Indeed & Bravo Amp: Tube Roller's Scorecard
Feb 1, 2010 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FourStarDaydream

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Im a total newbie, but have done my research on this site, as well as other places.

Long story short, I got into this hobby a few weeks ago with a pair of AD-700's. I also have an Indeed Amp from Ebay on the way, with a Electro-Harmonex 6922 tube. And from what I have been reading, tube rolling is the way to go with this amp.

So, since I purchased the Indeed Amp, I went freakin crazy, and started buying tubes.

Here are my purchases so far:

1.) Phillips SQ E88CC 1961 - Halo Getter

2.) Phillips Miniwatt SQ E88CC 1964- Halo Getter

3.) RCA ECC88 1969, German Made

4.) RCA 6922 1962, USA Made

5.) Sylvania 6922, USA Made

6.) Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88/6DJ8, 1960 - Big Ring getter

7.) Amperex ECC88/6DJ8, 1971 - dimpled disk getter

8.) Mullard E88CC, 1967

9.) Mullard E88CC/01, Military, 1974

10.) Telefunken ECC88, 1967

11.) Valvo CCA, 1962, Holland Made

This is my collection so far. Anyway, I know there is a separate thread for Bravo amps and one for Indeed Amps. Burried in those threads is some discussion into the tubes that people have been rolling into these amps.

But I wanted to get as many opinions as to the types of 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, ECC88, E88CC, PCC88's or CCA's people have tried with these amps. Since these amps are nearly identical, I figured I would include both types in this thread.

Let me know:

1.) what amp you have - bravo or indeed

2.) What type of tube you have rolled into it

3.) a general description as to the sound

4.) an overall grade for that tube's SQ.

As soon as I get my Indeed Amp, and burn it in, I will post a review as to my collection of tubes. Thanks for your help.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 28
I have a bravo amp with a Sylvsnia 6dj8 tube. This tube was a noticable improvement over the stock tube. The sound is fuller and airy sounding. Stock tube grade 5/10, replacement tube grade 8/10.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 28
Amp : Bravo V1

Tube 1 : Sylvana 6DJ8 tube - Neutral, full and airy sounding.

Tube 2 : JAN Philips 6922 tube - Liquid midrange. Very smooth sound.

@ OP - With so many tubes, do let us know YOUR impression of the same.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 28
I'll hijack this tread for 1 question:
Whats the difference between the Bravo and Indeed amp, besides from different maker brand?
In the item description on the bravo auction it says it's a upgraded version from the "old ones" is the Indeed one of the "old ones"?

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 28
^^ Nothing much. Both amps use the same circuit. Bravo however claims that it uses better capacitors and ICs. However the Indeed has a 2A PSU while the Bravo uses a 1A PSU.

V1 Bravo amps used a Chinese 6N11 tube which went out of stock. So Bravo launched the Bravo enhanced version with a better Electro Harmonix 6922 Gold tube.

That boosted the price from the average $55 shipped to about $100 shipped.

So to reduce the price, Bravo has got V2 with a different family of tubes - 12AU7 (tubes used with V2 cant be used with either the V1 or the enhanced version). The V2 tube is also a Chinese tube so costs have reduced.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassThor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll hijack this tread for 1 question:
Whats the difference between the Bravo and Indeed amp, besides from different maker brand?
In the item description on the bravo auction it says it's a upgraded version from the "old ones" is the Indeed one of the "old ones"?

I've got both. Both came with bad power supplies. Bravo shipped out a new one no questions asked and it works. Indeed wanted more money and finally sent one out when I threatened negative feedback. The one they sent is also bad.

I'd stick to the 6DJ8 circuit for best sound although I haven't heard the 12AU7 Bravo that tube is not as popular as the 6DJ8 for preamps.

Bravo has a much bigger power supply filter capacitor.

Both are pretty flimsy construction.

Both sound about the same.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any information regarding the Tesla ECC88 made from previous Czechoslovakia?

there's the old Tesla and there is the new Tesla JJ, different companies probably the same factory, you can read about the history on Wikipedia. The old ones are supposed to be pretty good if you can find one. I think the factory was set up by Phillips.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 28
Ok well hopefully this is one of the older ones as there's no mention of JJ on the front. I've just picked up what I think is an older NOS Tesla so will post back my impressions once it's arrived (also got some new trimpots
smily_headphones1.gif
)

capturefu.png

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 28
I ordered the Indeed Amp, because at the time, the Bravo Amp was $100 shipped and only via Buy It now. I ended up winning an Auction for the Indeed Amp for around $70 shipped, and that was with an Electro-Harmonix 6922, instead of the Peking tubes he was using previously.

Hopefully, my Indeed Amp will arrive in another week or so. In the meantime, Im chomping at the bit to try my new tubes. I will certainly post reviews of all of them.

I would still like to find a Pinched Waist, D-Getter Tube E88CC. Last one I saw on EBay, just sold at auction for $235. Thats just silly.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourStarDaydream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would still like to find a Pinched Waist, D-Getter Tube E88CC. Last one I saw on EBay, just sold at auction for $235. Thats just silly.

Pinched waist 6DJ8 series tubes are supposed to be really sought after.

I got the 12AU7 version of the bravo, because there are many more tubes for it on ebay than the 6DJ8. I'll probably end up buying a bulk lot of 20-50 tubes to play with
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pinched waist 6DJ8 series tubes are supposed to be really sought after.

I got the 12AU7 version of the bravo, because there are many more tubes for it on ebay than the 6DJ8. I'll probably end up buying a bulk lot of 20-50 tubes to play with
L3000.gif

20-50? wow good luck with that.

Dont now if its my ears or what but even though I could here changes with each tube, the changes were subtle. Granted the vintage tubes are better than the chinese tube that came with it but my feelings are, get a couple of different tubes, one for each region they were produced in for example.

But then wheres the fun in that
smile.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by technocrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my bravo v2 today. lots of gain. When are we gonna start hearing about different tubes in them?

The Bravo has been around for a few months now and I think anyone interested in it on here would have got it by now. So most of us have version one with the 6dj8.

I think it will be down to you to trailblaze the bravo V2 tube rolling
o2smile.gif

12AU7
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back