Indestructible open headphones for snowboarding?
Dec 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Handeh

New Head-Fier
I'm an amature snowboarder, and because of that, fall a lot.

I was wondering if there were any open - design (So I can hear others talking) cheap, pretty much indestructible headphones I can buy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dylan

EDIT:

I'd like to note that they'll be worn over a toque, so it may affect the isolation factor?

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 35
The black ones are pretty cool looking imo...

But besides those idk... portapros have very good "grip", they wont come off accidently, they're about $30 and great sq (really good bass too). You can get the black ones at best buy.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 35
What's you're budget? Maybe you could check out some of the Yuin earbuds. Since they're not IEMs and don't go into your canal, they've got almost no isolation, but unlike most non-IEM earbuds they actually sound decent

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 35
like seriously under $40

I prefer cans because they look cool, and people will know I'm listening to music so i can't 100% hear them

also, a wide headband is preferable

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 35
I'm curious, would they need to be waterproof?  I'm not sure if open headphones that are waterproof exist, but I might be wrong.  You could try the Koss KSC-75s (clip ons), plenty of fun, inexpensive (if you break them) and good (well that's a bit subjective).

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 35
You know cheap and indestructible aren't likely to go together. 

That said, these Sonys seem to be what you're looking for, though a little out of your price range. They're closed back, but I doubt that the isolation is all that great.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 35
Speaking of Sony, what about those giant PIIQ over-ear headphones.
They were made with boarding as an inspiration, so I'm willing to bet they'd be good for the actual, factual snowboarding.
It has pink trim, though.

Also, I've only tried those PIIQs for 10 minutes so I can't comment much on the sound quality, except that it's somewhat muddy and bass heavy. However, since you're gonna be whooshing down a hill, maybe you're not gonna pay as much attention to the clarity.
Check them out.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 35
Don't you have friends to snowboard/ski with? Half the fun is just being together with them on the slopes.

I think you shouldn't wear anything, just like you wouldn't if you were biking, kayaking or any other sport with a risk of death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back