80-100$ sonys about 60$ both are great deals, I had the senns then upgraded, and have used the sonys you will not be dissapointed, FYI if you're  looking for soundstage and mids go for the senns, if you're looking for a more studio suited less fun more anilitical*with little to no soundstage* get the v6's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back