Incredible audiophile setup in Korean movie
May 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
The amp in the back looks similar to 1963 Luxman reissue (Luxman sq-38u). 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/luxman2/38.html

It looks similar because the Luxman is (visually, at least) a knock-off of the old Marantz 7, which is the preamp that's actually pictured in that movie cap. The Marantz 7's faceplate layout is distinctively much more symmetric.

I know a guy that is considering building a custom tube preamp based on the 7's circuit, but modified to use 6H30 tubes and sans tone controls. I love my modern 6H30 preamp, but I also appreciate the sound of classic vintage gear, so I thought that was pretty damn cool.

May 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 26
Wow... that IS a Marantz 7... Great eyes guys! Could you guys try to identify the rest of the equipment? I took some more screens. There seems to be 2 really large speakers at the top corners of his listening room. Any idea what they are?

May 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 26
The speakers in the corners are the legendary JBL Hartsfield speakers. They are amazing and effortless in their ability to reproduce a huge dynamic range.

The turntable is indeed a Garrard 301.

Makes sense he would have the JBL Hartsfield's as a compliment to the Paragon.

May 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
Wow... Thanks LFF. How much money are we talking about with all this equipment?

The Hartsfields usually go between 20k - 40k for originals in great condition. Reproductions can be purchased for about 9k - 15k.

The Garrard 301 usually sells for around 2-3k in great condition and if it's a grease bearing model.

I saw a Paragon once go for 10k in mint condition.

The Marantz 7 usually goes anywhere from 2k - 6k depending on condition.

May 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
The Hartsfields usually go between 20k - 40k for originals in great condition. Reproductions can be purchased for about 9k - 15k.

The Garrard 301 usually sells for around 2-3k in great condition and if it's a grease bearing model.

I saw a Paragon once go for 10k in mint condition.

The Marantz 7 usually goes anywhere from 2k - 6k depending on condition.

Thanks for the prices! This is all really interesting. I wonder how these legendary pieces compare to Quad electrostatics...

May 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
The first thing I though of when I see him in that chair is that maxell commercial 

IIRC, the chair in the Maxwell commercials is a Le Corbusier. Still available, but a reasonably-priced version is available from Shangri-La furniture.

It would be nice to have one as a listening chair.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.italydesign.com/occasional-chairs.html   
I wonder if they'd take my form of layaway. A friend of mine who is an architect told me about those chairs.

May 31, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 26
I still love that Maxell commercial. Love seeing those JBL's 4311's!!!

May 31, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 26
Aren't architects required by law to purchase Le Corbusier furniture? :D

(For the record, I love architects and Le Corbusier furniture.)

Really, check out Shangri-La. You can get good repros of modernist furniture at a reasonable price. I plan to order some later this year. You can also find some nice furniture from Design Within Reach and Highbrow Furniture.

May 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #25 of 26
He has an expensive chair ($3k) but he bought something else..... forgot what, I don't think it is on that website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back