InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread
May 30, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #301 of 3,191

Quote:
The original batch were all Triple Fi's because of the massive sale that they had reducing the price to $150 from like $300.  Since the triple fi's had great sound but a horrible fit (too large) for many people, the custom route was a cheap and easy way to make them work. Frankly, I would hesitate at sending a $300+ universal for remold.  These iems aren't made to be customs, and the sound sig may change.  If you're remolding a used custom, that's different.  But I'd stick with something a bit less expensive, unless you love the sound and it's not fitting well.  Just my 2 cents.  

Those are the exact reasons why I was looking for some inexpensive way to try out customs. I understand the risk of using my MTPC and therefore will not be doing it. I sort of want to see how customs feel and fit and what not before I would drop a huge chunk of change on them. The Triple Fi's look interesting but I don't think I will be able to get them for a low enough price, the triple fi's+impressions+remold will probably end up being around $300 which seems pretty steep. I guess the best route would be to try and find some used customs and get a remold? Maybe some LiveWires? I have heard good things about them and the dual drivers are $250 new so I figure used I could probably find some pretty cheap?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #302 of 3,191
when I re-shipped my customs to Fisher for my refits, they actually redid my entire mold including the faceplate.  I've had these new ones back for almost two months now and they still fit & sound perfectly!  anyways school is finally winding down so I had some time to take these updated pics :)

in regards with that other thread of how I wear mine: loop over the ear to behind my neck, but then I wear the wire down in front with a shirt clip :)

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #303 of 3,191
mnagail or anyone else that has had UE Triple Fi's put into customs by Fisher:

Have you noticed an improvement in the mids at all since the custom job? I just picked up a pair of Triple Fi's and am considering getting them reshelled as I want to try out customs however I like the sound of my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers better. Really the mids are the only thing that bothers me about the Triple Fi's and I was wondering if you guys have noticed any improvement in either the mids or sound quality overall since the custom reshell job. Thanks a bunch as this factor will be weighing heavily on my decision as whether or not to go the custom route with my Triple Fi's.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #305 of 3,191

Quote:
mnagail or anyone else that has had UE Triple Fi's put into customs by Fisher:

Have you noticed an improvement in the mids at all since the custom job? I just picked up a pair of Triple Fi's and am considering getting them reshelled as I want to try out customs however I like the sound of my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers better. Really the mids are the only thing that bothers me about the Triple Fi's and I was wondering if you guys have noticed any improvement in either the mids or sound quality overall since the custom reshell job. Thanks a bunch as this factor will be weighing heavily on my decision as whether or not to go the custom route with my Triple Fi's.

the drivers are the same, just housed in a custom shell for much improved fit, isolation, and comfort. aside from any sonic differences different cables may contribute, I don't really find it reasonable to expect any other sonic differences.  I've read about people having success in what you're trying to achieve with Unique Melody custom remolds since they give the option of adding additional 1-5 drivers/each side.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #306 of 3,191
^ You didn't take into account the issues with sibilance that people have due to the absence of universal tips. In some instances, the treble is greatly excentuated due to the lack of an absorbent tip at the end of the IEM. If the canal length is too long you could run into this problem as well. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #307 of 3,191
I don't think Sibilance will be an issue since I have been listening to Nek Cases Album Middle Cyclone which another member commented on the high sibilance of when using it to review the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. While listening to this album I really don't notice much at all, I'm only able to hear it with the Triple Fi's if I really focus on it. Maybe I'm just not overly sensitive to it.

I really wasn't expecting the Fisher reshell to change the sound or the mids however I just wanted to check and make sure.

To those that have the Triple Fi's and or reshelled, any suggestions on attempting to "fix" the recessed mids? Basically I have found the rest of the sound signature to be just fine except for the mids which are making vocals sound too recessed and laid back for my liking. Any suggestions or ideas on improving this like a different cable or possibly cheap amp that may do the trick?

I'm sort of now trying to decide if it's worth attempting to adjust the Triple Fi's to make the mids more to my liking or trading them for some other iem that might not have this issue for me. Maybe the Audio Technica ck10?

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #308 of 3,191

Quote:
I don't think Sibilance will be an issue since I have been listening to Nek Cases Album Middle Cyclone which another member commented on the high sibilance of when using it to review the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. While listening to this album I really don't notice much at all, I'm only able to hear it with the Triple Fi's if I really focus on it. Maybe I'm just not overly sensitive to it.

I really wasn't expecting the Fisher reshell to change the sound or the mids however I just wanted to check and make sure.

To those that have the Triple Fi's and or reshelled, any suggestions on attempting to "fix" the recessed mids? Basically I have found the rest of the sound signature to be just fine except for the mids which are making vocals sound too recessed and laid back for my liking. Any suggestions or ideas on improving this like a different cable or possibly cheap amp that may do the trick?

I'm sort of now trying to decide if it's worth attempting to adjust the Triple Fi's to make the mids more to my liking or trading them for some other iem that might not have this issue for me. Maybe the Audio Technica ck10?

I wasn't saying it's going to be the case for everyone but there is a chance; I've read enough reviews of people's re-molded phones that state they have sibilance similar to or more than the W3's. I was just giving the guy a heads up as something to mull over so he knows some of the risks. This of course comes with a chance that the sound signature of the phone is changed as well. 

But overly sensitive? You might just not be listening to music that has an emphasis on the treble. It's not like all genres of music have an emphasis on the treble region. 

But about the last part, IMO I would sell the Triples and just get another IEM that's... frankly just better. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #309 of 3,191

Quote:

I wasn't saying it's going to be the case for everyone but there is a chance; I've read enough reviews of people's re-molded phones that state they have sibilance similar to or more than the W3's. I was just giving the guy a heads up as something to mull over so he knows some of the risks. This of course comes with a chance that the sound signature of the phone is changed as well. 

But overly sensitive? You might just not be listening to music that has an emphasis on the treble. It's not like all genres of music have an emphasis on the treble region. 

But about the last part, IMO I would sell the Triples and just get another IEM that's... frankly just better. 

Thanks for the heads up about the sound change and how high some have mentioned the sibilance being. Really appreciate that as I'm sort of new to the idea of customs and reshelling.

The issue with selling the Triples and getting another IEM that's better is that I already have a better IEM. I have the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's which I have found to be better in every aspect and way. The only small fault I have found is that at lower volumes there sound quality seems to drop a bit which is still something I'm trying to figure out how to remedy.

The reason I bought the UE Triple Fi's was because I was considering customs but really didn't want to drop $250 or $300+ for even the lowest entry level customs. The price of the Triples+Reshell+Ear Impressions is a total of $180. I got the Triples that cheap. I really just wanted to try customs without dropping a ton of money that I would have trouble getting back.

I guess now I'm considering selling the Triples and just making the leap into customs, maybe the lowest price Fidelity's ($260) or using the money to maybe find an amp or something like that which would improve the Coppers and remedy the low volume sound quality drop.

Any advice here? Sorry to ask so much

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #311 of 3,191

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up about the sound change and how high some have mentioned the sibilance being. Really appreciate that as I'm sort of new to the idea of customs and reshelling.

The issue with selling the Triples and getting another IEM that's better is that I already have a better IEM. I have the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's which I have found to be better in every aspect and way. The only small fault I have found is that at lower volumes there sound quality seems to drop a bit which is still something I'm trying to figure out how to remedy.

The reason I bought the UE Triple Fi's was because I was considering customs but really didn't want to drop $250 or $300+ for even the lowest entry level customs. The price of the Triples+Reshell+Ear Impressions is a total of $180. I got the Triples that cheap. I really just wanted to try customs without dropping a ton of money that I would have trouble getting back.

I guess now I'm considering selling the Triples and just making the leap into customs, maybe the lowest price Fidelity's ($260) or using the money to maybe find an amp or something like that which would improve the Coppers and remedy the low volume sound quality drop.

Any advice here? Sorry to ask so much

Oh wow, ok didn't know all of that. If you didn't post this earlier then you should have; it would of helped me (and I'm sure some others) out a lot :)
But if you did my apologies for not remembering :/

But yea back to the thread.... if you can get all of that done for 180 then I would highly recommend it. My whole thing was that if the Triples were your only IEMs and you were willing to spend money on them for a remold, you should consider getting a different pair after selling those to get a higher overall quality of sound. Customs don't really make the phones sound better, you get the same sound with the custom fit.

But seeing that you already have "better" phones that you like, then I would say sure you could go for it, but now I have to ask... why would you do it? If you like the Coppers more and they sound better... why would you even use the custom Triples? 

If you truly want customs with better SQ you should sell the Coppers and the Triples and get some higher quality customs.... but I just based that on what I would do given similar circomstances. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #312 of 3,191
I believe I did mention this before as to the reason why I was considering getting the Triples remolded, don't worry about not remembering that part :wink:

Anyhow, the custom triples were going to be an experiment of sorts to determine if I liked the feeling, fit and isolation that customs provided. I'm really on the fence about customs and know it can be a huge money investment. I am just a bit scared about dropping a bunch of cash on customs and then maybe I don't really like the feeling or I just have horrible fit issues where I end up needing 5+ remolds/reshaping. Also, if I go customs and don't find it to be my cup of tea so to speak I'm going to take a bit of a financial hit because they can't be as easily sold as a universal.

If I got the custom triples and really liked the feel/fit and the whole experience of customs then I would sell the Triples and Coppers and get some nice customs *JH5 maybe*

The amount of doubt or questions I'm having with this now however is causing me to lean towards selling the Triples and using the funds to maybe get some sort of amp for the Coppers that would help with the sound quality drop I'm finding at lower volumes which is what I usually listen to.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #313 of 3,191
Alright, well I hope everything works well for you :) 
And yea an amp would fix that problem for you; you know when you turn the volume up on your headphones everything sometimes just sounds better? Well when you use an amp it always sounds "good" at whatever volume it is. I like to turn my amps to high gain and adjust the volume there; everything just sounds much more alive and I can have that sound at whatever volume I want. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #314 of 3,191
Thanks yeh that is what I figured. I have a Little Dot II right now which is great for when I'm at my desk at home however I'm probably going to get something portable for the Coppers. I'm thinking either a Fiio E7 or ibasso T3 as someone recommended in the Copper Thread.

The Fiio E7 seems really interesting to me and I might jump on that one in the next few days, we will have to see.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back